Oil change

Post Reply
User avatar
dukebadboy
500cc
500cc
Posts: 123
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:58 pm
Country: UK
City: London
Year: 2012
Contact:

Oil change

Post by dukebadboy » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:42 pm

Could you please explain how much oil one needs to add when changing it?
The manual is extremely obscure, it says it needs to be done in 2 stages, 3l first, then run the engine, then 3.6l.

Does it mean I need to put 6.6l in total?

I had a 4l bottle, I did put 3l first, ran the engine. Then started to top up and by 4l the level was full.

So? Did I do it right?

Sent from my MIX using Tapatalk

Galleta
125cc
125cc
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:24 am
Country: United States
City: Albuquerque
Year: 2015

Re: Oil change

Post by Galleta » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:07 pm

Engine oil capacity is in the owners manual. 3.6 liters. As long as you use the site glass to check the level like the instructions state, you should be fine.

User avatar
dukebadboy
500cc
500cc
Posts: 123
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:58 pm
Country: UK
City: London
Year: 2012
Contact:

Re: RE: Re: Oil change

Post by dukebadboy » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:09 pm

Galleta wrote:Engine oil capacity is in the owners manual. 3.6 liters. As long as you use the site glass to check the level like the instructions state, you should be fine.
I'm pretty sure that at 3.6l from the bottle, the side glass level was only half full.

Sent from my MIX using Tapatalk

User avatar
Spiff
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 175
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:05 pm
Country: United States
City: Las Vegas
Year: 2010

Re: Oil change

Post by Spiff » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:58 pm

The tech who did my 600 miles service said don't over fill it. In fact his instructions were to run it just a bit from full. They have had situations of oil making it's way into the air box.

User avatar
dukebadboy
500cc
500cc
Posts: 123
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:58 pm
Country: UK
City: London
Year: 2012
Contact:

Re: RE: Re: Oil change

Post by dukebadboy » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:16 pm

Spiff wrote:The tech who did my 600 miles service said don't over fill it. In fact his instructions were to run it just a bit from full. They have had situations of oil making it's way into the air box.
Is there a simple way to drain it?

Sent from my MIX using Tapatalk

User avatar
Spiff
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 175
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:05 pm
Country: United States
City: Las Vegas
Year: 2010

Re: Oil change

Post by Spiff » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:01 am

The airbox? Don't know.

paul65
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:15 pm
Country: United Kingdom
City: leeds
Year: 2017

Re: RE: Re: Oil change

Post by paul65 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:15 am

dukebadboy wrote:
Spiff wrote:The tech who did my 600 miles service said don't over fill it. In fact his instructions were to run it just a bit from full. They have had situations of oil making it's way into the air box.
Is there a simple way to drain it?

Sent from my MIX using Tapatalk
100ml srymge with tube on end to draw out excess oil thats what i would use ...

User avatar
dukebadboy
500cc
500cc
Posts: 123
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:58 pm
Country: UK
City: London
Year: 2012
Contact:

Re: RE: Re: Oil change

Post by dukebadboy » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:16 am

Spiff wrote:The airbox? Don't know.
No, I meant the excess of oil. I guess just open one of the drain plugs and let some of the oil out?

Sent from my MIX using Tapatalk

User avatar
Spiff
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 175
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:05 pm
Country: United States
City: Las Vegas
Year: 2010

Re: RE: Re: Oil change

Post by Spiff » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:49 am

dukebadboy wrote:
Spiff wrote:The airbox? Don't know.
No, I meant the excess of oil. I guess just open one of the drain plugs and let some of the oil out?

Sent from my MIX using Tapatalk
Yeah, that's what I would do.

Newjerseyduke
675cc
675cc
Posts: 227
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:31 pm
Country: Usa
City: Riverdale , NJ
Year: 2015

Re: Oil change

Post by Newjerseyduke » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:15 pm

Change filter. Clean or change screens. Put it all back together. Fill oil reservoir with 3 liters and run bike for a few mins. Stand up bike and fill to appropriate full level on glass.
2015 SDR 1290

User avatar
dukebadboy
500cc
500cc
Posts: 123
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:58 pm
Country: UK
City: London
Year: 2012
Contact:

Re: Oil change

Post by dukebadboy » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:20 am

To recap the whole story:


I did drain all oil (waited about 20mins for it to come out). Reinstalled drain plugs and oil filter. Filled in 3l of oil. Ran engine for about 2-3mins (maybe this was a mistake).
The engine was still hot when I started the whole procedure. I then started to top up oil to the max level. It turned out that I used all 4l when the oil hit the top mark.

I did about 20km since oil change, didn't notice anything unusual, but still decided to drain some oil.

Once I started to drain oil, the level in the side gauge immediately started to go down (so I guess it means I never overfilled it in the first place?). I did drain about 300ml and level was showing ~80%.

I did about 500km since then and now it shows 70%. So today I did top it up to 95%.

Sent from my MIX using Tapatalk

Joe biker
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:32 am
Country: usa
City: vero beach
Year: 2014
Colour: Black
Location: vero beach florida
Contact:

Re: Oil change

Post by Joe biker » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:59 am

I do my oil change stone cold,the oil stays cleaner as overnight all the bad stuff drains to
The bottom of the sump.
Try it you will see a difference!!!'

jaroszadam7
125cc
125cc
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:55 am
Country: USA
City: Plainfield
Year: 2017

Re: Oil change

Post by jaroszadam7 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:16 pm

dukebadboy wrote:Could you please explain how much oil one needs to add when changing it?
The manual is extremely obscure, it says it needs to be done in 2 stages, 3l first, then run the engine, then 3.6l.

Does it mean I need to put 6.6l in total?

I had a 4l bottle, I did put 3l first, ran the engine. Then started to top up and by 4l the level was full.

So? Did I do it right?

Sent from my MIX using Tapatalk



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaroszadam7
125cc
125cc
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:55 am
Country: USA
City: Plainfield
Year: 2017

Re: Oil change

Post by jaroszadam7 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:17 pm

jaroszadam7 wrote:
dukebadboy wrote:Could you please explain how much oil one needs to add when changing it?
The manual is extremely obscure, it says it needs to be done in 2 stages, 3l first, then run the engine, then 3.6l.

Does it mean I need to put 6.6l in total?

I had a 4l bottle, I did put 3l first, ran the engine. Then started to top up and by 4l the level was full.

So? Did I do it right?

Sent from my MIX using Tapatalk



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just did my first oil change, exactly 4 liters of oil.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paul65
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:15 pm
Country: United Kingdom
City: leeds
Year: 2017

Re: Oil change

Post by paul65 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:27 pm

i changed mine and put 3.5l in which was about 3/4 up the sight glass when stood upright

big tall dave
125cc
125cc
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:16 am
Country: USA
City: Nashville
Year: 2016

Re: Oil change

Post by big tall dave » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:16 pm

I drain mine on the kick stand with the engine cold (not really cold, but just garage temp =80F) and then leave the plugs, traps and filter out and dripping all night. In the morning i’ll put 3-ish litres in, warm the engine up, then fill it to the top level on the sight glass while resting on the side stand on a flat surface. Check again after a ride. Just under 4 litres total I believe.

Another tip I learned was to cut a plastic water bottle into a tube and temporarily slide it over the exhaust where the oil drains so I won’t have a smoky garage when I fire it back up (especially since I wrapped my exhaust with fibreglass heat wrap)

Post Reply