vernonbc
250cc
250cc
City: Vernon
Year: 2014
Colour: Black & Orange

OpenFlash Tablet (My little review)

Post by vernonbc » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:03 pm

As good as the PCV and Autotune is, I have never been a fan of piggyback devices on my bike.
For the longest time I had been considering the Rexxer tablet but for some strange reason never
got around to purchasing it and that may have been because I had to make the purchase out of europe,
so support would most likely have been an issue.

Then the OpenFlash Tablet (OFT) was mentioned a few times on a couple of KTM forums, so I decided to look into that.
Long story short, I decided to purchase the tablet. For us Canadians it is pricey when you factor in the
exchange rate and any other rediculous fees our government chooses to take. In the end it was worth it.

After receiving the OFT, I connected it to the bike so that it could download the stock tune from my ECU. I then emailed the tune, along with the config of my bike to Shiv at OpenFlash so that he could come up with a tune for me. I was rather surprised to see a tune in my inbox the next day. I loaded the tune onto my OFT and flashed the tune to the bike thinking that there is no wasy this could be a good tune, having been made up that quickly.
With tune loaded I started up the bike, let it warm up a bit and went for a ride. First thing I noticed was the dreaded hanging idle, which all but disapeared
after riding for about 30 minutes. Hanging idle seems to be a symptom of flashing the ecu as I had it when the akra map was loaded. It also went away after a lengthy ride. Maybe that is why adaptive parameters have to be reset.

The first ride with this tune just blew me away. It was just as good if not better than my Autotuned PCV tune. The other thing that I noticed was that the bike was smoother at the cruising rpm. I continued to ride with the tune and make a mental note of anything that did not feel right. So far I have found nothing wrong with the tune.
Condidering OpenFlash is 1300 miles away from me, Shiv did an amazing job with this tune. Now I am starting to wonder what the tune would be like if my bike was tuned on a dyno by Shiv. If I lived in california I would have let Shiv have his way with my bike.

I sent an email off to OpenFlash to see if he can adjust the throttle ratio......good news. YES HE CAN. Shive tweaked the tune to make the throttle a bit more aggressive.
I loaded the tune and noticed a difference but it still was not enough for me. The next tune he sent was nearly a 1:1 ratio. I loaded the tune, went for a ride and giggled the entire time. What a blast BUT, nearly 1:1 is not a safe ratio in 1st and 2nd gear. Throttle is very twitchy, difficult to smooth shift into 2nd and you better be 101 percent aware while you ride in 1st or 2nd gear or you will loose the bike. I am now waiting for a tune where the throttle is about 1/3 more aggressive fromt the first tune he sent me. I can hardly wait and will most likely leave it at what he sends me. I can always load the nearly 1:1 tune if I want some real dangerous fun.

So far the only other things you can do with the OFT is clear codes, reset the "neutral" indicator and some very basic diagnostics. Shiv says that within the next few weeks there will be a firmware update which will bring in "data logging" (I think) and other functions. I am hoping for adaptive parameter reset.

For those of you in the know, you can download TunerPro and load a special file that you need to get from Shiv so that you can do your own tuning. I have looked at the software with my map loaded and chose not to play with anything as I do not understand the info in the cells and what they all mean or represent.

Those of you that have been on the fence with this tablet can finally get off the fence. If I had to do it all over again, I would have gone straight to the OFT. Go for it, you will not regret it and you will get top notch customer service at the same time.

I hope to see other 1290 owners go the OFT route and I'm pretty sure that OpenFlash would like to see the same. In the end I believe we will all benefit.

Newjerseyduke
675cc
675cc
City: Riverdale , NJ
Year: 2015

Re: OpenFlash Tablet (My little review)

Post by Newjerseyduke » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:51 am

I'm very interested in this. Can he compensate for full evo system and flash. Motohooligan intake etc. I'm a little concerned about the hanging idle as so far far I've been un effected by it. Also. How does it connect to the bike?
2015 SDR 1290

vernonbc
250cc
250cc

Post by vernonbc » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:05 pm

Newjerseyduke wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:51 am
I'm very interested in this. Can he compensate for full evo system and flash. Motohooligan intake etc. I'm a little concerned about the hanging idle as so far far I've been un effected by it. Also. How does it connect to the bike?
The OpenFlash tune completely replaces whatever map is in the ecu. The tablet hooks up to the diagnostic port under the seat and and you load the map from the tablet to the ecu then remove the tablet. When my bike was originally flashed with the akro map I had the hanging idle but it went away after about a 30 minute ride. I noticed that every time I flash the ecu with the tablet I get the hanging idle, only to have it disappear after about a 30 minute ride. I have flashed my bike 4 times now and each time I have had the hanging idle and each time it went away after a ride. I am guessing that this is a side affect of altering the ecu and the bike needs to re-adapt to the change. Probably the reason the dealer is supposed to reset adaptive parameters after installing the akro map. Most dealers probably do not reset them.

