125cc
125cc
City: PORTLAND
Year: 2014
Colour: Black & Orange

Sheared off oil filter cap screw

Post by slowdown » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:06 pm

I must be the village idiot.

After spilling a bunch of oil all over my drive way, I continued on with the oil change on my '14 1290R. I drained all the oil (much of it overflowing from the collection cannister), put my new filter in, and then got ready to re-torque all the bolts and fill with fresh oil.

Well, I know the oil filter cover screws only need to be tightened to 8Nm. I have 2 torque wrenches. My smaller one has a low limit of 13Nm. Dumbass me figured that 13 was probably close enough to 8, and that should be fine. Apparently not. As I was waiting for the characteristic "Click" from my torque wrench, I instead heard a startling "Ping!" as the bolt sheared off inside the bore, and the T30 end shot across my garage. :evil:

I've gotten a bolt extractor, but I can't seem to drill into the little bastard well enough to start putting the bolt extractor in. The surface where the bolt sheared off is not flat, and when I try to drill into it to get a hole for the extractor, the drill bit is getting off center and starting to mar the area around the thread. The bolt is sheared off inside the bore, too far to get a pair of needle nose plier on it and try to unscrew it that way.

I guess I'm gonna go get a punch and see if I can get a hole started in the bolt in order to use the extractor.

I love making simple jobs complicated.

Joe1290
250cc
250cc
City: Palmerston North
Year: 2015
Colour: Black

Re: Sheared off oil filter cap screw

Post by Joe1290 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:34 am

Nasty, so best of luck with that extraction.

Secondly, why are you still using the old filters?

HDKAWKTM
Supporter
Supporter
City: clemson
Year: 2015

Post by HDKAWKTM » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:30 am

It looks to be a M5x16 bolt, maybe get new ones for each change or possibly a stronger bolt once you get it out? I hope you do get it out.
ktm drawing.JPG
ktm drawing.JPG (27.9 KiB) Viewed 668 times
ktm part num.JPG

I have had good results using these to get a bolt moving then just take a small pointed pick and rotate them out. You need the very smallest point on the spring punch for a bolt that small.
Punch.JPG
Current Stable: 2015 SDR, 2013 Kawasaki Concours 14, 2011 Harley Ultra Limited "Clemson Tigers NCAA Football National Champs" :mrgreen:

slowdown
125cc
125cc
City: PORTLAND
Year: 2014
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by slowdown » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:27 pm

Well, I've tried everything that I'm comfortable trying here in my very amateur workshop. Went and got a punch, got some titanium drill bits, some left handed drill bits, several sizes of easy-outs... I dunno.

Tow truck is on the way, dealer is expecting it.

Spoke with them on the phone about continuing trying to drill out the bolt on my own. They cautioned that drilling in that area could damage other structures and lead to needing an entirely new engine case. I don't think I've botched it to that point, but I guess we'll find out. At least I have likely destroyed the threading in the bore at this point.

Joe1290- Its a K&N filter. It looked identical to the KTM filter that I took out when I drained the oil. https://www.knfilters.com/search/produc ... rod=KN-158

After several google searches, it seems like this is a semi-common issue with KTM bikes. I've seen several threads on the 390 forum, one on ADVrider, and other places for various KTM models. So, learn from my mistake anyone reading this.