Anthony
125cc
125cc
City: Baltimore
Year: 2017
Colour: Black

Blinking switchgear lights

Post by Anthony » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:03 pm

The switchgear lights on my 2017 started blinking when I started the bike up today.

I noticed that when the heated grips are set to "off" the lights go out completely. When the heated grips are set to "low" or "medium", they blink on and off at a constant rate. When the heated grips are set to "high" the lights are solid, as one would expect during normal operation.

I disconnected the battery to reset the system. I also unplugged, cleaned out, and replugged the grip wires. Same issue.

This happened two days after a ride home in the rain, although I dried it off when I got home.

I see in the "Lights On" thread (viewtopic.php?f=28&t=9264) the switchgear may be vulnerable to water.

Has anyone else run into this?

Thanks.
Last edited by Anthony on Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anthony
125cc
125cc
City: Baltimore
Year: 2017
Colour: Black

Re: Blinking switchgear lights

Post by Anthony » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:53 pm

After about a week and 200 miles the blinking issue was still there.

I decided to try and open the switchgear. I loosened the front screw on the right one and slightly cracked it open. It may have displaced some moisture because when I accidentally hit the power button everything came on as expected -- with the solid lit switchgear. I screwed it back down and everything stayed working correctly.

It's good that it's working now but I'm a little apprehensive about the resilience of the switchgear.

mrossk
500cc
500cc
City: santa fe
Year: 2015

Re: Blinking switchgear lights

Post by mrossk » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:37 pm

maybe try some dielectric grease to protect?