Izo Azlion
50cc
50cc
City: Kelowna
Year: 2015
Colour: Black & Orange

Not sure what my options are here...

Post by Izo Azlion » Wed May 02, 2018 12:35 am

Two years ago I bought my 2015 KTM Superduke 1290 R, old stock, 0km from a dealer here in BC, Canada.

The bike itself is excellent, I've really enjoyed it, however -

I discovered the bike has the same issue as many SDR's in that the front brake rotors don't appear to be mounted true, leading into the front brakes developing a warp. I found this reasonably early on but only in the last few months of what i thought was my warranty did I try to get it fixed.

When I did try to get it warrantied, local KTM dealer (not the one I bought it from) found that my warranty never even existed since I owned the bike. It had been activated when the bike had arrived at the original dealer, lets call them dealer A, and had expired even before I had bought the bike.

No one explained that to me before, during or after purchasing the bike and I figured that I had a 12 month warranty on the bike.

With that in mind I kept riding the bike and simply dealt with the shitty front rotors, figuring - at that time - a new set of front rotors would fix the issue. I even did a 6400km road trip on the bike and during the 25,000km I've rode the bike, sometimes - not always, only once in a while, when you pull the front brake lever it will require more lever movement for the same level of braking effect. Most notably in a tunnel after a quick braaaap, then wanting to brake behind a huge truck, the brakes were ineffectual at the first grab and pumped up at the second one. Worrying.

Meanwhile the bike also generated another somewhat typical SDR issue of the tach needle 'jumping' during the priming cycle to a random RPM indication, and then using that as it's 'base point' unless you cycled the ignition a few times in order to get the needle back to 0. This is apparently caused by water getting into the dash.

Alright I can live with that for now but over the winter I tried to fix my brakes. New Galfer rotors, and new pads, and... the bike still makes the same noise when pushing it around - same as this video, that isn't my video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JA41G2U4o8

So I figure there's still something wrong with the rotors. Fast forward to most recently, I had the rotor mounts inspected to see if they were totally true, mechanic says they are 1000th of an inch out. New rotors of course appear to be warping, and more annoyingly/worryingly the lever periodically does have to be pulled further... most the time its fine, but that 'once in a while' feeling really destroys the desire to ride it.

The only other thing to note is that I did notice the lever movement perhaps being more noticeable or even starting altogether after installing a CRG front brake lever.

I appreciate this post is a bit of a mind-spurge, and also that I should have probably been on the phone to KTM from day 1 when I realised my warranty was borked. Now I'm not sure what I can really do, as the bike has been well out of warranty even from my purchase date, and there isn't much history on an 'official' level with KTM or otherwise, so I expect I'm up shit creek.

Currently the bike is with a mechanic and he's taking a look at the front end. Simply put though, these issues are stupid for such an expensive bike, and I feel like for the money spent the product should be much better.

I am an idiot for not doing something sooner, but I didn't think that this would be nearly as bad as it is.

Any ideas?

TL;DR - Superduke has issues with brake and tach, warranty apparently didn't exist during my time owning the bike, I haven't done enough about it.

Joe1290
250cc
250cc
City: Palmerston North
Colour: Black

Re: Not sure what my options are here...

Post by Joe1290 » Wed May 02, 2018 8:46 pm

Sorry to hear of your troubles. My bike suffers from both those issues, but I'm well out of my warranty and have over 72,000km on the clock. I did get the first set of rotors replaced under warranty, but the issue came back. Fortunately it's not bad and no more than an annoyance at this point.
What is the standard warranty you have where you are? Two years here.

Izo Azlion
50cc
50cc

Post by Izo Azlion » Thu May 03, 2018 3:48 am

I think ours is just 12 months here. Frustrating for such an expensive bike. Mechanic where i left it tells me he has 'fixed' it but I find that hard to believe. I will report back tomorrow.

vernonbc
250cc
250cc
City: Vernon
Year: 2014

Post by vernonbc » Fri May 04, 2018 2:58 am

That is correct, we have only 12 months warranty here. I have a 14 and have been fortunate and had no issues other than a fuel filter replacement and of course the play in the hub of which it has caused me no grief whatsoever.
I have had problems with my rotors as well but have since changed to the wavy rotors with new brake pads. I bedded in the pads as per a recomendation on the web and had no dragging problems.....then all of a sudden it came back. I have learned to live with it.
I have had issues with my brakes on my DR650 where I would pull the lever and it would go all the way to the bars with no braking. After a few pumps it would be fine. I have since changed the brake fluid and bled the system at the caliper and at the lever. I have had no problems since and that was 3 years ago.
On the SDR there is a bleed nipple at the lever and that may have to be bled.

Izo Azlion
50cc
50cc

Post by Izo Azlion » Wed May 09, 2018 5:05 am

Well overall the brakes seem fine.

Now the only thing remaining is the stupid tach needle. Sometimes, mainly when its hot, it just sits at a stupidly high RPM, despite everything else working properly.