For the record, I have the Motohooligan box, 80mm stacks x 2, full akro evo exhaust and I am at 1300 feet above sea level and my bike runs better than when I had the pcv with autoune.

Newjerseyduke
675cc
675cc

Post by Newjerseyduke » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:54 pm

We will have the identical set up. Except I'm at sea level. I think I might do this. Thanks.
2015 SDR 1290

Newjerseyduke
675cc
675cc

Post by Newjerseyduke » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:57 pm

Are you still using the o2 sensors or rotty dongles? Thanks for your help.
2015 SDR 1290

vernonbc
250cc
250cc

Post by vernonbc » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:24 am

Newjerseyduke wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:57 pm
Are you still using the o2 sensors or rotty dongles? Thanks for your help.
Wow that is one thing I forgot to mention. Yes you do need to use the O2 sensors. I have them installed on my akro evo and the bike has no surging at low rpms especially in 1st gear. I did not want to use them as the bike was so smooth at low rpms without them but Shiv somehow works magic and my bike is silky smooth even with the o2 sensors installed.

Newjerseyduke
675cc
675cc

Post by Newjerseyduke » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:24 pm

You just made my day. Thanks so much. I'm ordering one.
2015 SDR 1290

Newjerseyduke
675cc
675cc

Post by Newjerseyduke » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:22 am

I'm out of warranty by a week but what do you think would happan if a dealer plugged in the Ktm diagnostic computer and the ecu had an opentune flash loaded. I'm still getting this thing just curious.

Bike goes in tomorrow for the auto canceling blinkers code, super squeaky back brake and just a check for updates And I want them to look at my cam chain tensioners. Then it's game freakin on. Can't wait.
2015 SDR 1290

vernonbc
250cc
250cc

Post by vernonbc » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:31 am

Newjerseyduke wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:22 am
I'm out of warranty by a week but what do you think would happan if a dealer plugged in the Ktm diagnostic computer and the ecu had an opentune flash loaded. I'm still getting this thing just curious.

Bike goes in tomorrow for the auto canceling blinkers code, super squeaky back brake and just a check for updates And I want them to look at my cam chain tensioners. Then it's game freakin on. Can't wait.
Get the bike in the shop first for any maintenance or work that needs to be done to the bike. If anything is being done to the electronics such as updates or new features added make sure that is also done before you even think about plugging in the tablet.
When you plug in the tablet and download the tune that is in the bike, the tablet becomes officially "married" to the bike and can only be used on your bike. If anything is changed on the ecu by the dealer then the tablet thinks it is attached to a different bike an will no longer function. From what the instructions for the OFT say is that this cannot be reversed.
If down the road the bike needs to go into the shop for any type of work, you should flash the original tune back to the bike, which would then "unmarry" the tablet. When you get the bike back you just re-marry the tablet and reinstall your tune. Sounds a little overwhelming but it is no big deal. When you get the tablet just read all of the instructions and Shiv at OpenFlash is very helpful and will answer your questions.

Newjerseyduke
675cc
675cc

Post by Newjerseyduke » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:13 pm

that makes perfect sense,
2015 SDR 1290

Newjerseyduke
675cc
675cc

Post by Newjerseyduke » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:28 pm

Any updates. Has anything changed. Did the hanging idle return to normal. My bike hot idles at 1400rpm. Can you comment on low rpm drive ability ?
2015 SDR 1290

vernonbc
250cc
250cc

Post by vernonbc » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:05 pm

Newjerseyduke wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:28 pm
Any updates. Has anything changed. Did the hanging idle return to normal. My bike hot idles at 1400rpm. Can you comment on low rpm drive ability ?
After updating the map one more time, the last maps throttle curve was way too aggressive (dangerous), my idle was hanging once again. After taking the bike for a good ride (about 1 hour) the idle is now back to normal. I think that I mentioned previously that the hanging idle appears to be a result of the map change. The bike needs to re-adapt which is why it probably goes back to normal after a long ride.
As for low rpm driveability, I would say it is just as good as when I removed the O2 sensors and installed the dongles. With O2 sensors back in it is nice and smooth.
Has your bike always idled at 1400? Maybe see if your dealer can adjust that before you use the tablet on the bike. My guess is that it will still idle at 1400 even with the OFT. The tablet, at this point in time, only remaps, adjusts ignition timing and throttle curve.

