Spotless Bike, other than these bubbles

Fry
Supporter
Supporter
City: Auburn
Year: 2017

Spotless Bike, other than these bubbles

Post by Fry » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:28 pm

I take pride in how clean and detailed I keep my 2017 SDR. On a weekly basis it goes up on stands for me to clean it, inspect it and detail it, every nut, bolt, bracket and surface gets touched with the appropriate cleaners, detailers and applicators, all done by hand, it takes hours. I usually Wax the tank once a month, again using top notch products and a lengthy process to ensure my idea of perfection.

This morning after last nights thorough wash and dry I was going to apply some Detailer mist to the tank. However before doing so I noticed 3 Pen head sized dots\bubbles in a tight circular grouping right above the left radiator wing where it follows the front edge of the tank, the bubbles are not on an edge but on a flat surface of the tank. A bit further back and up toward the mid point towards the Gas Cap I also noticed a few dots outlined by what looks like a small piece of thread embedded in the paint clear coat. The thing with this particular spot is that it wasn't there a week ago nor was any product applied that would capture and embedded this thin thread looking blemish which is outlining a few dots\bubbles.

Correct me if I'm wrong, hasn't the SDR suffered from Paint\Clear Coat bubbling on the Gas Tanks?

I plan on taking the bike into the dealer today prior to work and am going to have them inspect the blemishes to see what they have to say? Can I\Should I push for a warranty repair\Tank Replacement? If so how would you go about it?

I have a decent relationship with my Salesman and the Sales Manager and shoot the shit with the Head Mechanic every time I'm down there grabbing parts or supplies yet I've never had them do the initial 1st service as I do not trust anyone working on my bike. I've done everything, and more that they would do on a 1st service, actually way more than they would have done yet I am not sure if they will use my zero service record as a means to deny any warranty claim.

I tried getting pictures of the blemishes to post them here but I was unable to capture them on film with the bike outdoors and in the sun.

Here are some pics of the bike cleaned and detailed.

michaelnel
Supporter
Supporter
City: Angels Camp, CA
Year: 2016
Colour: Black & Orange

Re: Spotless Bike, other than these bubbles

Post by michaelnel » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:01 am

Just kick it over on its side, then pick it up and go get it all covered with bugs.

mrossk
500cc
500cc
City: santa fe
Year: 2015

Post by mrossk » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:00 am

+1 :)

Fry
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Fry » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:18 am

michaelnel wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:01 am
Just kick it over on its side, then pick it up and go get it all covered with bugs.
This I could do well......

Fry
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Fry » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:33 pm

Well, the Service Manager looked at the bike, took pictures of the 3 affected areas and stated that he will send the pictures off to KTM. I stated that although the areas are rather small, these blemishes weren't there upon delivery off the bike, and only appeared this past week or so. I relayed my opinion that these areas will only continue to get worse due to the nature of why the blemishes are occurring in the 1st place. He was more than understanding, we'll see where this goes.

Joe biker
Supporter
Supporter
City: vero beach
Year: 2014
Colour: Black

Post by Joe biker » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:00 am

I have a 14 1290 and it started to get bubbles in
the paint under the decals on the gas tank.
Bike is out of warranty so I had to deal with customer relations.
First question was were was the bike serviced?
I told them only at ktm dealers.
If fact the dealer told them my bike was aways spotless when they serviced it.
I told customer relations that if they supplied the new tank I would pay the dealers labor to install it.
A hour later I got a call from the dealership saying ktm was sending me a new tank problem
solved !!!!!

Fry
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Fry » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:30 am

I never heard back from the Service manager. And the areas, miniscule as they are haven't gotten worse so...

Joe biker
Supporter
Supporter
City: vero beach
Year: 2014

Post by Joe biker » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:59 pm

KTM customer relations
440-985-3553
They are your best bet
They can contact your dealer about your problem.

Striff
250cc
250cc
City: Brisbane

Post by Striff » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:49 pm

Nice looking bike.
I couldn't see any blemishes, but I'm on my phone.

This is the first time I've seen this exhaust with the rear foot rests. Which is what I'm looking for.
How loud is the exhaust, any baffling in the mid pipe?

I've got the comp werkes shorty and it's too loud for me, but sounds great.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

megalord
500cc
500cc
City: london

Post by megalord » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:50 am

I try to ignore my tank and just ride my bike. You could grate cheese with the damn thing by now. I haven't noticed any bubbling though.

Your bike looks damn good.

Are those bars narrower than stock? What bar ends and mirrors are they?

Gridiron
125cc
125cc
City: Aberdeen
Year: 2010
Model: SMT

Post by Gridiron » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:45 am

It could be a reaction to the overuse of cleaning products

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fry
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Fry » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:26 pm

Striff wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:49 pm
Nice looking bike.
I couldn't see any blemishes, but I'm on my phone.

This is the first time I've seen this exhaust with the rear foot rests. Which is what I'm looking for.
How loud is the exhaust, any baffling in the mid pipe?

I've got the comp werkes shorty and it's too loud for me, but sounds great.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Thank you for the compliment on the bike.

The Mid Pip is just a bent up pipe to the Can, no baffling in that, the can has some Stainless steel mesh, I do not run the DB killer it came with. It is Obnoxiously loud which is what I like...The bike sounds like a Big Block running Open Headers. It has some serious "Brap", it commands attention. AR use to supply this end can with 2 welded onto the can L Shaped brackets that mount in the 2 Pass Foot Peg Bracket threaded holes, they now supply it with just one which they say testing shows is strong enough, however with just 1 bracket it creates a pivot point and the can which is a slip fit onto the mid pipe had a lot of movement. I drilled down through the supplied bracket that allows passenger foot peg use, into the L-shaped bracket and added another Bolt\Nut combo which eliminated most of the movement.

Fry
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Fry » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:28 pm

megalord wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:50 am
I try to ignore my tank and just ride my bike. You could grate cheese with the damn thing by now. I haven't noticed any bubbling though.

Your bike looks damn good.

Are those bars narrower than stock? What bar ends and mirrors are they?
Thanks for the compliment on the bike.

The bars are a total of 3" over stock width, I will be cutting them down a 1" 1/2 to 1" 3/4 on each side very soon.

The Bar Ends are Rhino Moto's which are Grooved to allow clamping of the CRG Lane splitter Mirrors onto them.