dukebadboy
500cc
500cc
City: London
Year: 2012

Best braking pads

Post by dukebadboy » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:21 am

Ferodo, EBC or OEM?

Interested in hearing people's experiences.

Sent from my MIX using Tapatalk

5150 Pops
Supporter
Supporter
City: NORTH CHESTERFIELD
Year: 2015
Colour: Black

Re: Best braking pads

Post by 5150 Pops » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:02 pm

Best in what sense?
Feel, power, life, performance per dollar?
Any top line pad from almost any manufacturer is great, comes down to personal preference.

I've used EBC HH FA188, Galfer 1375 and currently Vesrah SRJL-XX, which is a track only pad variant of the RJL-XX.
There are a lot of people who swear by the carbon ceramic varieties, but it really comes down to what YOU are looking for in pads.
I'd replace the OEM rotors at the same time, otherwise you won't really see much improvement.
Either Galfer wave, Brembo HP, Brembo T-Drive, or Braketec rotors. Ebc makes great pads but their rotors, not so much.

Spiff
Supporter
Supporter
City: Las Vegas
Year: 2017
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by Spiff » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:27 pm

I appreciate looking for the best pads, but is anyone not satisfied with the stock performance? For street use does anyone think upgrading the discs is needed?

5150 Pops
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 5150 Pops » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:10 pm

Spiff wrote:I appreciate looking for the best pads, but is anyone not satisfied with the stock performance? For street use does anyone think upgrading the discs is needed?
Not satisfied - when for unknown definitive reasons, the standard rotors tend to warp on this bike.

Aftermarket - or more specifically - NON OEM replacement parts are almost always better quality for less money.
EDIT... Forgot to mention, upgrading your pads to something more aggressive than the OEM pads, will undoubtedly wear those rotors down quicker, as well as the pads, unless your rotors are almost new, have little wear, or you've thoroughly refinished the surfaces. That's the only reason I suggested new rotors... assuming his oem rotors are worn, which if he's needing new pads due to wear, they should be quite well.

Spiff
Supporter
Supporter
City: Las Vegas
Year: 2017
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by Spiff » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:31 am

5150 Pops wrote:
Spiff wrote:I appreciate looking for the best pads, but is anyone not satisfied with the stock performance? For street use does anyone think upgrading the discs is needed?
Not satisfied - when for unknown definitive reasons, the standard rotors tend to warp on this bike.

Aftermarket - or more specifically - NON OEM replacement parts are almost always better quality for less money.
EDIT... Forgot to mention, upgrading your pads to something more aggressive than the OEM pads, will undoubtedly wear those rotors down quicker, as well as the pads, unless your rotors are almost new, have little wear, or you've thoroughly refinished the surfaces. That's the only reason I suggested new rotors... assuming his oem rotors are worn, which if he's needing new pads due to wear, they should be quite well.
Mine appear to be fine, but the warping rotors are not cool. Seems like a rookie mistake for KTM to have that issue.

dukebadboy
500cc
500cc

Re: RE: Re: Best braking pads

Post by dukebadboy » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:35 am

5150 Pops wrote:Best in what sense?
Any top line pad from almost any manufacturer is great, comes down to personal preference.

I've used EBC HH FA188, Galfer 1375 and currently Vesrah SRJL-XX, which is a track only pad variant of the RJL-XX.
There are a lot of people who swear by the carbon ceramic varieties, but it really comes down to what YOU are looking for in pads.
I'd replace the OEM rotors at the same time, otherwise you won't really see much improvement.
Either Galfer wave, Brembo HP, Brembo T-Drive, or Braketec rotors. Ebc makes great pads but their rotors, not so much.
I switched to Braketech SS cobra rotors a while ago and has been running Ferodo ST pads. I think all in all it works great. The only thing I miss is the aggressive initial bite of EBC double HH pads. But someone told me to avoid EBC pads as they kill the rotors quickly.

I'm just looking at what else is there. Never tried Vesrah pads yet... Don't really care about the life or $$, I guess for ultimate performance on street.

