Aftermarket Filters & Air boxes

kevxtx
City: Brisbane
Year: 2014

Re: Aftermarket Filters & Air boxes

Post by kevxtx » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:44 am

I cut all the Zip ties off the looms, I also trim the top left corner of the plate by 10mm deep & 30mm long from left to right this allows for the coolant pipe to run between the plate & frame other than that it will fit in.

Oupy
500cc
500cc
City: Perth

Post by Oupy » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:12 pm

Looks like they are now using a black plastic piece as the heat-shield as opposed to the steel sheet : http://www.rottweilerperformance.com/ro ... duke-1290/

Oupy
500cc
500cc

Post by Oupy » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:20 am

Is there a particular service interval that will require the heat shield to be removed for the mechanics to perform work around that area of the bike?

yohammer
250cc
250cc
City: utrecht

Post by yohammer » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:01 pm

I'm not sure but it's a matter of cutting 5 ty-raps ..

Oupy
500cc
500cc

Post by Oupy » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:13 am

Cutting of cable ties is easy yes, but i am pretty sure you would then need to remove the tank and rottweiler unit to get the shield out...

I am more asking so that it can be removed in preparation rather than leaving it to be butchered by the workshop :)

SADUKE
250cc
250cc
City: Cape Town
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by SADUKE » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:47 am

So !
My bike Was finally on the dyno.

Ackra map, Racefit Decat , 17T front sprocket and bmc Air filter. Base run cam out @ 173.5HP and 149.9nm

Fitted the PCV started mapping Came up to 175.6HP and 152.3 Nm

I still have the Stock air box Installed, I tried to simulate the Rotwieler intake by removing the lid and air filter of the standard box and then the torque dropped on the bas run?

Kev Any ideas why?

kevxtx

Post by kevxtx » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:13 am

Because you never remapped for all the extra air by removing the lid & air box, you can't just remove the lid & expect more power you need to add some more fuel to the equassion, did they do single cylinder tunned maps, what was the target A/F ratio?

Do you have the Dyno run files, can you email them to me?

SADUKE
250cc
250cc
City: Cape Town
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by SADUKE » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:28 am

The Bike is at the Dyno shop For the week for them to play around.

Only PCV installed and not AT , I only received a Video from them, Just waiting for them to finish completely and then I will get the printout ,
Target AFR 13.1-13.2 this was with standard airbox

NewyKTM
Supporter
Supporter
City: Newcastle

Post by NewyKTM » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:17 am

So, I was at my local Unifilter manufacturing facility the other day looking at filters for my dirt bike and I ended up coming home with these :D
DSC_0449.JPG
$40 for the whole setup, $10 for the mini breather filter.
Something had to be done as my airbox was deforming severely and letting bugs setup home on my throttle butterflies :?

So far it runs fantastic, no airbox lid using factory snorkels.
I also have a proVent 100 catch can on the way to replace the mini filter and the pcV with quickshifter to be fitted and tuned. :twisted:
From the 1st crawl to the very 1st step to the 1st ride, the rest is history...The evolution of the motorcycle enthusiast.

guzzi4v
Supporter
Supporter
City: Bundaberg
Model: SMT

Post by guzzi4v » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:21 am

Newy you sneaky genius. Details my man.

kevxtx

Post by kevxtx » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:13 am

Tried the setup on my 990 SMR & the only problem I had was the clearance between the stacks & the pod filters, to gain good Torque & power you need clearance so the air can flow correct over & around the stacks, we really want as much still filtered air around the stacks as we can get, this gives faster acceleration times when coming off & on throttles. The other problem that bothered me with the pods filter setup was you have also reduced the filtering area considerably & would take less time for the filter to be come clogged or restricted compared to a full filter with a larger surface area.

In the end still a nice cheap mod. :D

The 1290 Pod filter mod has been done before see below, they changed the stacks to get around the flow problems, see below.

