Colour: Black

2017 SDR High Idle

Post by WarBaby » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:48 pm

Does anyone know...

My '17 SDR has Installed:
1-Rottweiler's intake system
2-Rottweiler's billet velocity stacks
3-Rottweiler's SAS/canister delete
4-Rottweiler's Fueling Dongles (O2 sensors deleted)
5-Rottweiler's PCV with pre-loaded map

My bike runs like a raped ape--smooth, awesome throttle response, more low-end torque, no backfies on decel, etc., BUT...it now idles at 1,800 RPM!

How can I lower the idle? I emailed Rottweiler 3 times in the last week without any reply! :?: :roll:
`17 - BST carbon rims, Supercorsa tires, Arrow Ti can/mid-pipe, 16-T, Rotti 80/80 intake w/PCV/SAS/De-Canister/Servo Stopper/Fuel dongles, Lith. battery, R&G Frame/axle sliders, Evotech Tail Tidy/Rad guard/Exhaust hanger, LSL drag bar. -36 pounds.

5150 Pops
Supporter
Supporter
City: NORTH CHESTERFIELD
Year: 2015

Re: 2017 SDR High Idle

Post by 5150 Pops » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:48 am

Sorry you've not received a response, but here's a couple of ideas, one of which they most likely would/will ask when they do respond.

Are you sure you don't have a vacuum leak, from the hoses that were discarded, maybe a not so good connection at a T fitting, or somewhere else that's open?

Balancing your throttle bodies would be another possible source. On Suzuki TLR it helped smooth things out considerably, and drop idle a couple hundred rpm.

The last thing would be throttle position sensor. If it's not set optimally it could also have an effect on your idle too. There's a couple of u-tube videos showing how to do this, but the easiest way involves buying a dummy harness so you have better access to the plugs with your voltmeter.

To be honest, if your bike seemed perfectly fine, before you changed out everything, I would wager there's a pinched line, or something came loose as you reassembled everything, regardless of how careful and methodical you may have been. It's the only thing that makes the most sense, due to the lack of anyone else mentioning the increased idle, after similar changes to their bike.
Fry comes immediately to mind...yet he has never mentioned an idle difference.

WarBaby
Supporter
Supporter
City: Maryville
Year: 2017

Post by WarBaby » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:00 am

5150 Pops wrote:Sorry you've not received a response, but here's a couple of ideas, one of which they most likely would/will ask when they do respond.

Are you sure you don't have a vacuum leak, from the hoses that were discarded, maybe a not so good connection at a T fitting, or somewhere else that's open?

Balancing your throttle bodies would be another possible source. On Suzuki TLR it helped smooth things out considerably, and drop idle a couple hundred rpm.

The last thing would be throttle position sensor. If it's not set optimally it could also have an effect on your idle too. There's a couple of u-tube videos showing how to do this, but the easiest way involves buying a dummy harness so you have better access to the plugs with your voltmeter.

To be honest, if your bike seemed perfectly fine, before you changed out everything, I would wager there's a pinched line, or something came loose as you reassembled everything, regardless of how careful and methodical you may have been. It's the only thing that makes the most sense, due to the lack of anyone else mentioning the increased idle, after similar changes to their bike.
Fry comes immediately to mind...yet he has never mentioned an idle difference.
Thanks for your input. I am looking into your ideas and some of my own. I was very careful but I know from past experience you are correct about unintentional results. ;)
`17 - BST carbon rims, Supercorsa tires, Arrow Ti can/mid-pipe, 16-T, Rotti 80/80 intake w/PCV/SAS/De-Canister/Servo Stopper/Fuel dongles, Lith. battery, R&G Frame/axle sliders, Evotech Tail Tidy/Rad guard/Exhaust hanger, LSL drag bar. -36 pounds.

5150 Pops
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 5150 Pops » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:42 am

you're only about 300 rpm's out of synch.
Which further prompts me to believe you're probably no worse for wear and it's something simple.

WarBaby
Supporter
Supporter

Post by WarBaby » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:38 am

5150 Pops wrote:you're only about 300 rpm's out of synch.
Which further prompts me to believe you're probably no worse for wear and it's something simple.
Yeah, it's no big deal. Just an minor annoyance at idle. Otherwise, the bike has become scary-fast. :lol:

5150 Pops
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 5150 Pops » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:44 am

WarBaby wrote:
5150 Pops wrote:you're only about 300 rpm's out of synch.
Yeah, it's no big deal. Just an minor annoyance at idle. Otherwise, the bike has become scary-fast. :lol:
Been thinking about this...
Your throttle bodies are probably the entire problem.
You had stock mapping, now you don't - it is the reason why the problem is more pronounced.(They were most likely not synched in the factory, it's been mentioned before, you didn't notice it before because the tune was anemic).