5150 Pops
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 5150 Pops » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:32 pm

dukebadboy wrote:

I switched to Braketech SS cobra rotors a while ago and has been running Ferodo ST pads. I think all in all it works great. The only thing I miss is the aggressive initial bite of EBC double HH pads. But someone told me to avoid EBC pads as they kill the rotors quickly.

I'm just looking at what else is there. Never tried Vesrah pads yet... Don't really care about the life or $$, I guess for ultimate performance on street.
Gotcha...
If u prefer the initial hard bite, you will want a sintered pad in HH, that is specifically NOT a track only pad formula.
The good news is these are always cheaper than the track only pads, which are more linear, and ultimately more powerful, less prone to fade.
Vesrah RJL-XX would be a good choice, or the ebc hh pads.
The Galfer 1375 are in the same price range as the other two, but IMO don't provide the hard initial bite you are wanting, but I do like them as an all around value.

Sintered pads ARE hard on rotors, comes with the territory, but as long as you don't have the rotors (I think they're Brembo Series Oro -cheapo) that came standard, I doubt you'll find yourself shopping for new rotors soon.
I know guys who ride their s1000rr's on trackdays only, with Galfer rotors which are the same width as the 5.0 of stock but they're still going strong, 5 years on with same rotors and simply replacing worn sintered pads.
The Galfer spec rotors for the sd1290r are the same spec, and had I not got a smoking deal on a set of Brembo T-Drive, (5.5mm) I would have bought those, even though they are same 5mm as standard rotors. The material used on the Galfer rotors are obviously superior. S1000rr's also suffer from inferior rotors much like the sd1290r when they are regularly asked for their best, they fail to deliver.

Joe1290
250cc
250cc
City: Palmerston North

Post by Joe1290 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:41 am

dukebadboy wrote:
5150 Pops wrote:But someone told me to avoid EBC pads as they kill the rotors quickly.
I'll call bollocks to that. I've been using EBC HH pads for the last 22,000km and measured wear is between .03mm - .04mm. With a wear limit of .5mm, that should give me an approximate 275,000km from my rotors. :lol:

5150 Pops
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 5150 Pops » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:03 am

Joe1290 wrote:
dukebadboy wrote:
5150 Pops wrote:But someone told me to avoid EBC pads as they kill the rotors quickly.
I'll call bollocks to that. I've been using EBC HH pads for the last 22,000km and measured wear is between .03mm - .04mm. With a wear limit of .5mm, that should give me an approximate 275,000km from my rotors. :lol:
I wish people would learn how to edit quotes correctly or simply not at all.
I did NOT make that assertion.

5150 Pops
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 5150 Pops » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:07 am

dukebadboy wrote:

The only caution, I threw in, was the potential for the OEM non powerparts rotors, could be worn sooner, going with tougher than stock pads.
Last edited by 5150 Pops on Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joe1290
250cc
250cc
City: Palmerston North

Post by Joe1290 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:14 am

5150 Pops wrote:I wish people would learn how to edit quotes correctly or simply not at all.
I did NOT make that assertion.
True you didn't. My apologies.

big tall dave
125cc
125cc
City: Nashville
Year: 2016

Post by big tall dave » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:47 am

My 5 Cents = Unless you're constantly riding super aggressively or doing track days, I'd suggest a semi-metallic (semi-sintered) pad from a brand name like Ferodo or EBC. They might not have the initial 'grab' of a sintered pad, but they do the job and are easier on your rotors and wallet. I'm prob 290lbs geared up and never had any issues stopping with my other bikes. My SD will be getting a set once the stock pads are toast.

dukebadboy
500cc
500cc

Post by dukebadboy » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:42 am

big tall dave wrote:My 5 Cents = Unless you're constantly riding super aggressively or doing track days, I'd suggest a semi-metallic (semi-sintered) pad from a brand name like Ferodo or EBC. They might not have the initial 'grab' of a sintered pad, but they do the job and are easier on your rotors and wallet. I'm prob 290lbs geared up and never had any issues stopping with my other bikes. My SD will be getting a set once the stock pads are toast.
I'm actually only using the bike in the mountains where I tend to ride aggressively, I would say at least 70% of the time.

I guess I should just try more brands and see for myself. Earlier people suggested Versah pads, I will try them.