What have you broken today?

Fry
Supporter
Supporter
City: Auburn
Year: 2017

What have you broken today?

Post by Fry » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:02 pm

When installing the Quad lock Cell Phone Mount (Bicycle version) I needed to remove TFT Screen and tilt down the Headlight assembly.

Fast forward a week or so the top headlight self tapping screw falls out and is lost on the road, resulting in my headlight leaning forward on its lower hinge, Zip ties provided a quick fix for the time being.

So I ordered a new Headlight bolt and tried installing it today, yet this self tapping (Into Plastic) screw would not get tight? So after messing around a bit I decided to take apart the plastic tray/directional assembly plastic surround to see why the headlight bolt wouldn't tighten into what it was being screwed into.

KTM is pretty slick, the Headlight screw screws into what looks like a small plastic barrel that is captured in its own little compartment/groove that is molded into the plastic Directional mounting plate assembly that sits behind the headlight. When I removed this small T looking item I noticed it was split, I obviously over torqued it resulting in it not allowing the headlight bolt to get tight.

So, quick call to dealership and the $2.00+ item is on order.

So, what have you broken today?

mrossk
500cc
500cc
City: santa fe
Year: 2015

Re: What have you broken today?

Post by mrossk » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:25 am

I've managed to strip and/or round the heads off a few bolts- either replaced via KTM or the local hardware store. Those kinds of things sound innocent enough in hindsight, but at the time they assume huge proportions. Frustrating, and they make me feel dumb. Usually just the smallest amount of inattention....

Spiff
Supporter
Supporter
City: Las Vegas
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by Spiff » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:07 pm

The fasteners don't appear to be the highest speck stuff. I don't think this bike likes to be taken apart and put back together. One really needs to pay attention when putting a wrench or screwdriver to the bike. I have 3 screws I want to replace.

Fry
Supporter
Supporter
City: Auburn

Post by Fry » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:39 am

Spiff wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:07 pm
The fasteners don't appear to be the highest speck stuff. I don't think this bike likes to be taken apart and put back together. One really needs to pay attention when putting a wrench or screwdriver to the bike. I have 3 screws I want to replace.
Of all of the work that I have done I am surprised I haven't fucked up bigger, or more expensive items, this is the 1st fastener that I've messed up. Though to be honest I am super, super careful taking things apart as I agree on the lack of quality on the Fasteners.

kromy67
50cc
50cc
City: Friendswood

Post by kromy67 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:39 pm

I learned to finger tight only on those cases. Feeling how much you put to take them out helps to know how much you need to put them back in. I had to use a bigger diameter stud for the air box because over torque. It might have been me when learning or the dealer which is always good to be blamed.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk