Rear Shock Removal

drdon
125cc
125cc
City: Kenwood
Year: 2018

Rear Shock Removal

Post by drdon » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:53 pm

I need to remove my shock and have a couple of questions for anyone who has done this. 1) Does the rear wheel have to be removed. 2) Will the swing arm drop away freeing the shock once the bottom and top bolts are removed.

I have a Bursig stand and have shimmed the stand so that the rear wheel is about 6 inches off the ground. When I removed the bottom shock bolt and loosened the lop the swing arm will not drop away from the shock? I don't want to muscle this until I know exactly what steps to take on what otherwise should be a simple process. It appears to be due to a snug fit between the bottom shock mount and the swing arm but when I try to force the wheel down it won't budge as if there's something preventing the swing arm from lowering further. I never had this problem with my double swing arm KTMs.

drdon
125cc
125cc

Re: Rear Shock Removal

Post by drdon » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:21 pm

Problem solved. I just had to remove most of the exhaust, loosen the subframe and get aggressive. Shock mounts are almost a press fit.

michaelnel
Supporter
Supporter
City: Angels Camp, CA
Year: 2016
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by michaelnel » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:24 pm

See the service manual for a little tool you have to make out of a length of threaded rod or a long bolt and two flange nuts. It is used to press the bushings to the side so you can fit the shock back in there. This is the one I made and used:

Use it on both top and bottom shock bushings in the frame.

drdon
125cc
125cc

Post by drdon » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:38 pm

Not sure exactly how this is used. There is an internal press fit steel bushing on the right side of the swing arm that projects a few thousands into the slot cut in the swing arm. There are not bushings, just tabs on the upper frame shock mount. I've sent the shocks off so I can't look at them. Is this bolt to be used on the shock mounts or the frame mounts? I don't have a service manual.

I've been wondering about installation as I had to use a drift punch through the swing arm shock cut out to release the bottom shock mount.

drdon
125cc
125cc

Post by drdon » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:35 pm

And please provide the specifications of the bolt and how it is used. It appears that the press fit bushing in the swing arm is the only bushing that can be moved, e.g. pulled back from the slot hole.

michaelnel
Supporter
Supporter
City: Angels Camp, CA
Year: 2016
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by michaelnel » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:17 pm

I don't have specs for the bolt. It's not even metric, mine is SAE. It doesn't actually thread into anything on the bike, so the threads don't matter. The flanges on the flange nuts need to be big enough to drive the movable bushing to the side, creating more clearance for installation.

To use it, you put the bolt through the shock bolt hole and then thread the nuts on as shown in the picture. Run them as far apart as you can with your fingers until they are up against the inner surfaces of the bushings in the swingarm (or the frame for the top mount), then use a wrench to move them farther apart and push the bushing flush with the swingarm / frame surface.

Then you can remove the "tool" and put the shock in. Once the shock is in and the shock mounting bolts are in place, tightening the bolts closes the clearance back up.

You really ought to get a factory service manual.

drdon
125cc
125cc

Post by drdon » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:36 pm

Thanks for your help.

drdon
125cc
125cc

Post by drdon » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:32 pm

Just installed my Super Plush Suspension revalved forks and shock. Excellent improvement in comfort without sacrificing performance. Ride harshness is GONE. Highly recommended for anyone with this bike.