NewyKTM
Supporter
Supporter

Post by NewyKTM » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:42 am

guzzi4v wrote:Newy you sneaky genius. Details my man.
I was worried initially about the air flow area but after a quick measurement it looked fairly good.
From speaking with a few guys I used to know within the car racing scene about running ram tube sock style filters and the effect of it possibly slowing the velocity of the air entering at the trumpet sides, there answer was it's negligible compared to the volume of air entering.

So based on that, the ease of installation and certainly the Price, it's worth a go, I think. :)

And so far, the difference from my k&n filter is night and day, a lot more response and torque from the seat of the pants dyno.

Uniflow.com.au RP605/2 150mm 65mm Rally Pods

They simply slip straight over, zip tie the air temp sensor to the box, install a catch can or mini pod and Done
From the 1st crawl to the very 1st step to the 1st ride, the rest is history...The evolution of the motorcycle enthusiast.

kevxtx

Post by kevxtx » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:07 am

Well worth a go if you are looking for a cheap filter mod, I just based my views from back to back Dyno testing on my 990 SMR between the DNA stage3 air box & my sock pod filters, I have not tested the setup on the 1290 yet, now you have given me something else to test. :D

NewyKTM
Supporter
Supporter

Post by NewyKTM » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:29 pm

Nocked up a few measurements and calculations to get an idea of the Unifilter's surface area side by side with the K&N drop in filter I got with the EVO race kit.
Unifilter Rally pods vs K&N.jpg
Above "clearances" is meant to say height of filter above stacks, sorry I was very tired.
Last edited by NewyKTM on Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kevxtx

Post by kevxtx » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:39 pm

Thanks for doing that for me as it is hard to see clearances from a photo, as per PM I will get a set & test them in the Dyno soon.

Marki
500cc
500cc
City: Edinburgh
Year: 2015
Colour: White
Model: Adventure

Re: RE: Re: Aftermarket Filters & Air boxes

Post by Marki » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:58 pm

NewyKTM wrote:Nocked up a few measurements and calculations to get an idea of the Unifilter's surface area side by side with the K&N drop in filter I got with the EVO race kit.
Is the k&n filter purely measured? Just thinking that they are corrugated so the surface area could be double or even trebled over the external dimensions. Not that area is the be all and end all anyway.

kevxtx

Re: RE: Re: Aftermarket Filters & Air boxes

Post by kevxtx » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:03 pm

Marki wrote:
NewyKTM wrote:Nocked up a few measurements and calculations to get an idea of the Unifilter's surface area side by side with the K&N drop in filter I got with the EVO race kit.
Is the k&n filter purely measured? Just thinking that they are corrugated so the surface area could be double or even trebled over the external dimensions. Not that area is the be all and end all anyway.
Agree the wave increases the air flow considerably.

kevxtx

Post by kevxtx » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:05 pm

With the many Dyno test runs that I did with my 990 SMR & air boxes these motors are affected on how the air is pulled over the velocity stacks, the stack is like an aeroplane wing & we can get more or less velocity from how the air flows over them, the biggest gains I ever got was from the greatest filtered mass under the filter using a DNA stage 3 air box & the lower half of the OEM air box.

I Dyno tested the DNA stage 1 & 2 air boxes & the 2 out performed the 1 by a few HP & the only difference was the lid which affected the flow over the stacks.

NewyKTM
Supporter
Supporter

Post by NewyKTM » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:30 pm

Those dimensions are just for a rough gauge for direct passable air so I could get a quick comparison, yes the K&n will possibly flow a little more than it first seems but as it can only draw air from one source point, it's way off the mark of the Pods with no lid.

I removed the snorkels as well to start with, to check the AF ratio on a mates standalone wideband and found it to run very lean (no Pcv installed Yet)
Snorkels back in and with the rich Akra map and it's closer to optimal.
Last edited by NewyKTM on Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marki
500cc
500cc
City: Edinburgh
Year: 2015
Colour: White
Model: Adventure

Post by Marki » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:38 pm

Just curious but on a stock airbox is there much ram air affect with the inlets being up front in the high pressure air? Probably impossible to test on a dyno even with a big fan.