islander
50cc
50cc
City: Cozumel
Year: 2016

Low oil temperature - auto-limitation

Post by islander » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:33 am

Hei,

Got mine a couple of months ago and my dealer is a 2 day trip away. Got 2800 miles on her but after I let her rest over the festive days, oil temperature does not climb to its usual....in fact it stays at max 104F / 40 C. My outside temperature is around 95F / 35C. When starting it also shows oil temp around 45 F / 7 C .... just did 2nd oil and filter change...that did not do it.
Problem: The bike does not give all hp and shift-gear light is on at 7500 RPM....it really limits itself.
We think there is a problem with the oil temperature sensor....since everything else is ok...Thanks for any input and greetings from Mexico!

Stark
Supporter
Supporter
City: sydney
Colour: Black

Re: Low oil temperature - auto-limitation

Post by Stark » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:45 pm

I'd also be inclined to think it's a faulty sensor, but it also might be possible that the ECU is having a fit.

I know on modern bikes, the ECU can misinterpret information from the bikes components, where the only option was to re-flash the ECU. This happened on my GS.

I'm not sure how likely that would be on this model, but it might be something to consider.

Good luck with it.

ilmothefinn
500cc
500cc
City: Pori
Year: 2014

Post by ilmothefinn » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:28 pm

Yep, mine (2014) had it (warranty item it was...), it is connected with the oil fill tube. After changing a new oil fill tube/sensor all seemed OK. Though I didn't have the opportunity to ride the bike because of the elements... Anyhow, it reads correct measures. Earlier it was just like your's.

Failed to notice lack of hp! Hope there is more now...
Do like the others do, you end up being like the others, so... Never search appreciation. I learned that the one who is bullied/shunned/incarcerated is the one who is different and so also maybe somehow interesting.

ilmothefinn
500cc
500cc

Post by ilmothefinn » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:28 am

"Problem: The bike does not give all hp and shift-gear light is on at 7500 RPM....it really limits itself."

Excuse me but something I didn't notice... The rev limit, I didn't test it - because I use revs under 7 grand... Power - well I didn' test it either BUT the last time it was on dyno (and while I'm sure the oil temp sensor was already faulty, it may have been from the factory...) because there was some low-rev and light-throttle surge, it may have acted in losing two rwhp, but there was also two other variables in the play, 1) I used 95 gas instead of 98 and 2) I had changed the original air filter to Unifilter (that may be more restrictive) when sealing the leaky airbox.

Shift-gear light is adjustable by rider himself, too.
Do like the others do, you end up being like the others, so... Never search appreciation. I learned that the one who is bullied/shunned/incarcerated is the one who is different and so also maybe somehow interesting.

islander
50cc
50cc

Post by islander » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:23 am

Had to use lower quality gas on one of the last trips, but that did not affect the power of the bike. Although we do not have the best quality gas on the island...it was working well so far until the problem occurred. We pretty much took everything apart and applied maintenance (the bike is almost new still...) ... no problems were found. The replacement oil temp sensor someone brought from Europe was not the correct one, so I will try again. We had some issues finding that thing and it might even be connected to water temp through the same wiring/sensor (beneath the gas tank, right hand side towards the back). Leaving the bike idle for 15min did not do the job, neither comp reset. We did the manual RPM set and reset stuff, etc....nothing worked so far. The next dealer (1800 km away) did not know what it was, where to find....etc...that is Mexico. That is just how it works here....if i take the bike there now, they will 'work' on it for a month...I will just try replacing the oil temp sensor. If anyone knows more about that, thanks a bunch for your input!

islander
50cc
50cc

Post by islander » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:25 am

and I am having a hard time finding the oil temp sensor online...any help would be much appreciated!

ilmothefinn
500cc
500cc

Post by ilmothefinn » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:51 am

islander wrote:and I am having a hard time finding the oil temp sensor online...any help would be much appreciated!
Search part n:o 61338085000

Roadhawg
675cc
675cc
City: Johannesburg
Model: Adventure

Post by Roadhawg » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:03 am

Have you managed to fix this?

I'm having a similar issue with my 1190 Adventure. Oil temp doesnt really go above 61deg, and some rides it does feel a bit low on power.

ilmothefinn
500cc
500cc

Post by ilmothefinn » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:48 am

At least I had it corrected with a new sensor - as a warranty item...

Tancakar
675cc
675cc
City: London

Post by Tancakar » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:15 am

Hi my oil temperature reads crazy high and then goes low, it goes as high as 110 C then when i stop it falls down to 84 c immediately . i am assuming this is something to do with oil temperature sensor. But where it is even located if i like to change it my self. ?

Roadhawg
675cc
675cc
City: Johannesburg
Model: Adventure

Post by Roadhawg » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:56 am

Mine was the sensor, replaced under warranty.

It sits in the oil filler neck as highlighted here. #7

Tancakar
675cc
675cc
City: London

Post by Tancakar » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:47 pm

Thank you man thats great help ! and i am assuming your limitation problem disappear as well?

ilmothefinn
500cc
500cc

Post by ilmothefinn » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:07 am

Well! I found this thread again! My oil temp sensor seems to be going out of business again - as it was replaced late 2015 (as a warranty item). Now, when it has been in use for 2016 season and the beginning of this years season - it seems to show 10 celsius less than the other bikes sensor does... The former one showed - if I remember correct - some 20 celsius less. And the reading with a laser temp meter supports the notion. And the warranty for the replacement part is over now too! :evil:

So? Better count in every year or every second year a new one for 143 eur... Is it really the shell life of this item so short? Well it cannot be because the other (2015) bike has its original one and it works. Or is it just normal representant attitude towards client?

OR... Anyone who has repaired those? They must be not so rare, same item seemes to be in Adventures (1050, 1090, 1190 1290) and what else? And... Even Motorrad magazine had one faulty in their long term test bike (and the rear axle)...

http://www.ktm-parts.com/61338085000.html

Well I have to say that it sure doesn't limit the power output anyhow - yet. Maybe it will if it stops working altogether...

Alchemistioan
125cc
125cc
City: Clifton
Year: 2017

Post by Alchemistioan » Fri May 25, 2018 4:15 pm

Looks like my 2016 1290 special edition is doing the same thing. My oil temp just stays at 130*F on highway speeds and ripping through the canyons. I did manage to make it go to 148 yesterday when I was in a stop and go traffic.

Although, temperature escalated very slowly and it was. 80*F ambient air temp.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk