Spiff
Supporter
Supporter
City: Las Vegas
Year: 2017
Colour: Black & Orange

New protaper handlebars

Post by Spiff » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:37 pm

Stock handle bars had a bit too much sweep for me. I cover the brake with my pointer finger, and it just wasn't comfortable. I decided to buy the same bars I have used on my dirtbike. Fisrt problem, they were a bit high. The main issue though was that the diameter of the bar that you can mount controls on wasn't long enough. I called Protaper and the guy was very helpful. Our first criteria was the bar needed right around 8 inches of area to mount the controls. After that we compared sweep and rise. I choose a pair of "CR Mid" Contour bars by Protaper. They are just about they same as stock, just less sweep. Still super comfy. If anyone is thinking of risers you may want to think about their "CR High". Just figured I'd share what I found.

Galleta
125cc
125cc
City: Albuquerque
Year: 2015

Re: New protaper handlebars

Post by Galleta » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:01 pm

What part number(s) did you get?

Spiff
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spiff » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:02 pm

I never saw a part number. I just know that the "cr high" and "cr mid" in the Contour range will work. That said, a 5 minute phone call to protaper before you buy is totally worth it. You want to make sure the control area is right about 8 inches (i think 8.2 to be exact).

Spiff
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spiff » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:10 am

So I figure I should give an update here and there as I get used to these bars. They are a little bit more of a reach. Not bad, but they are. It isn't a bad thing if you want more weight over the front. Also, I haven't done it, but you can move the bars back in the triples. Overall these were a good move for me. My hands just fall into a much more natural position. Much closer to a dirtbike feel if that means anything.

Spiff
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spiff » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:58 am

Rolled the bars back a little today. Very comfortable.

paul65
Supporter
Supporter
City: leeds

Post by paul65 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:17 am

are the controls on OEM bars located with drill hole so that they cant adjust position ??

Spiff
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spiff » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:36 am

No drilling required. I mentioned it before, but I will say it again. Make sure that the bars you buy have 8 inches or so to mount the controls. The first set of bars I bought did not, now I need to sell them. Also, Protaper knurles the left bar so a motocross grip fits tight. I does make for a tight fit for the sdr grip. The first set of bars I needed to file some of the knurling (kind of hurt the resale value), but the second set was less aggressive, and it fit.