125cc
125cc
City: Listowel
Year: 2017
Colour: Black & Orange

Clutch hydraulics needed bleeding

Post by Shane » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:46 pm

boring story but I will share it....

2016 SDR which I got new in September 2016. 8000 kms or so on it now.

I hadn't ridden my bike much yet this year, we had a long long cold winter here in Ontario and a death in the family hasn't left much time for riding. Anyways, in the few short rides I have been out on this year I have noticed the bike was getting harder and harder to shift into neutral when the engine was running, kinda weird...I thought about it some and figured the clutch line must need to be bled. Was in KTM dealer last week and mentioned to service guy in passing that I was gonna do it. He said they have had at least 25 (italian and austrian) bikes in this spring with clutch and/or brake systems that needed bleeding, way more than usual. He speculated the bikes didn't like something with the cold climate here in Ontario this past winter....

So Saturday I pump a bunch on fluid from the top down, helps but I feel it could be better. Do it again, still feels like it could be better. This time bleed the master cylinder first and then do the line to the slave again. Go for a ride, will shift into neutral but not great so back to garage. By now the bike is hot so I leave it to cool.

Sunday, pump a bunch of fluid through the line again. Go for a ride, this time the clutch lever has completely changed. Clutch is completely disengaged in first 1/2 of lever travel. Perfect, except that now I look like a newb riding around on it, I have to recalibrate left hand now haha.

Of interest to me was that my clutch has never felt this positive since I got bike. Makes me think that the clutch line has always had air or water or something foreign in it since new.

mrossk
500cc
500cc
City: santa fe
Year: 2015

Re: Clutch hydraulics needed bleeding

Post by mrossk » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:57 pm

I also recently bled the clutch- bleeding at the slave had little to no effect, but I had the same results as you after bleeding the master. Totally different feel and engagement point, but it feels good. It's not the first time I've had to bleed the master. Every 6 months or so. Must be a small air leak somewhere.

big tall dave
125cc
125cc
City: Nashville
Year: 2016

Re: Clutch hydraulics needed bleeding

Post by big tall dave » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:07 pm

mrossk wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:57 pm
I also recently bled the clutch- bleeding at the slave had little to no effect, but I had the same results as you after bleeding the master. Totally different feel and engagement point, but it feels good. It's not the first time I've had to bleed the master. Every 6 months or so. Must be a small air leak somewhere.
Mine too. I’ve noticed that all my hydraulic fluids get really dark, really quickly as well. My SD has always been in the southern US and I never had this prob before with any other bikes back in Canada. Maybe its a KTM/European bike thing?