megalord
500cc
500cc
City: london
Year: 2017
Colour: Black

2017 Keyless issue

Post by megalord » Fri May 26, 2017 12:16 pm

If I ride for about an hour sometimes I get a warning that the key isn't in range, anyone have this? Was thinking about changing the battery but it works fine usually. I do have the key on the same ring as a garage door opener, not sure if this is an issue.

Spiff
Supporter
Supporter
City: Las Vegas
Colour: Black & Orange

Re: 2017 Keyless issue

Post by Spiff » Fri May 26, 2017 9:23 pm

I would eliminate the battery from the equation. Less than $5 at Walgreens.

Adoligy69
250cc
250cc
City: Gold Coast

Post by Adoligy69 » Fri May 26, 2017 10:29 pm

Yeah its been happening to a few of us ....
just one of those annoying little things i think
i just hit the re set and it goes away
Ado

Dave-k
125cc
125cc
City: Melbourne

Post by Dave-k » Fri May 26, 2017 10:36 pm

Mine does it every ride. I haven't changed the battery in the remote yet, as it goes away when you clear the fault but I suppose I should get around to it. I wasn't sure it was the battery after all the reports on it happening but seems like the first place to start.

Adoligy69
250cc
250cc

Post by Adoligy69 » Fri May 26, 2017 10:39 pm

HMMM ...seems like our Auzzie bikes sure have the problem ....
mine doesn't do it every ride ..but every 2nd one for sure

megalord
500cc
500cc

Post by megalord » Sat May 27, 2017 12:22 am

How do you reset?

Do you guys carry the second key with you?

Dave-k
125cc
125cc

Post by Dave-k » Sat May 27, 2017 2:55 am

It resets itself sometimes, other times it's fine when you restart the bike. It's so common now I hardly think of it. I've tried holding the key over the sensor when riding and that doesn't even clear the fault. I was expecting ktm to offer a software update soon to fix it.

I think I read that Kev replaced the battery but that had no effect for him so I've done jacky jar.

yohammer
250cc
250cc
City: utrecht
Year: 2014

Post by yohammer » Sat May 27, 2017 4:48 pm

No problems here in Holland with the key,only thing I left the key already two times in my buddy seat lock when I was driving.Forgot to take it out and the bike starts normal when it in there.
Last edited by yohammer on Sun May 28, 2017 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

megalord
500cc
500cc

Post by megalord » Sun May 28, 2017 8:56 pm

Rode all day today and never happened again.

Freude am Fahren
500cc
500cc
City: Miami
Year: 2016
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by Freude am Fahren » Sun May 28, 2017 10:03 pm

yohammer wrote:No problems here in Holland with the key,only thing I left the key already two times in my buddy seat lock when I was driving.Forgot to take it out and the bike starts normal when it in there.
Yeah, I can see that happening a bit. They probably should have had some kind of sensor in the seat lock to prevent starting.

JJM
500cc
500cc
City: Higganum

Post by JJM » Mon May 29, 2017 12:25 am

With all the random chatter about the "warning no key detected" issue, I was worried about it. Sure enough it happened to me at about the 175 mile mark on my odometer. I kept pressing "set" and it would go away only to reappear again randomly. But I'm pretty sure even if it went away by pressing "set", the orange triangle "warning" light stayed on.

And then it didn't happen again on my third run this afternoon (I'm close to 300 miles now). I'm sure it didn't happen again. Not a good feeling with random electronics issues that aren't consistent.

Hopefully it won't keep appearing. But if it does I'm going to make sure that KTM is well aware of it. They're not going to get let off the hook with a bike this expensive and technical.

kevxtx
City: Brisbane

Post by kevxtx » Mon May 29, 2017 9:03 am

Keys rematched, new battery fitted, New key ordered & waiting been 7 weeks now for the problem to be fixed, has been happening since day one.

JJM
500cc
500cc

Post by JJM » Mon May 29, 2017 6:16 pm

kevxtx wrote:Keys rematched, new battery fitted, New key ordered & waiting been 7 weeks now for the problem to be fixed, has been happening since day one.

I'm glad that you are documenting your KTM warranty experience from the beginning. You have been waiting for seven weeks for a new key to arrive!? If so, that is ridiculous. I hope that once it comes in that everything will be rectified. Was KTM proactive on working with you to solve this issue or was it like pulling teeth to get them to respond?

I would hope that once the problem is fixed and there are no more "keyless" issues that KTM will issue a recall to fix all of the bikes out there whether they are experiencing issues or not (yet). It would be hard to convince me that KTM didn't know about this problem to begin with; after all many of the "keyless" issues seem to be happening almost immediately after the new 017 SDR's spawned from their shipping crates. They HAD to have known all along - I just don't understand why they don't have a "fix" for it ready to go and instead are making you try a bunch of different things to solve your issue. I hope it's not a deeper issue and they are waltzing around to avoid something a bit more sinister.

