1290 Suspension

Silent singer
Supporter
Supporter
City: Norfolk
Year: 2015

Re: 1290 Suspension

Post by Silent singer » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:50 am

What do you need? I'm picking up my standard carts/springs later so I can measure whatever you like.

jasonk
125cc
125cc
City: Sandton
Year: 2017

Post by jasonk » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:56 am

I'll find out and let you know.

jasonk
125cc
125cc

Post by jasonk » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:23 am

hi silent,

I need the spring length as well as inner and outer diameter.

(will you be able to give fork springs and shock spring?)

thank you,
jasonk

jasonk
125cc
125cc

Post by jasonk » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:49 pm

When does the speed wobble occur? Accelerating hard or straight line?

I increased rear compression damping a touch to fix that in the past. Increasing front rebound compression should help, too.

Silent singer wrote:Finally got the Mupo cartridges fitted! Running the recommended base settings until my new tyres are scrubbed in. 32mm sag as a starting point.

First impressions are the front end feels solid. Extremely composed under heavy braking and quickly settles for change of direction. On the roads I've ridden they've been pretty damn good but they have been pretty damn smooth roads so that doesn't tell me too much. I do have a rather nasty high speed wobble over 120mph but I'm not going to complain until the tyres are scrubbed and I've had a chance to get the bike set up properly. They do look the mutts nuts but the jury is out until the set up is finished. As it stands I'm definately going to be faster and more confident but unless that wobble disappears without a damper then personally I'm not sure they're worth the cash.

Going to pick up up the standard carts from the shop today. I'll mention the wobble and see what he has to say. The guy doing the work has over 20 years race experience with a majority of top 3 championship finishes and is well respected in the area. He's documenting every aspect of the set up as we go along and frankly makes me look like a complete numpty so I do have high hopes it'll be a weapon when he's finished.

dflowers
900cc
900cc
City: Seattle
Year: 2010
Colour: White

Post by dflowers » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:38 pm

Silent....did you have to wobble before the cartridges were installed? Did you remove the stock steering damper? Plan to install my Mupo cartridges this Saturday.

Silent singer
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Silent singer » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:36 pm

Jasonk - the wobble occurs under full acceleration at high speed. To be fair I have got the forks through the yokes a fair bit and that's more than likely the issue. I've just put them back flush and removed the not so good looking MRA screen just in case that is having an effect. I'm not too concerned at the moment because the bike feels so good under hard braking and turn in, I'm sure it can be adjusted out. Just need a bit of time on the new tyres and the weather to hold out.

The standard fork spring measurements you wanted are:

Overall length - 250mm
OD - 36.5mm
ID- 26.75mm
Wire gauge - 4.88mm

Didn't do the shock Spring because it's on my bike.

dflowers - yes the wobble was there before the install. i still have the stock damper fitted with 20w oil in it but it's not doing bugger all really. I'm really disappointed with all the damping on this bike. Really like the Scott's rotary damper but I'm not a fan of the gold anodising. Wish they did it in black. Going to email GPR about a fitting kit for my bike. Like the look of their rotary.

jasonk
125cc
125cc

Post by jasonk » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:55 pm

Thanks for the measurements! :D

Let us know how she goes now.

I'm going to re-oil the stock damper - going to go 10w initially - although I haven't experienced anything untoward.

wsmc99
675cc
675cc
City: San Diego

Post by wsmc99 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:17 pm

jasonk wrote:Does anyone have the spring dimensions?

I'm trying to source replacement springs but I'm having trouble finding a supplier or the spring details.

I'm 100 kg in gear.

Thanks,
jasonk
The RC8R spring are the same size and come in 1.0 and .95.
Our SDR's have the .95 version.

wsmc99
675cc
675cc
City: San Diego

Post by wsmc99 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:22 pm

jasonk wrote:hi silent,

I need the spring length as well as inner and outer diameter.

(will you be able to give fork springs and shock spring?)

thank you,
jasonk
Rear spring is about 60mm id and 185mm free length. 971 lbs/in.
Hypercoil 2.25" id springs in 7" free length fit. 8-)

jasonk
125cc
125cc

Post by jasonk » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:28 am

Thank you wsmc99!

I'll see what can be found this side based on those numbers.

