Spiff
Supporter
Supporter
City: Las Vegas
Year: 2017
Colour: Black & Orange

ABS dongle

Post by Spiff » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:15 pm

Does anyone out there have experience with a dongle to save the abs settings (my bike is a 17). I have been experimenting with the smoto setting, and think I like it. An unseen benifit is the MSR being shut off. Makes the bike feel much more natural to me. Unless I was touring or carrying a passenger I don't think I like the MSR.

5150 Pops
Supporter
Supporter
City: NORTH CHESTERFIELD
Year: 2015
Colour: Black

Re: ABS dongle

Post by 5150 Pops » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:06 am

Spiff wrote:Does anyone out there have experience with a dongle to save the abs settings (my bike is a 17). I have been experimenting with the smoto setting, and think I like it. An unseen benifit is the MSR being shut off. Makes the bike feel much more natural to me. Unless I was touring or carrying a passenger I don't think I like the MSR.
I don't have a '17 but a lowly '15, I do have. Also have the dongle.
So I can tell a couple things as it concerns the first gen bikes, whether it applies 100% to the 2nd IDK.

With it plugged in, as mine has been since the day it arrived, EVERYTIME you start the bike the display will flash with the message "Not Legal" so long as you have the ABS deactivated. It may actually do it regardless, but my point is, it's no big deal, because all you need to do, is toggle up or down, quick, and it stops flashing.
You can deactivate msr, ABS, and I think I read on the new bike, you may even be able to deactivate wheelie control, as it is a now a separate nanny, but I'm probably wrong. Once you make the selection to either change modes in abs or msr, or even turn them completely off, you will NEVER have to screw around and do it again, no matter how many times you cycle the key on/off, provided you don't unplug the dongle.

I have yet to confirm, (will, when I get home) it also allows you to activate/deactivate the LDD code which is Light Diagnosis Deactivation, and is a software option, much like the self cancelling turn signals. You have to have the code flashed to your ECU AND have the Dongle plugged in, for it to open that menu, allowing the rider to choose.
Comes in handy if you want to race or do a trackday, and not worry about having to buy a new $600 headlight.
What this does is allow ALL lights to be unplugged and removed, without illuminating the check engine light, as well as the 5-6 fault messages that will follow as well.
It was pricey, but worth it to me, to not have the distraction it causes, AND now if the check engine light comes on, HOPEFULLY it will, before I grenade the engine.

I will post a Dropbox video link, later if what I'm told is correct.

Newjerseyduke
675cc
675cc
City: Riverdale , NJ

Post by Newjerseyduke » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:30 am

so the dongle does keep the MTC setting off if thats where you set it? Ive heard so many mixed reviews.
2015 SDR 1290

5150 Pops
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 5150 Pops » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:01 am

Newjerseyduke wrote:so the dongle does keep the MTC setting off if thats where you set it? Ive heard so many mixed reviews.
Yes, if you turn it off, the next time you start the bike, it will still be off, provided........you don't unplug the dongle, and possibly disconnect the battery.
Mtc in rain will be rain, next time you ride, street will still be street, and sport will be sport.

Same holds true for ABS off, or if you change it to supermoto.

Unfortunately I learned tonight that it appears instead of the LDD code being flashed in, I have instead a new option to select "80 oct" which I imagine is the "bad gas" KTM cryptically refers to in their literature.
The actual dealer did this, not an employee, so me thinks this option code and the LDD option code are likely 1 digit off, and he selected the wrong one. It will be rectified, but not before this weekend's track festivities.

Sort of a PITA, but it's not like I've never been so confident I did work completely right, only to have someone come behind me much later to reveal I did backwards/poorly/completely wrong. Such is life in the USA with KTM streetbike ownership. Mehhhhhhhhh

Newjerseyduke
675cc
675cc
City: Riverdale , NJ

Post by Newjerseyduke » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:13 am

Great news about the dongle. I had heard that street, sport and rain will be retained ( mine does that already), but MTC traction control will still reset.
sounds like the bad gas flash for the adventure bikes. I have heard of that mistake being made before. I want the flasher auto turn off but im afraid it might conflict with the akra race map. Hope they get it sorted out for you on the next visit,
2015 SDR 1290

5150 Pops
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 5150 Pops » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:25 am

Newjerseyduke wrote:Great news about the dongle. I had heard that street, sport and rain will be retained ( mine does that already), but MTC traction control will still reset.
sounds like the bad gas flash for the adventure bikes. I have heard of that mistake being made before. I want the flasher auto turn off but im afraid it might conflict with the akra race map. Hope they get it sorted out for you on the next visit,
Thanks.

Spiff
Supporter
Supporter
City: Las Vegas
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by Spiff » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:17 am

On my bike the abs light flashes when in smoto mode. If I am going to do a dongle I hope it shuts that off.

5150 Pops
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 5150 Pops » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:53 am

Spiff wrote:On my bike the abs light flashes when in smoto mode. If I am going to do a dongle I hope it shuts that off.
I've not tried it with the dongle, but I DID try supermoto, before the dongle. I also tried ABS off before the dongle, and after the dongle, is where I've kept it - OFF.
Both with and without it plugged in, when ABS OFF, the ABS light is on solid.

If that's any indication, I'd say you're going to be disappointed.

mrossk
500cc
500cc
City: santa fe

Post by mrossk » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:05 pm

I have the dongle on my '15, and yes, the ABS light flashes @every 5 or 10 seconds. But it's small and a non-issue for me.

flintskin
125cc
125cc
City: Melbourne

Post by flintskin » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:17 am

i am a little confused about the ABS Dongle. as far as i can determine, it will retain my track settings so that if i have it in track mode with smoto selected , it will retain that when i turn the bike off. Can anyone confirm, that should i have made that selection in track mode,then switch to sport, then turn the bike off, when i restart and return to track, that smoto will be retained.
Is there a way to have the smoto option when riding in sport mode? i still have to work out my track option settings, but ive found the rear wheel slip and wheelies are better in default sport than the default track mode.