Carbon fibre rear hugger fitting!

Post Reply
mogas64
500cc
500cc
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:45 pm
Country: England
City: Leamington Spa
Year: 2016
Model: SMT
Location: Warwickshire

Carbon fibre rear hugger fitting!

Post by mogas64 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:10 pm

I assume it's easy to install as far as I can see just a few screws to undo , unless anyone knows different?.
Current bike, 2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke R Edizione Speciale, with lots of spangly bits and a private plate Fnarr Fnarr !!!🇬🇧

Kcal
250cc
250cc
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:59 pm
Country: United States
City: Newark
Year: 2017

Re: Carbon fibre rear hugger fitting!

Post by Kcal » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:42 am

I just did this install. Wasn’t too bad. Stock hugger has molded clasps for the brake and speed sensor/abs but the carbon one has little brackets epoxied in that you have to put zip straps in and cinch down the cables to hold them up out of way for lower cover. The under cover is the same part from stock to Akro hugger so 4 screws underneath and 2 screws on top the pivot point.

Only pain is laying on ground to cinch zip straps well enough.

Image

Fry
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 517
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:47 am
Country: United States
City: Auburn
Year: 2017

Re: Carbon fibre rear hugger fitting!

Post by Fry » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:05 pm

Kcal wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:42 am
I just did this install. Wasn’t too bad. Stock hugger has molded clasps for the brake and speed sensor/abs but the carbon one has little brackets epoxied in that you have to put zip straps in and cinch down the cables to hold them up out of way for lower cover. The under cover is the same part from stock to Akro hugger so 4 screws underneath and 2 screws on top the pivot point.

Only pain is laying on ground to cinch zip straps well enough.

Image
Yeah, getting it all to "Clam Shell" closed, and cables Zip Tied in was real fun, LOL....Not.

mogas64
500cc
500cc
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:45 pm
Country: England
City: Leamington Spa
Year: 2016
Model: SMT
Location: Warwickshire

Re: Carbon fibre rear hugger fitting!

Post by mogas64 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:44 am

I've decided to leave it for now seeing as it's best part of £400 !! , and I'm not really a massive fan of smothering my bike in carbon fibre, the only thing I have replaced in carbon fibre is the cheap tin heat shield on the exhaust.also it sounds like a lot of faffing around, had enough of that fitting a rad guard I got from Germany , but thanks for all your input, otherwise I would not have known. Thanks very much.....cheerio.
Current bike, 2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke R Edizione Speciale, with lots of spangly bits and a private plate Fnarr Fnarr !!!🇬🇧

Fry
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 517
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:47 am
Country: United States
City: Auburn
Year: 2017

Re: Carbon fibre rear hugger fitting!

Post by Fry » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:19 pm

mogas64 wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:44 am
I've decided to leave it for now seeing as it's best part of £400 !! , and I'm not really a massive fan of smothering my bike in carbon fibre, the only thing I have replaced in carbon fibre is the cheap tin heat shield on the exhaust.also it sounds like a lot of faffing around, had enough of that fitting a rad guard I got from Germany , but thanks for all your input, otherwise I would not have known. Thanks very much.....cheerio.
I too always struggle with how much CF to add (I don't factor my BST rims into this) and as of now I only have the Akra rear hugger. Though common sense, when watching a Baron Von Grumble video or maybe when reading a post on this site it was mentioned to try and source all of the CF from one supplier\manufacturer as it will keep the look unified without different CF weaves or top coats mixing up the overall look. The Akra stuff is spendy but I must say its very high quality and fitment seems very good as well, plus the matte look, looks great to me. I plan on grabbing the Akra CF Full Frt Fender and the Akra CF Gas Cap Surround, those will be the only other items I add.

mogas64
500cc
500cc
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:45 pm
Country: England
City: Leamington Spa
Year: 2016
Model: SMT
Location: Warwickshire

Re: Carbon fibre rear hugger fitting!

Post by mogas64 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:39 pm

The SD R in the pic needs to remove his pillion pegs , makes the bike look much more spondicious!, the bit you need is in the KTM tool kit, just pop it in a ratchet and off you go, 15min job if that!!.
Current bike, 2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke R Edizione Speciale, with lots of spangly bits and a private plate Fnarr Fnarr !!!🇬🇧

Kcal
250cc
250cc
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:59 pm
Country: United States
City: Newark
Year: 2017

Re: Carbon fibre rear hugger fitting!

Post by Kcal » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:42 am

mogas64 wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:39 pm
The SD R in the pic needs to remove his pillion pegs , makes the bike look much more spondicious!, the bit you need is in the KTM tool kit, just pop it in a ratchet and off you go, 15min job if that!!.
Yes I would love to but I’m awaiting the rear bags which I believe need those pegs. I never have a pillion so no need for them otherwise.

User avatar
nrvous
250cc
250cc
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:47 pm
Country: Estonia
City: Tallinn
Year: 2018
Colour: White

Re: Carbon fibre rear hugger fitting!

Post by nrvous » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:19 am

Fry wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:19 pm
mogas64 wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:44 am
I've decided to leave it for now seeing as it's best part of £400 !! , and I'm not really a massive fan of smothering my bike in carbon fibre, the only thing I have replaced in carbon fibre is the cheap tin heat shield on the exhaust.also it sounds like a lot of faffing around, had enough of that fitting a rad guard I got from Germany , but thanks for all your input, otherwise I would not have known. Thanks very much.....cheerio.
I too always struggle with how much CF to add (I don't factor my BST rims into this) and as of now I only have the Akra rear hugger. Though common sense, when watching a Baron Von Grumble video or maybe when reading a post on this site it was mentioned to try and source all of the CF from one supplier\manufacturer as it will keep the look unified without different CF weaves or top coats mixing up the overall look. The Akra stuff is spendy but I must say its very high quality and fitment seems very good as well, plus the matte look, looks great to me. I plan on grabbing the Akra CF Full Frt Fender and the Akra CF Gas Cap Surround, those will be the only other items I add.
Do you know the part number for Akra CF Gas Cap Surround?

Fry
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 517
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:47 am
Country: United States
City: Auburn
Year: 2017

Re: Carbon fibre rear hugger fitting!

Post by Fry » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:45 pm

https://www.ktm-parts.com/61607958000.html

I think this is the Part# 61607958000

mogas64
500cc
500cc
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:45 pm
Country: England
City: Leamington Spa
Year: 2016
Model: SMT
Location: Warwickshire

Re: Carbon fibre rear hugger fitting!

Post by mogas64 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:01 pm

You actually have to remove your gas filler cap to install the C.F. surround.
Current bike, 2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke R Edizione Speciale, with lots of spangly bits and a private plate Fnarr Fnarr !!!🇬🇧

Post Reply