nick280
675cc
675cc
City: Cumbria
Year: 2017

Lights on

Post by nick280 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:15 pm

Hi all,

I washed the bike today, no differently to how I usually wash the bike. Once done, I ran the bike to put some heat through the engine parts while using the bike dryer for the rest of the bike. Once all dried, switched the bike off. I noticed the led bars was on with main beam, no dip, ignition off. Switched bike on and only the led bars on, as it normally is. I paid attention ad switched off the ignition, the dip beam came on briefly, then went off and main beam came on with led bars on all the time. Disconnected battery and reconnected, just the same.

It's salted roads here now so the bike is in the dinning room with battery removed. It has some recalls due at the dealers so I will let them know about this issue but wanted to see if others have heard or experienced this. Is it water in the electrics? If so, why does it behave correctly with ignition on?

Cheers all.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

KTM 1290 Super Duke GT - 2017 - Orange/White :P
KTM 350 EXC-F - 2015 - Orange/White :twisted:
KTM 1190 Adventure - 2014 - Orange - Sold
Honda VFR1200X-C - 2013 - White - Sold
KTM 990 SMT - 2009 - Orange - Sold
KTM 660 SMC - 2003 - Orange - Sold

kurt_w_n79
250cc
250cc
City: Portsmouth
Colour: White

Re: Lights on

Post by kurt_w_n79 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:17 am

nick280,
The exact same thing happened to mine today after I washed it. Tried everything but disconnecting the battery to get it to go off. After about 30 minutes it started turning off when I would flip on the high beam switch. Not long after that it turned off on it's own. It's done it a couple times previously for a few minutes, not associated with washing it. But that was the first time it stayed on for that long. Please post if you find anything out with the dealer.

nick280
675cc
675cc
City: Cumbria

Post by nick280 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:04 am

kurt_w_n79 wrote:nick280,
The exact same thing happened to mine today after I washed it. Tried everything but disconnecting the battery to get it to go off. After about 30 minutes it started turning off when I would flip on the high beam switch. Not long after that it turned off on it's own. It's done it a couple times previously for a few minutes, not associated with washing it. But that was the first time it stayed on for that long. Please post if you find anything out with the dealer.
Haha, how coincidental. I will let you know what they say. One of the recalls is a system software update. Im wondering if this could be one of the issues it cures.

KTM 1290 Super Duke GT - 2017 - Orange/White :P
KTM 350 EXC-F - 2015 - Orange/White :twisted:
KTM 1190 Adventure - 2014 - Orange - Sold
Honda VFR1200X-C - 2013 - White - Sold
KTM 990 SMT - 2009 - Orange - Sold
KTM 660 SMC - 2003 - Orange - Sold

Thoz
50cc
50cc
City: Barrow in Furness

Post by Thoz » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:56 pm

same thing with my bike 3 weeks ago at work, so finished early to take it home before the battery went flat. On the way home the right indicator kept turning itself on and the left wouldn't work at all and about 300 metres from home a warning message of "GENERAL FAILURE " came up on the dash. I've done the same as both of you and took the battery off. Phoned several dealers (as the rocketcentre is now closed down) to find the nearest dealer is Dewsbury and could only fit me in end of January and was told I have to get the bike to them, so looks like a van hire as I'm not confident it's going to get there under its own steam...... any updates on your own bikes..😀

kurt_w_n79
250cc
250cc
City: Portsmouth

Post by kurt_w_n79 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:03 pm

Thoz wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:56 pm
same thing with my bike 3 weeks ago at work, so finished early to take it home before the battery went flat. On the way home the right indicator kept turning itself on and the left wouldn't work at all and about 300 metres from home a warning message of "GENERAL FAILURE " came up on the dash. I've done the same as both of you and took the battery off. Phoned several dealers (as the rocketcentre is now closed down) to find the nearest dealer is Dewsbury and could only fit me in end of January and was told I have to get the bike to them, so looks like a van hire as I'm not confident it's going to get there under its own steam...... any updates on your own bikes..😀
After my initial problems I disconnected the battery and then reconnected it the next morning and all seemed fine so I rode to work. No problems while riding but when I got there and tried turning the bike off, the light stayed on again and the turn signals went crazy. Disconnected it for the day and let it sit in the shop with a fan on it. Then reconnected the battery to go home and haven't had a problem since (haven't washed it since though).

I was reading the owners manual though and it does say to go for a ride after washing. So this must be an anticipated issue if they went to the trouble of adding that line to the manual. I'd feel better if I could figure out where the water got in so I can do something to keep it out or at least know what to dry out if it happens again. I kind of suspect it may be getting into the left buttons' control housing since it seems to only affecting the turn signals and the headlight.

You might try pulling it somewhere with low humidity (if possible) and putting a fan on it. Just let the dry air pull the moisture out. That's basically what fixed mine.

paul65
Supporter
Supporter
City: leeds

Post by paul65 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:49 am

Thoz wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:56 pm
Teasdale Motorcycles Ltd.
80 Long St, Thirsk YO7 1AU

wouldnt these be your nearest KTM dealer buddy

paul65
Supporter
Supporter
City: leeds

Post by paul65 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:57 am

it looks like the 17 does,nt like water around the switch area its a poor design considering what it does ...
iam careful around switchgear when washing mine touch wood no problems so far

Striff
250cc
250cc
City: Brisbane

Post by Striff » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:44 am

Knock on wood, mine had not had this issue, been through some torrential rain and pressure washers, no issues as yet.

It always a good idea to take your car or bike for a sun after washing it, help get rid of water in difficult spots.

Thoz
50cc
50cc
City: Barrow in Furness

Post by Thoz » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:54 pm

[/quote]
Teasdale Motorcycles Ltd.
80 Long St, Thirsk YO7 1AU

wouldnt these be your nearest KTM dealer buddy
[/quote]

Cheers bud, didn't know there was a KTM dealer in Thirsk.....
Re connected the battery this evening and it all looks fine, so going to hang fire taking it to a dealer, unless it goes pear shaped again, till the spring as there might be a dealer in place for the north west by then..... but will take it to Teasdales if not as it's a cracking run out to Thirsk from here on a nicer day...