1290 Suspension

NewyKTM
Supporter
Supporter
City: Newcastle
Year: 2014

1290 Suspension

Post by NewyKTM » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:16 pm

Hey guys, if anyone has had positive results from re-adjusting or modifying the suspension on the 1290, could you post it up.

Also any aftermarket suspension parts added (fork carts,shocks etc) I would like to hear some ideas being thrown around to compare setups.
From the 1st crawl to the very 1st step to the 1st ride, the rest is history...The evolution of the motorcycle enthusiast.

kevxtx
City: Brisbane

Re: 1290 Suspension

Post by kevxtx » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:48 am

What sort of riding are you doing would lead to the setup that you are looking for, track, A or B roads? What is your weight fully kitted up?

Don 1290
250cc
250cc
City: Adelaide
Colour: Black

Post by Don 1290 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:46 am

Complete racetech overhaul here, night and day difference...rebound actually works for one.

NewyKTM
Supporter
Supporter

Post by NewyKTM » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:30 pm

kevxtx wrote:What sort of riding are you doing would lead to the setup that you are looking for, track, A or B roads? What is your weight fully kitted up?
For me I'd say 85-90kg kitted up, style of riding would be mainly weekend mountains A roads.
A track day at Eastern Creek here or there.
I don't commute to work on my bike but do like to jump on it after work if its sunny for a nice hot lap or so around the town :D

I have found the forks dive quite a bit and get up a wallow type of feel for my style of riding and to much added compression results in a nervous feeling front end at initial tip-in throughout the corner to mid apex.

While the rear end did have a positive result from slightly more preload and 2 clicks harder rebound it feels like it could be improved on.
From the 1st crawl to the very 1st step to the 1st ride, the rest is history...The evolution of the motorcycle enthusiast.

NewyKTM
Supporter
Supporter

Post by NewyKTM » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:40 pm

Don 1290 wrote:Complete racetech overhaul here, night and day difference...rebound actually works for one.
Thanks Don, that's what I was hoping to hear.
I've had racetech on a few of my KTM dirtbikes and realized the same thing regarding rebound, especially the 4CS forks funny that.

Whats it like on the fast pace stuff?

Don 1290
250cc
250cc

Post by Don 1290 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:45 pm

NewyKTM wrote:
Don 1290 wrote:Complete racetech overhaul here, night and day difference...rebound actually works for one.
Thanks Don, that's what I was hoping to hear.
I've had racetech on a few of my KTM dirtbikes and realized the same thing regarding rebound, especially the 4CS forks funny that.

Whats it like on the fast pace stuff?
Planted and stable, doesn't dive or pogo. Behaves how it should.

NewyKTM
Supporter
Supporter

Post by NewyKTM » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:07 am

What sparked some investigation into the front end performance of the 1290, was my recent test ride of the awesome 2014 Aprillia Tuono V4R and a beautiful 2014 Speed Tripple R.

I would happily ad both to my garage if funds permitted ;) though obviously neither could replace my shiny orange beast.

The Aprillia's front end was to die for, fantastically composed and flexible.
It even lapped up crappy road in its wake, stable as a rock.

Then I jumped back onto my Super Duke and thought hmmm whats happening here, better bike but somethings letting it down. (def not power may I add) Suspension is softer but less stable on bumps and rough road. Its not horrible though, just not on par IMO.

I was initially thinking of waiting for the ohlins carts and shock to become an option but if the standard suspension can be vividly improved, I'd have to look in to it.

I'd still like to hear if anyone else has had some modification success aswell.

Don 1290
250cc
250cc

Post by Don 1290 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:00 am

NewyKTM wrote:What sparked some investigation into the front end performance of the 1290, was my recent test ride of the awesome 2014 Aprillia Tuono V4R and a beautiful 2014 Speed Tripple R.

I would happily ad both to my garage if funds permitted ;) though obviously neither could replace my shiny orange beast.

The Aprillia's front end was to die for, fantastically composed and flexible.
It even lapped up crappy road in its wake, stable as a rock.

Then I jumped back onto my Super Duke and thought hmmm whats happening here, better bike but somethings letting it down. (def not power may I add) Suspension is softer but less stable on bumps and rough road. Its not horrible though, just not on par IMO.

I was initially thinking of waiting for the ohlins carts and shock to become an option but if the standard suspension can be vividly improved, I'd have to look in to it.

I'd still like to hear if anyone else has had some modification success aswell.
Ohlins are not going ahead with the Cartridge kit unfortunately, only the TTX GP shock available.

NewyKTM
Supporter
Supporter

Post by NewyKTM » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:22 am

Don 1290 wrote:
Ohlins are not going ahead with the Cartridge kit unfortunately, only the TTX GP shock available.
Ar righto, thanks mate.

I'm liking the sound of a racetech rebuild, Don where did you get yours done and do you know what they did, if you dont mind my asking?

Don 1290
250cc
250cc

Post by Don 1290 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:34 am

NewyKTM wrote:
Don 1290 wrote:
Ar righto, thanks mate.

I'm liking the sound of a racetech rebuild, Don where did you get yours done and do you know what they did, if you dont mind my asking?
My mechanic is also a racetech suspension guru here in Adelaide. Your best bet would be to try Shock Treatment in Wallacia, I know it is a couple of hours from Newcastle but Terry is the master for Racetech in Australia.