guzzi4v
Supporter
Supporter
City: Bundaberg
Year: 2014
Model: SMT

Post by guzzi4v » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:17 am

dflowers
900cc
900cc

Post by dflowers » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:05 pm

Got the Mupo K911 25mm cartridges installed yesterday. Have the 1290 shop manual so removing the old cartridges was easy. Installing the Mupos was not that hard, but some instructions were a little vague. I ended up using the online video they have instead of the written instructions for 90% of the install. Most confusing part was the Cap/K911 system which has a threaded part for the spring to screw onto. This is the system that they say can slightly alter the spring rate without changing springs. Unfortunately it has rained all day today so not really able to do proper suspension evaluation in the wet. I have an Ohlins rear shock too. After I finished installing the Mupo stuff I set the sag. Had to dial out a little preload on the front to get to 32 mm and dial in a little preload on the Ohlins to get 39mm. So sag is good. Only downside so far with the Mupo cartridges is that the compression and rebound adjustments use a 3mm hex but the adjustments are directly under the handlebars so a normal hex wrench does not have room to fit. Ground a 3mm hex wrench shorter to make a special tool to allow adjustment. Finger system on the stockers is much better. These Mupo cartridges use the same system as stock in that the left fork is compression and the right is rebound. I cranked out the adjustments on the stock cartridges all the way before removing them. Once I had the forks off the bike the compression fork seemed to have zero compression. Felt almost like just a spring with no damping-of course the compression was dialed out all the way. In contrast the rebound fork seemed to still have a lot of both compression and rebound damping. Wondering if there was something wrong with the assembly on my forks. That could explain the harshness I have felt with these forks. After installing the Mupo stuff each fork behaved as expected. One had compression and no rebound damping and one had rebound and no compression damping. Can't wait to get out for a long ride and hopefully have a properly functioning suspension.

mac900
250cc
250cc
City: Honolulu

Post by mac900 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:03 am

That's in Italian! Thanks but it's not much help for some of us who don't read or speak Italian.

mac900
250cc
250cc
City: Honolulu

Post by mac900 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:04 am

dflowers wrote:Got the Mupo K911 25mm cartridges installed yesterday. Have the 1290 shop manual so removing the old cartridges was easy. Installing the Mupos was not that hard, but some instructions were a little vague. I ended up using the online video they have instead of the written instructions for 90% of the install. Most confusing part was the Cap/K911 system which has a threaded part for the spring to screw onto. This is the system that they say can slightly alter the spring rate without changing springs. Unfortunately it has rained all day today so not really able to do proper suspension evaluation in the wet. I have an Ohlins rear shock too. After I finished installing the Mupo stuff I set the sag. Had to dial out a little preload on the front to get to 32 mm and dial in a little preload on the Ohlins to get 39mm. So sag is good. Only downside so far with the Mupo cartridges is that the compression and rebound adjustments use a 3mm hex but the adjustments are directly under the handlebars so a normal hex wrench does not have room to fit. Ground a 3mm hex wrench shorter to make a special tool to allow adjustment. Finger system on the stockers is much better. These Mupo cartridges use the same system as stock in that the left fork is compression and the right is rebound. I cranked out the adjustments on the stock cartridges all the way before removing them. Once I had the forks off the bike the compression fork seemed to have zero compression. Felt almost like just a spring with no damping-of course the compression was dialed out all the way. In contrast the rebound fork seemed to still have a lot of both compression and rebound damping. Wondering if there was something wrong with the assembly on my forks. That could explain the harshness I have felt with these forks. After installing the Mupo stuff each fork behaved as expected. One had compression and no rebound damping and one had rebound and no compression damping. Can't wait to get out for a long ride and hopefully have a properly functioning suspension.
Thank you!! That's helpful!

Silent singer
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Silent singer » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:48 pm

Looking forward to your opinion after riding!

Did you have any grief with the cap o'ring? I found it slightly too fat, looked like it would cut if we wound it up tight. Ended up putting the standard cap o'rings back in.

jasonk
125cc
125cc

Post by jasonk » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:58 pm

Top right, there's a flag - pick the Union Jack - that'll give you English.
mac900 wrote:

That's in Italian! Thanks but it's not much help for some of us who don't read or speak Italian.

dflowers
900cc
900cc

Post by dflowers » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:40 pm

Silent singer wrote:Looking forward to your opinion after riding!

Did you have any grief with the cap o'ring? I found it slightly too fat, looked like it would cut if we wound it up tight. Ended up putting the standard cap o'rings back in.
Yes! Had the same problem with the same solution. Thanks for bringing that up.

guzzi4v
Supporter
Supporter
City: Bundaberg
Year: 2014
Model: SMT

Post by guzzi4v » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:57 am

jasonk wrote:Top right, there's a flag - pick the Union Jack - that'll give you English.
mac900 wrote:

Phew. Thanks JasonK. Now we can all get some sleep.

jasonk
125cc
125cc

Post by jasonk » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:00 pm

Haha

:D

dflowers
900cc
900cc

Post by dflowers » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:52 pm

Finally got out for a spirited back roads ride on dry pavement. Huge improvement from my point of view. Overall, suspension now feels firm but well controlled. I have the spring rate setting at 10.5. Might experiment with setting it to 10 at some point. The harshness that was there with the stock forks is gone. I have an Ohlins shock on the back. Now it seems like the forks and shock are on the same page. I had the forks set at 10 clicks in from full out which is pretty low damping setting. I got home and after the fact checked the range. Compression has approx 38 clicks and rebound is around 55 clicks, so I set both in the middle of the range for next ride. I am pretty happy with the result. Bike feels similar to my full Ohlins RC51 in terms of suspension. Mupo kit allows for tweaking of the spring rate a bit as well as having preload adjustment. Nice. I will mention again that my stock compression fork seemed to have no compression damping and the rebound fork had both compression and rebound damping. Very strange. Both forks had the proper amount of fork fluid. Makes me wonder about the quality control for building the forks! My guess is that any of the major aftermarket kits for the 1290 forks will work well. I would buy the Mupo kit again no question.