Newjerseyduke
675cc
675cc

Post by Newjerseyduke » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:09 pm

thanks again for answering my questions. I appreciate your help.
2015 SDR 1290

vernonbc
250cc
250cc

Post by vernonbc » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:25 am

No problem. So far it looks like you and I are the only 2 keeping this thread going.
When you get your tablet, post what you think. The more 1290 owners that decide on this tablet the better for all of us. Also, Shiv at OpenFlash is really good at answering questions. He may even be able to tweak things that we are not aware of yet.

Newjerseyduke
675cc
675cc

Post by Newjerseyduke » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:44 am

Will do.
2015 SDR 1290

crazyinp
675cc
675cc
City: San Jose

Post by crazyinp » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:11 pm

Very tempting... especially since the dealer refuse to load the AKRA map in California. Also, know Shiv from the EVO times. If I decide to keep the SDR for a long run, this would be the path I will take. Just waiting to see what Ducati and KTM will show in November
______
In the Garage:
2015 KTM Superduke 1290R
2013 Ducati Panigale R

Newjerseyduke
675cc
675cc

Post by Newjerseyduke » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:52 pm

Yes. This is a real savior for the guys who can't get the akrapovic map.
2015 SDR 1290

vernonbc
250cc
250cc

Post by vernonbc » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:57 pm

I think the Akra map is over-hyped shite. When my bike was flashed with the akra map the bike felt like it had less power than when the bike was stock. When I originally got the akra evo system, I still had the stock airbox with the K&N filter that was supplied. The bike appeared gutless and even the manager of the local ktm dealer noticed that as well when he took my bike for a ride. I think the problem is that the akra map is a "one map fits all" solution. I am at about 1200 feet above sea level and my bike ran way too rich with that map. OpenFlash made my bike the beast that it is supposed to be.

5150 Pops
Supporter
Supporter
City: NORTH CHESTERFIELD
Colour: Black

Post by 5150 Pops » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:27 am

vernonbc wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:25 am
No problem. So far it looks like you and I are the only 2 keeping this thread going.
When you get your tablet, post what you think. The more 1290 owners that decide on this tablet the better for all of us. Also, Shiv at OpenFlash is really good at answering questions. He may even be able to tweak things that we are not aware of yet.
I'm glad it worked well for you. I also do not like the whole add-on/intercept signals and trick ECU modules too.

Maybe I read it and it didn't register, how many times will he write/update a tune?
The last time I checked he was showing $699USD which is kind of steep, but I also didn't realize that he is able to load a utility map and provide software for the end user (or his local trusted tuner) to further tweak. That is actually not such a bad deal if all of that is included in the price of entry.
The KTM User Setting Tool which was able to be used via a utility map provided by KTM to your dealer to load in the ECU of some bikes including the RC8R was a little bit less, and there were conflicting reports whether it would work on SD. Some said it would work on ANY Keihin ECU as long as a utility map was loaded first, others simply read the instructions and concluded it would only work on the bikes listed in the KTM instructions.

The tool itself AND the software is ALL 100% Keihin, but there's some legal issues with Keihin being an OEM supplier to KTM and others, likely can not sell directly to the GenPop, only dealer enterprises/shops.

Jersey man....if you have not already purchased yours, an inquiry direct to Shiv about a discount if say 10-12 of your closest virtual friends would pony up too in a Group Buy. Have it open to the CONUSA people to keep it simple for a 2 week window, and then another 2-4 weeks for Shiv to fulfill the orders.

We'd all have to agree to provide testimonials to try to minimize loss per unit to Shiv, so he would stand to increase his sales as a result.

Newjerseyduke
675cc
675cc

Post by Newjerseyduke » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:16 am

i have not ordered yet, still messing around with my aux lights install which is getting out of control $$ wise. lets see how many guys will actually pay for one and then i will ask. I;m getting one regardless and will be installing it and my motobox next oil change in about 900 miles. but saving a few bucks never hurts either.
2015 SDR 1290