There's an adjustment screw on the rear throttle body. If you don't have vacuum gauges you can get the adjustment fairly close by visual comparison and some type of measuring device...small mm straight ruler or vernier calipers. Twist the throttle, without the bike running to WFO. Measure the location of the open butterfly in the front throttle body.
Let's say it measures out to be 28mm, from the edge, (don't get hung up on that number, I plucked it from thin air, this will make more sense after you read the rest).

Now before you move on to measuring the rear please read the following...
You will have to measure from the opposite edge of the rear throttle body than the one you used on the front because the rear throttle body is mounted 180 degrees from the manner the front unit is on the rack. If you measure the exact same side as the front you will end up making the problem worse.

Let's say it measures 24mm or 32mm.

What you will do is locate the spring loaded adjustment screw on the rear throttle body, it will probably have a paint stripe/mark on it from the assembly line. Turn that screw, (clockwise would likely be your best bet) noting as you make one complete turn -
which direction it is either allowing the butterfly valve to open more fully or not as much. Once you have that figured out, adjust the rear butterfly valve until it matches the front butterfly valve, as close as possible.

The vacuum gauges makes this trial and error method seem like pure misery, because you can immediately see via the gauges the result of dialing in that screw, and be finished very quickly, though you will have to have the bike running.

WarBaby
Supporter
Supporter

Post by WarBaby » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:37 am

Good thinking. I understand and have considered sync as the problem as well as a base idle reset by the dealer. The manufacturer of my air intake system thinks it is caused by the short, straight-through can I'm running along with their other mods. So I have a dB Killer coming as a possible, simple cure although I did try re-installing the factory muffler as an experiment but the idle did not drop any. I don't know if I should have done some type of 'relearn' procedure with the OEM can or not. At any rate, if the dB Killer does not work, I'll try a re-sync. Thanks for your logical input! ;)

steve59
675cc
675cc
City: chicago
Year: 2010

Post by steve59 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:11 pm

Nothing useful here, I thought it was because these bikes basically don't make any power til 3k that the idle is so high. my 2015 idled fast and I loved it my 2016 stalls off the line the idle's soo low. You're rockin that bike and I enjoy reading your upgrades. Steve
Enjoy

big tall dave
125cc
125cc
City: Chicago
Year: 2016

Post by big tall dave » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:12 pm

This might be an obvious suggestion, but have you tried the 10 minute idle reset? My slightly modified 2016 was idling a few hundred RPMs too high at one point so i did the 10 minute reset and it fixed it........Just a thought.

WarBaby
Supporter
Supporter

Post by WarBaby » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:55 pm

steve59 wrote:Nothing useful here, I thought it was because these bikes basically don't make any power til 3k that the idle is so high. my 2015 idled fast and I loved it my 2016 stalls off the line the idle's soo low. You're rockin that bike and I enjoy reading your upgrades. Steve
Thanks for your generous comments. :)
big tall dave wrote:This might be an obvious suggestion, but have you tried the 10 minute idle reset? My slightly modified 2016 was idling a few hundred RPMs too high at one point so i did the 10 minute reset and it fixed it........Just a thought.
I tried about a 6 or 7 minute idle with no change to idle speed. I'll make a 10 minute attempt today. Thanks! ;)

steve59
675cc
675cc
City: chicago
Year: 2010

Post by steve59 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:47 am

Didn't want to get your hopes up like I actually knew something.
Enjoy

Fry
Supporter
Supporter
City: Auburn

Post by Fry » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:16 pm

WarBaby wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:48 pm
Does anyone know...

My '17 SDR has Installed:
1-Rottweiler's intake system
2-Rottweiler's billet velocity stacks
3-Rottweiler's SAS/canister delete
4-Rottweiler's Fueling Dongles (O2 sensors deleted)
5-Rottweiler's PCV with pre-loaded map

My bike runs like a raped ape--smooth, awesome throttle response, more low-end torque, no backfies on decel, etc., BUT...it now idles at 1,800 RPM!

How can I lower the idle? I emailed Rottweiler 3 times in the last week without any reply! :?: :roll:
I have the same exact mods and set of aftermarket upgrades as you. My idle is around 1700....I live with it as it doesn't seem to be a big issue for me. Not sure if its normal or not?