xtremewlr
250cc
250cc
City: San Diego
Year: 2014
Colour: Black & Orange

Re: Kev's 1290 modification list

Post by xtremewlr » Tue May 24, 2016 4:48 pm

Sorry if I missed it but did kevxtx ever post up the listing of the bolt sizes for the Ti replacements?

kevxtx
City: Brisbane

Post by kevxtx » Fri May 27, 2016 9:07 am

Sorry I never made a list of the sizes.

mbambrune
50cc
50cc
City: caserta
Year: 2015

Post by mbambrune » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:15 pm

Hi everybody, i'm Bruno, from Italy, new superhappy owner of an orange beast. Forgive me if i ask you guys a question that maybe has been asked one gillion times, but i just can't find an answer:

Does anyone have experience with the combination akra slip on (street legal) with bodis decat?

I already have the akra slip on and i'd like to buy the bodis decat pipe, but somewhere i've read that taking out the "compensation chamber" (inside the catalyzer and still present on the akra evo full system) you loose a lot in low and mid range. Is that true or the curves in the decat bodis just do the work?

I'd do it mostly for the sound (the akra slip on really doen't do much for it, just prettier than the ugly stock one), little to no improvment in performance is accepted, but for sure i don't want my bike to run worse....

thanks a lot to those who'll be so nice to answer

Mbamb

mbambrune
50cc
50cc
City: caserta

Post by mbambrune » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:16 pm

Hi everybody, i'm Bruno, from Italy, new superhappy owner of an orange beast. Forgive me if i ask you guys a question that maybe has been asked one gillion times, but i just can't find an answer:

Does anyone have experience with the combination akra slip on (street legal) with bodis decat?

I already have the akra slip on and i'd like to buy the bodis decat pipe, but somewhere i've read that taking out the "compensation chamber" (inside the catalyzer and still present on the akra evo full system) you loose a lot in low and mid range. Is that true or the curves in the decat bodis just do the work?

I'd do it mostly for the sound (the akra slip on really doen't do much for it, just prettier than the ugly stock one), little to no improvment in performance is accepted, but for sure i don't want my bike to run worse....

Mbamb

NewyKTM
Supporter
Supporter
City: Newcastle

Post by NewyKTM » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:08 am

I don't know about about losing bottom end from just a decat pipe, without a tune maybe that could be the case.

I do know that the full evo system doesn't use a cat at all, both the centre resonator and the rear muffler are completely straight through and I can report that running the full system you don't lose any bottom end to stock you gain some.
Nearly to much bottom end after a power commander is added as well.
From the 1st crawl to the very 1st step to the 1st ride, the rest is history...The evolution of the motorcycle enthusiast.

mrp669
50cc
50cc
City: new buffalo
Year: 2016
Colour: Silver

Post by mrp669 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:17 pm

kevxtx and anybody else who might know,

what are your thoughts about the cylinder head air flow improvements for a sdgt that brought the max power down a 1000rpm as per their advertisements? All porting or bigger valves or more cam lift?

how do you suppose this list of mods (remus midpipe, rottweiler filter, deleted exhaust servo sas and canister, pcv w/at and ignition module) would be expected to work with the revised heads and custom dyno map? Produce even more hp/tq or create possible loss areas?

I am still awaiting an answer from dynojet, rottweiler or motomummy on if the pcv fits the sdgt or if there is a different ecm due to the addition of the quickshifter?
I understand the pcv is a piggyback module that intercepts specific ecm commands and alters them. So I would assume on the sdgt, the ktm factory quickshifter will still operate correctly because if ecm cuts fuel the pcv will also follow suit. How would it work with ignition cut on pcv ignition module? I would again assume pcv would follow suit. Per ktm "So we added different strategies for every riding situation imaginable, managed by an ignition and fuel cut." from article https://blog.ktm.com/braaap-click-braaap/

Do I understand correctly that the akra map still allows the sas to work, but at the same time does not set a fi light if sas disconnected?

What gear do you dyno in? on six speed cars it is usually 5th. I've watched a few dyno vids where they are shifting thru gears? Am I to assume they are just checking and cleaning up the new programming.