These bikes are so incredibly high tech that it makes me nervous to see this happen already. I hope it isn't a prelude of things to come.

Thanks Kevxtx and please keep us updated on if the steps that you are taking solves this issue permanently. It looks like you are the pioneer for this gremlin.

jjm

kevxtx
City: Brisbane

Post by kevxtx » Mon May 29, 2017 9:08 pm

Been waiting 5 weeks for the Key, KTM Australia have been working with the dealer from day one, I would have swapped out the reader coil first before ordering a key but that is just me, we will see if the new key will work, no mods have been done to the bike until the key is fixed as we don't want any fingers pointed saying well you fitted a PCV & ignition module so it's that what is causing the key faults with interference.

Nothing worse than a brand new bike with faults & are worried will it start next time the key is cycled which it was doing when first picked up or let you down when you out riding not reading the key.

Keyless vehicles have been around for a long time now you would have thought they could get it right.

JJM
500cc
500cc

Post by JJM » Tue May 30, 2017 5:06 pm

kevxtx wrote:Been waiting 5 weeks for the Key, KTM Australia have been working with the dealer from day one, I would have swapped out the reader coil first before ordering a key but that is just me, we will see if the new key will work, no mods have been done to the bike until the key is fixed as we don't want any fingers pointed saying well you fitted a PCV & ignition module so it's that what is causing the key faults with interference.

Nothing worse than a brand new bike with faults & are worried will it start next time the key is cycled which it was doing when first picked up or let you down when you out riding not reading the key.

Keyless vehicles have been around for a long time now you would have thought they could get it right.
Very encouraging to know that KTM Australia and your local dealer have been keeping your best interest in-mind from the "keyless Iggy" issue get-go! Smart move to keep things clean on the bike until things are resolved. As a totally clueless bike mechanical moron, it does make sense to me that the reader coil would have been a good place to go after the keyless battery was replaced - but I suppose all you can do is suggest but ultimately KTM's protocol needs to be followed. The reader coil or it's connection points does seem to be the most logical place to poke around - particularly because of it being an intermittent "bug".

I agree that brand new bike faults are not fun at all, and having the worry in the back of your mind as to whether or not the issue is going to leave you stranded somewhere doesn't give you the warm-fuzzies either.

Yup, it's not like keyless ignitions are new technology any longer - as a layman, that is why I worry that it might be some sort of a deeper "connection" or "cpu/board" issue rather than a simple plug n' play hardware bit.

Thanks again, Kevxtx

Dave-k
125cc
125cc

Post by Dave-k » Wed May 31, 2017 6:31 am

Can also confirm that replacement of the fob battery did nothing to fix the issue. I had the fault code come up with in 1km of starting. Will raise the issue with my dealer too.

Adoligy69
250cc
250cc

Post by Adoligy69 » Wed May 31, 2017 9:46 am

Dave-k wrote:Can also confirm that replacement of the fob battery did nothing to fix the issue. I had the fault code come up with in 1km of starting. Will raise the issue with my dealer too.
I was wondering if certain frequencies set them off ...a certain servo alarm system ect ..i have noticed mine has done it at the same point pretty well a couple of times ...something to keep an eye on maybe ??
Ado

bomassen
50cc
50cc
City: Kennedale

Post by bomassen » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:21 pm

I just got my US model 2017 Super Duke. At 80 miles, I got the FOB warning. My FOB wont work unless its within about 1 foot from the front of the tank. New battery didn't help either. My dash goes into warning mode 1-2 time over the course of a 20-30mi ride.

KTM is going to order me a new FOB, but that doesn't sound like the fix...

JJM
500cc
500cc

Post by JJM » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:29 pm

bomassen wrote:I just got my US model 2017 Super Duke. At 80 miles, I got the FOB warning. My FOB wont work unless its within about 1 foot from the front of the tank. New battery didn't help either. My dash goes into warning mode 1-2 time over the course of a 20-30mi ride.

KTM is going to order me a new FOB, but that doesn't sound like the fix...

I hope the new FOB fixes the issue, but based on what is being talked about I doubt that it will.

Something seems to be perpetually wrong with the 2017 SDR's keyless system and it seems to happen almost immediately after taking delivery. How could KTM corporate not know about this matter, and why haven't they issued a recall/fix yet?

I can't complain too much because it only happened on mine once, but I'd be a fool to think that the problem has gone away permanently.

Kevxtx is having the same issue (as you can see in this forum string), if anyone can get to the bottom of this and its' root cause it will be him.

Good luck and keep us up to speed on your end too. Thanks

Rockbyter
125cc
125cc
City: Durham
Model: Adventure

Post by Rockbyter » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:51 pm

Not the same issue, but a question regarding the Keyless system. Is it the same as the BMW one? i.e. if you start it then drive off leaving the key behind does it keep running until you get to your destination and turn it off only to find you cannot restart it? Or does the dash warning pop up to let you know you have not put it in your pocket.

Thanks.