mogas64
500cc
500cc
City: Leamington Spa
Year: 2016
Model: SMT

Turning off MTC!

Post by mogas64 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:49 pm

So what actually happens if I turn off the MTC on my Super Duke R.
Current bike, 2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke R SE with lots of spangly bits and a private plate Fnarr Fnarr !!!🇬🇧

chevvy
50cc
50cc
City: Tauranga
Year: 2016

Re: Turning off MTC!

Post by chevvy » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:18 am

turning off the mtc, really just means you need a more cautious approach to throttle usage, wheelspin in corners, and strait lines , oh and wheelies, did I mention wheelies,
personally I dont like wheelies LOL

Gimlet
900cc
900cc
City: Dorset
Year: 2010
Colour: Black

Re: Turning off MTC!

Post by Gimlet » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:28 pm

If it's a pre-'17 bike it will accelerate harder in a straight line on dry roads because the MTC feathers the power. And yes it will wheelie and keep wheelying. Doesn't alter the throttle timing though so you have to be pretty ham-fisted to get caught out popping un-planned fat ones or losing the back end.
If you're yanking the throttle and accelerating through bends and you're not a pro-racer who knows how to use controlled sliding to turn late with electronic intervention, then you're living on borrowed time anyway. If you want to do that with electronics, you need a more sophisticated electronics suite than the original SDR has got anyway.

I still say the progressive throttle timing does more harm than good when it comes to safety because your right hand doesn't feel as connected to the rear tyre as it should. A direct old-school 1:1 cable connection is more brutal if you ride like a baboon but you always know where you are with your power inputs. You feel more in control.
I'm hoping when it comes to remapping when the Rottweiler goes on mine, it will be possible to sharpen that throttle connection.