Thanks

Plastball
50cc
50cc
City: Oslo
Model: SMT

Post by Plastball » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:17 am

mbambrune wrote:Hi everybody, i'm Bruno, from Italy, new superhappy owner of an orange beast. Forgive me if i ask you guys a question that maybe has been asked one gillion times, but i just can't find an answer:

Mbamb
Hi,

I have this setup on my bike. I drove one year with just the akra slip-on and no other modification and stock mapping. May this year I installed PCV, PCV-QS, Bodis-Decat and block-off. First off all, the sound was loud, but thats no surprise. So if you do it mostly for the sound, then you will be pleased.

I did this partly for the sound, but also for the performance of the bike. The purchase of the year was the QS. I think I never will own a bike without QS anymore (except for my supermotard). Also I had the bike on the dyno to tune it the same day I did all the modification above. It felt like a brand new bike. MUCH smoother on low RPM, more even torque all the way. Most important, my AF was way out og league! In average we added about 13-20% fuel on the whole register. Now I know that the bike runs on the correct AF, which make me much more comfy driving the bike.

Sadly I dont have the dyno from my stock setup (with akra slip on), but here is my Dynorun after my modifications. Didn't get that much hp-gain I think, but from the first dyno run it was much more smoother. More modifications to come during the winter.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m02cfdz2q3eae ... 1.png?dl=0

skollie
125cc
125cc
City: Reading
Colour: Black

Post by skollie » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:09 pm

kevxtx wrote:Went for a ride on my 1290 today around & about first time in 5 weeks & stopped & looked down & my left leg was full of coolant.

Got home to find my radiator is leaking between the cores in multiple areas from behind the Rad Guard, I removed the Rad Guard to find no signs of any impact, rubbing or of any damage, will keep you post on what KTM say.

Busy going through this post again - to find out about fitting the ABS rings, as I plan to fit them over winter - and came across this!
3 weeks back, on an early Sunday blast into France, I stopped at the eurotunnel terminal to wait for the train, and noticed my left boot was wet. It was still very dark, so didn't think much of it. When I got on the train - I then saw the coolant dripping on the floor. Too late to get off, so had to go across. Said goodbye to my riding buddies as they rode off into France, and got straight back on the train back to Folkestone. Limped home for 100 miles and parked up.
Took my bike in on the following Saturday and it was all ready on the Wednesday - new radiator fitted under warranty. Was seeping on back left, where fins meet the side - no physical damage at all.
The advantage of living here is that parts are couriered overnight. I also have the advantage of using a very good KTM dealer.
My RC8 has now been replaced by the BEAST...........
YOU KNOW IT MAKES SENSE

skollie
125cc
125cc
City: Reading
Colour: Black

Post by skollie » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:09 pm

Kev's ABS rings

I will be fitting them this winter, but need some tips on "coating" them.
Who has powder coated their set and who has painted their set, and is there any best finish?
(Did read one set was touching?)
My RC8 has now been replaced by the BEAST...........
YOU KNOW IT MAKES SENSE

mrossk
500cc
500cc
City: santa fe

Post by mrossk » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:11 pm

I had mine powder coated- seems to be working fine for 6k miles.

675cc
675cc
City: Taralga

Post by 1290 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:35 am

Painted mine with heat proof paint seem to be fine after 10,000km

Tancakar
675cc
675cc
City: London

Post by Tancakar » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:07 pm

Dear Kevin and all

I have a Ktm Super Duke Gt which i have done some modifications including SAS Removal, Canister Removal, O2 sensors Removal and i have Akropovic slip on with Arrow Decat mid pipe now.
I have just ordered my Power Commander 5 although i felt the bike was running brilliant. As you can see from the picture the Arrow mid pipe is a long tube with no cat resistance i feel like i lost some of that low down grunt however the bike feels faster :) revs better and smoother.The exhaust is far too loud for me, i must say louder then the Akrapovic EVO, I think i lost some of the back pressure and to gain some back pressure and reduce the noise level i need a akrapovic DECAT.

now i find one online and its called P-Kat-010 serial number 0648 5

what you guys think ? will it fit ? any experience ?
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
15078589_10154344923754145_2959944372671426171_n.jpg

Tancakar
675cc
675cc

Post by Tancakar » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:10 pm

this is the beast before the DECAT by the way i am also working on a Belly pan :)
Attachments
15110479_10154347501764145_1759928564347249226_o.jpg

mr_et
50cc
50cc
City: Dallas

Post by mr_et » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:49 am

My 2014 SuperDuke R had a radiator leak in a 'not so obvious' location. It was easy to locate since the leak only appears when the radiator is under pressure.

