125cc
125cc
City: Listowel
Year: 2017
Colour: Black & Orange

Steering Nut torque

Post by Shane » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:28 pm

Hey All,

I have a 2016 SDR that has been getting head shake under hard acceleration progressively worse since I got the bike. At first I figured it was just a suspension thing since there was no way something could have "wrong" from the dealer/factory. But it kept getting worse without suspension/weight changes so i went looking for something else.

Had the front of the bike off the ground a while ago and couldn't feel any play in steering head. Checked all suspension bolts. Checked rear hub. Had stiffer springs installed in the front (unrelated to this) and played with suspension settings. Things got a little better when I firmed the rear of the bike up, i thought ok this is as good as it's gonna get. Then it started getting shaky again.

I pulled the top triple clamp off and to my surprise the steering nut (the round donut with the holes around the perimeter) was loose AF! I cranked it down a little bit, put it back together and set the bike down. Clearly though I tightened it to much. Steering was really stiff. Took it back apart loosened a little and tried it again. Felt better but I wanted to check how to properly torque it down. Called the dealer, they don't possess the proper tool to do it, they have a mechanic that has his own way of doing it. Apparently the tool costs big $$$.

I can't remember the exact specs in the manual, but I am putting this out to you guys. How do you do it in your own garage? I am handy enough with tools having owned several MX bikes which constantly need wrenching. I want it to be safe but not destroy the steering head bearings.

Suggestions? thx

Spiff
Supporter
Supporter
City: Las Vegas

Re: Steering Nut torque

Post by Spiff » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:40 am

Owners manual download.😎

https://www.ktm.com/service/manuals/

Shane
125cc
125cc
City: Listowel

Re: Steering Nut torque

Post by Shane » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:30 am

I have the owners manual and I found the torque specs. Don’t have the special torque wrench tool necessary to tighten that round nut with the holes around the perimeter. Looking for tips on how to do it by feel without that tool.... 8-)