Rear Brakes are Wooden.

Post Reply
Fry
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 517
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:47 am
Country: United States
City: Auburn
Year: 2017

Rear Brakes are Wooden.

Post by Fry » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:35 pm

What is everyone's experience with the rear brakes on their SDR's?

The majority of my braking events are done with the fronts, I'm very hard on them and use them to their fullest. I have a great feel at the lever and know they'll put the rear tire up in the air if I want them to.

However, the rear brake on my 17 is just useless. I sometimes use it for a bit of trail braking and or when stopped at a light but Jesus there is no feel what so ever at the pedal?, You can't feel anything that you could consider being the rear pads biting onto the disc, it feels like paper pads biting down on a Balsa wood rotor, WTF? I like to have a real touchy rear brake, hell I don't even mind having the rear be like a light switch, locking up at the slightest touch of the pedal, the rears on this is just horrific.

I guess I'll bleed them at some point and put in new pads during the winter, along with new front pads, just looking to see if others are not satisfied with their rears?

Some other questions?

What Brake fluids does everyone use\like (I like Motul 600?)

What pads, brand and composition is everyone using on the streets?

Thanks in advance.

User avatar
Spiff
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 246
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:05 pm
Country: United States
City: Las Vegas
Year: 2017
Colour: Black & Orange

Re: Rear Brakes are Wooden.

Post by Spiff » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:57 pm

Try putting it into supermoto mode, the abs likes to interfere. Sucks you have to do it every time you start it. Also I had to adjust the lever on mine.

Fry
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 517
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:47 am
Country: United States
City: Auburn
Year: 2017

Re: Rear Brakes are Wooden.

Post by Fry » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:58 pm

Spiff wrote:Try putting it into supermoto mode, the abs likes to interfere. Sucks you have to do it every time you start it. Also I had to adjust the lever on mine.

Ill try that out today on my way home.

Thanks.

User avatar
5150 Pops
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 262
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:10 am
Country: USA
City: NORTH CHESTERFIELD
Year: 2015
Colour: Black
Location: USA Virginia

Re: Rear Brakes are Wooden.

Post by 5150 Pops » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:59 pm

Spiff wrote:Try putting it into supermoto mode, the abs likes to interfere. Sucks you have to do it every time you start it.
Not if u buy the dongle from KTM.

paul65
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:15 pm
Country: United Kingdom
City: leeds
Year: 2017

Re: Rear Brakes are Wooden.

Post by paul65 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:11 pm

what dongle prey do tell ??

Fry
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 517
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:47 am
Country: United States
City: Auburn
Year: 2017

Re: Rear Brakes are Wooden.

Post by Fry » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:34 pm

Yes, i do recall a dongle? Im lazy, link? Thanks

Newjerseyduke
675cc
675cc
Posts: 227
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:31 pm
Country: Usa
City: Riverdale , NJ
Year: 2015

Re: Rear Brakes are Wooden.

Post by Newjerseyduke » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:42 pm

Ktm race dongle. It will say 'illegal ' on the dash every time you start it.
2015 SDR 1290

Fry
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 517
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:47 am
Country: United States
City: Auburn
Year: 2017

Re: Rear Brakes are Wooden.

Post by Fry » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:01 am

I disabled ABS on the ride home and i was able to lock the rear up better...Still feels a bit weak....Might be time for another dongle...Prior to KTM ownership i didnt know what a dongle was, now i have a few, lol.

User avatar
5150 Pops
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 262
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:10 am
Country: USA
City: NORTH CHESTERFIELD
Year: 2015
Colour: Black
Location: USA Virginia

Re: Rear Brakes are Wooden.

Post by 5150 Pops » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:39 am

Fry wrote:I disabled ABS on the ride home and i was able to lock the rear up better...Still feels a bit weak....Might be time for another dongle...Prior to KTM ownership i didnt know what a dongle was, now i have a few, lol.
Probably bleed your rear master cylinder, but you know most ~85% of you whoa powah comes from that lever on the right of your handlebar?

Once u get the dongle, as mentioned before, it will always read not legal and flash on-screen at every startup, as long as it's plugged in. You can immediately get rid of by toggling the the buttons on the left portion of handlebar.

Savman
125cc
125cc
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:17 pm
Country: UK
City: Brighton
Year: 2016
Colour: White

Re: Rear Brakes are Wooden.

Post by Savman » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:20 pm

Damn, the things got a rear brake.

Fry
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 517
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:47 am
Country: United States
City: Auburn
Year: 2017

Re: Rear Brakes are Wooden.

Post by Fry » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:19 pm

5150 Pops wrote:
Fry wrote:I disabled ABS on the ride home and i was able to lock the rear up better...Still feels a bit weak....Might be time for another dongle...Prior to KTM ownership i didnt know what a dongle was, now i have a few, lol.
Probably bleed your rear master cylinder, but you know most ~85% of you whoa powah comes from that lever on the right of your handlebar?

Once u get the dongle, as mentioned before, it will always read not legal and flash on-screen at every startup, as long as it's plugged in. You can immediately get rid of by toggling the the buttons on the left portion of handlebar.
Yes, the majority of my braking events are handled perfectly with the Fronts, things haul the bike down from ridiculous speeds.

I will be getting the dongle shortly.

Post Reply