A brand new radiator was going for ~US$500. A used one on ebay was going for ~US100. I managed to pull the radiator out and fix it myself (bike is out of warranty, and the shop where I purchased the bike no longer carried any KTM bikes).

Tools I used to fix the radiator:
Bernzomatic TS8000
Aluma-weld rods
Dremel tool with steel brush wheel
Distilled water
Compressor tank
Bicycle inner tube
Hose clamps

I cut the bicycle tube in to manageable pieces to seal up the hose openings. Filled the tank partially with distilled water and closed off the radiator cap end with the bicycle inner tube with valve. A compressor applied pressure to the tank. While the tank was under pressure, I could see where the leak was coming from (rotating where the water and hole would leak out).

To expose the crack, a dremel and wire brush wheel was used. The crack was about 1/4" in length and was located on the upper left back side of the radiator.

I used the torch and brazed the crack area, applying even heating until the alum-weld rod started to 'wick' or melt on to the radiator surface. Once this was done, I let the radiator cool down and plugged the holes and did a partial pressure test to see if the leak was fixed.

No leaks.

Reassembled the bike, filled the radiator with coolant, and took her for a quick ride. At the time of this post, the fix seems to be holding up under operating temperature and pressure (20min ride on the highway).

mr_et

kevxtx wrote:
kevxtx wrote:Went for a ride on my 1290 today around & about first time in 5 weeks & stopped & looked down & my left leg was full of coolant.

Got home to find my radiator is leaking between the cores in multiple areas from behind the Rad Guard, I removed the Rad Guard to find no signs of any impact, rubbing or of any damage, will keep you post on what KTM say.

Can you guys that own 2014 models please check your radiators & look for wet spots for me & let me know if you have any?

Update: After 5 weeks with my bike sitting at the dealer & a letter to KTM Australia I finally got my new radiator.

kevxtx

Post by kevxtx » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:47 am

What is the voltage reading off the coolant now? Put one end of the probe of your multimeter into the water & the other on the engine earth.

kevxtx

Post by kevxtx » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:50 am

Tancakar wrote:Dear Kevin and all

I have a Ktm Super Duke Gt which i have done some modifications including SAS Removal, Canister Removal, O2 sensors Removal and i have Akropovic slip on with Arrow Decat mid pipe now.
I have just ordered my Power Commander 5 although i felt the bike was running brilliant. As you can see from the picture the Arrow mid pipe is a long tube with no cat resistance i feel like i lost some of that low down grunt however the bike feels faster :) revs better and smoother.The exhaust is far too loud for me, i must say louder then the Akrapovic EVO, I think i lost some of the back pressure and to gain some back pressure and reduce the noise level i need a akrapovic DECAT.

now i find one online and its called P-Kat-010 serial number 0648 5

what you guys think ? will it fit ? any experience ?
Page to the bottom of this thread & you will see my solution to adding a Kat to my Mt09 Akra pipe. In general the Kat needs to be bigger than the header. http://www.fz09.org/forum/10-fz-09-buil ... -mods.html

Tancakar
675cc
675cc

Post by Tancakar » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:26 pm

hi thank you for the information Kevin I had a Akrapovic Cat it looks like a 400 core will this be any bad to my engine? i am going to dyno jet it anyway and i have power commander 5 ?

Tancakar
675cc
675cc

Post by Tancakar » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:31 pm

sorry Kevin i though my one is 400 core but its looks like i have the correct 200 core one :) this is the picture of it its slightly bigger diameter then my mid pipe so there fore i will stretch my mid pipe to fit this in.
3331255.jpg

Tancakar
675cc
675cc

Post by Tancakar » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:30 pm

After the Akrapovic Cat install will you still need to put your SAS (secondary air system ) back on \?

kevxtx

Post by kevxtx » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:57 am

You are fine to run a 200 core Kat with SAS blocked & an A/f ratio of 13.2:1.