NewyKTM
Supporter
Supporter

Post by NewyKTM » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:54 am

Don 1290 wrote:
My mechanic is also a racetech suspension guru here in Adelaide. Your best bet would be to try Shock Treatment in Wallacia, I know it is a couple of hours from Newcastle but Terry is the master for Racetech in Australia.

I might give Terry a call he's always quite helpful, I didn't realize he could tune street bike suspension as well.
His dirt circuit is quite a nice setup though.

I don't mind traveling somewhere as it gives me a good reason to ride :D

Don 1290
250cc
250cc

Post by Don 1290 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:02 am

NewyKTM wrote:
Don 1290 wrote:

I might give Terry a call he's always quite helpful, I didn't realize he could tune street bike suspension as well.
His dirt circuit is quite a nice setup though.

I don't mind traveling somewhere as it gives me a good reason to ride :D
You will find the forks are very similar to a CBR1000RR internally so the valving calculations will be close if not the same, once you sort out the front end you could opt for the ohlins TTX shock to save the extra work on the shock. However unless you are really worried about cavitation and 10ths of a second a good re valve job will work very well.

NewyKTM
Supporter
Supporter

Post by NewyKTM » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:09 am

Found a company that Terry uses called Matris, Italian company.

After some research on the www the reviews are very positive indeed, alot of quick street riders and a few hardcore club racers going as far as saying it feels better than an ohlins setup!
Absolute top shelf quality, also looks to be cheaper than ohlins, penske, nitron etc..

Terry has done an MT09 with both ends matris and apparently transforms the bike.

I'm yet to get a solid price and availability for the 1290 but fingers crossed. 8-)

Otherwise the racetech full rebuild looks to be the go.

kevxtx

Post by kevxtx » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:47 am

I know of Matris well, a family member has his MT09 sprung with their gear, high quality top end gear.

guzzi4v
Supporter
Supporter
City: Bundaberg
Model: SMT

Post by guzzi4v » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:29 am

I contacted Matris; nothing for the 1290 yet. They're planning to do something though.

I sent an email to Cessnock Motorcycles; I thought that since Phil Lovett is the fastest 50+ racer this side of the Antarctic, and he races a 1290, he might know something about it. Nothing back yet though. Might have to push. He's probably on that pricey WP stuff.

kevxtx

Post by kevxtx » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:49 am

I won't be doing anything to my 1290's suspension as I don't really have a problem with it on the roads I ride, I do think for the track it would be way to soft with too much dive.

NewyKTM
Supporter
Supporter

Post by NewyKTM » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:51 am

guzzi4v wrote:I contacted Matris; nothing for the 1290 yet. They're planning to do something though.

I sent an email to Cessnock Motorcycles; I thought that since Phil Lovett is the fastest 50+ racer this side of the Antarctic, and he races a 1290, he might know something about it. Nothing back yet though. Might have to push. He's probably on that pricey WP stuff.
Good to hear Matris are in planning stage at least :)

I might head out to Cessnock Motorcycles and "push" the point nicely haha
I've purchased a lot of parts through those guys before and a slick "KTM 300 Six Days" the other year so be good to find what they've been up to.

Thanks for the info.

NewyKTM
Supporter
Supporter

Post by NewyKTM » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:57 am

kevxtx wrote:I won't be doing anything to my 1290's suspension as I don't really have a problem with it on the roads I ride, I do think for the track it would be way to soft with too much dive.
Yep, the dive is starting to get to me a little now.

If you do decide to have a fiddle with the suspension kev, please keep us updated :D

Don 1290
250cc
250cc

Post by Don 1290 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:51 am

NewyKTM wrote:
kevxtx wrote:I won't be doing anything to my 1290's suspension as I don't really have a problem with it on the roads I ride, I do think for the track it would be way to soft with too much dive.
Yep, the dive is starting to get to me a little now.

If you do decide to have a fiddle with the suspension kev, please keep us updated :D
Here is an insight into my set up: 8 clicks out comp/rebound in the forks with 10mm through the triples and I am using 90% travel under very hard downhill braking into tight 2nd gear corners. Rear is 13 out for rebound, 6 out for low speed and 1 turn out for high speed, the stability and feel is spot on. Running 32/30 psi Front Rear on the factory rubber I have perfect wear with good debris field and beach tidal ripple in the power on 2/3rd area of the soft shoulder compound. No geometry tears and rebound works (in contrast to before!). Very happy with the racetech internals.

NewyKTM
Supporter
Supporter

Post by NewyKTM » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:14 am

Don 1290 wrote:
Here is an insight into my set up: 8 clicks out comp/rebound in the forks with 10mm through the triples and I am using 90% travel under very hard downhill braking into tight 2nd gear corners. Rear is 13 out for rebound, 6 out for low speed and 1 turn out for high speed, the stability and feel is spot on. Running 32/30 psi Front Rear on the factory rubber I have perfect wear with good debris field and beach tidal ripple in the power on 2/3rd area of the soft shoulder compound. No geometry tears and rebound works (in contrast to before!). Very happy with the racetech internals.
Great info Don, the more that gets posted up the easier it is to compare setup's.

"32/30 psi Front Rear on the factory rubber" seems very low but you stated perfect wear, can you notice any tire roll throughout tight turn in or switchbacks?