SAS Canisterectomy throws engine light

drdon
125cc
125cc
City: Kenwood
Year: 2018

SAS Canisterectomy throws engine light

Post by drdon » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:17 pm

I recently installed a full Akra system, PCV with map from Chris Kelly, and removed the canister and SAS. I installed all dongles (2) and the system threw a engine check light. I removed everything and checked all connections with no good result. The bike runs great but still throws the engine light. Help!

Daniro
250cc
250cc
City: Dubai
Year: 2016
Colour: Black

Re: SAS Canisterectomy throws engine light

Post by Daniro » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:39 pm

Did you remap the engine? This might be the reason if you didn't. If you did, sometimes even with the dealers happens that their diagnostic tool gets some glitch and screws up the map. Happened to me that when remapping with Akra Evo map i got all the interface from Superduke GT for the features I didn't have on R. Guys from the factory did the reamapping later to fix it up and they mention in the email that this is still new with KTM and this kinda issues can be expected to happen from time to time.
KTM all the way! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

drdon
125cc
125cc

Post by drdon » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:32 pm

I installed the KTM supplied Akrapovic Evolution System KTM 1290 and removed the SAS. The KTM system did not come with the correct canister dongle for my bike for some strange reason. The supplied dongle did not fit. At the same time I installed a used PCV from a guy who was selling parts off his bike. It came with the original the bill of sale and was a PCV map for a 1290 with a Sparks can, decibel killer removed. I rode the bike which performed well but expectedly, threw an engine light. I got I ordered the correct dongle from Rottweiler and installed what Dynojet told me was the correct map. After installing the last dongle from Rottweiler it still throws that light.

Daniro
250cc
250cc

Post by Daniro » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:37 pm

Engine light is going off because of "wrong" air/fuel mixture according to ECU which even with dongle instead of SAS is getting more air into the mix and running too lean and needs flashing/remapping. It's not like BMW which ECU has autotune so it adjusts after this mods itself.

drdon
125cc
125cc

Post by drdon » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:12 pm

Daniro wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:37 pm
Engine light is going off because of "wrong" air/fuel mixture according to ECU which even with dongle instead of SAS is getting more air into the mix and running too lean and needs flashing/remapping. It's not like BMW which ECU has autotune so it adjusts after this mods itself.
I will have a tech check it this week but I doubt it. The bike used to get 41 mpg or more all day long (even with aggressive riding) and now it gets 37 mpg at best.

drdon
125cc
125cc

Post by drdon » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:49 am

I found out the light comes from the O2 sensors due to the different mapping . The used PCV did not come with O2 dongles. Rottweiler has some and that will allow me to disconnect the sensors and correct the problem.

Daniro
250cc
250cc

Post by Daniro » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:08 am

Told ya it was the map problem. Glad you sorted it out.

drdon
125cc
125cc

Post by drdon » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:01 pm

Got the 02 dongles yesterday. Installed them and removed the 02 sensors and the light continues. The tech who checked the code said he thought the system was too rich but that's his seat of the pants assessment. KTM dealers will not work on the bike due to the SAS removal so I need to find a KTM savvy tech in the area. Also, I read on the web that a guy replaced his SD horn with a louder after market and that threw an engine light.

Daniro
250cc
250cc

Post by Daniro » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:46 pm

Man, remap the ECU! :)

drdon
125cc
125cc

Post by drdon » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:23 pm

The ECU HAD been remapped! It came remapped with a PCV map for a Sparks can. It threw an engine light. I then remapped with a map (again) designed by Dynamax with a map designed specifically for the Akrapovic full titanium exhaust and still throws a light. KTM dealers in Cali won't work on the bike although I got a service manager to bring up the code and talk to KTM directly about the problem. KTM factory said disconnect and dongle the 02 sensors. I need to find an independent tech and do some dyno work.

Daniro
250cc
250cc

Post by Daniro » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:53 pm

in that case you just need the error to be deleted by KTM diagnostic tool, otherwise you have no problem with the engine and how it runs, it's just the computer throwing an error since it's not reading official map. No Dyno will sort that out since only the dealers are having KTM dg tool/machine for this purpose. If the bike is still under warranty, disconnect PCV and revert it to stock if possible, find another dealer and play dumb and ask them to delete this error for ya. You can just say the light just popped up after you removed SAS which is actually the case and leave out unofficial ECU flashing. Good luck!

drdon
125cc
125cc

Post by drdon » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:16 pm

I assumed this was the problem and even disconnected the battery for a day to see if it would clear the error code. But I did that before adding the 02 dongles. I will return to the service manager who read the error code and ask him to delete the code. Thanks for your help.

drdon
125cc
125cc

Post by drdon » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:42 pm

I can't seem to find a solution to this issue even though I've talked to two KTM techs one of whom said he talked to KTM. Engine lights on KTM's do not have to be reset. My bike has the O2 sensors removed and Rottweiler dongles in place. One tech said the dongles were not throwing the correct resistance. Rottweiler says they have never known any of their dongles to have a problem. Plus, my bike threw a light when the stock )2 sensors were in place. The computer reads a fueling problem with the O2 sensors. Rottweiler says the engine light cannot be thrown by the PCV because the ECU does not know there is even an PCV installed. So the light has nothing to do with fuel mapping. I've got this question posted on several sites and as yet have no answers.