Loss of low end torque AR exhaust and removing exhaust valve.

JAMSXR
125cc
125cc
City: Woking
Year: 2008
Colour: Black

Re: Loss of low end torque AR exhaust and removing exhaust valve.

Post by JAMSXR » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:53 am

Personally I would go either slip-on or Akra full system as I wouldn’t want to invalidate the warranty.

I had the Akra slip-on, it sounded and looked great. Just pulled the trigger on a secondhand full system, now just waiting for the weather to improve.

NixK7
125cc
125cc
City: Cumbria
Year: 2017

Post by NixK7 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:59 pm

Just to give you all some info regarding the Cats on our bikes, the 14-16 Cats have an offset set of pipes in the Cat, BUT the 17 models Cat is actually a straight through pipe, very similar to the Akra resonance chamber, the only difference being the actual Honeycomb Cat restriction, you knock that out and you have a straight through pipe.

Full info on the Club KTM 1290 Face book page

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... ater&ifg=1

drdon
125cc
125cc
City: Kenwood
Year: 2018

Post by drdon » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:46 pm

Newjerseyduke wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:33 pm
My opinion. These bikes are the best right off the show room floor. A lot of engineering goes into making one of these and bolting on parts isn't always an improvement.
In my case I just couldn't live with the stock exhaust note and backfiring so I held my nose and bought another full akrapovic system. I'm very happy with it and I do feel a slight loss in power under 4000. The bike is still fast but it did move the power up the tach and that's what a race pipe does. I'm fine with it because it sounds so good and let's be honest, I will never ride this bike to it potential. The reality is I could have bought another motorcycle for just what I've spent on 2 full akrapovic systems. Pre '17 Sdr s had a small low rpm torque loss. Post 17 with exhaust valve has to be more pronounced. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Hard words to live by.
???? I installed a full Akra system with a PCV and correct mapping and have to say the exact opposite. The system has been shown on the dyno to develop 10 more lbs of torque throughout the range and I certainly notice it! More power EVERYWHERE. The $2200 mod (got it on discount) was the best money I have spent except, perhaps, no, definitely, the $3000 for BST carbon fiber wheels which, BTW, are AWESOME! You only live once. Get the Akra pipes, get the BST wheels.