KiT
500cc
500cc
City: Denver
Year: 2016
Colour: Black

Clutch problem

Post by KiT » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:00 pm

I've got a brand new SDR that I had the dealer install a 16t sprocket on before it was even ridden. No idea if they may have let some air in somewhere.

On my first ride I noticed it very difficult to find neutral and it needed quite a bit of gas to keep it from stalling. I bled the clutch and seemed like there was quite a bit of air in the line but haven't ridden becuase I don't want to stress the gearbox, because it feel like it's not fully engaging (or is it disengage?) when I pull the lever in.

Gimlet
900cc
900cc
City: Dorset
Year: 2010

Re: Clutch problem

Post by Gimlet » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:51 pm

Let the dealer look at it. Could need bleeding. Could have a dodgy clutch slave. They are prone to it. Mine had a new one under warranty.
It its got air in the system it should have a lever that feels spongy or has too much slack at the start of the travel.

If the lever feels firm but the clutch isn't fully disengaging there could be something else wrong with the slave or the rod.
Take it back to them and let them sort it out. That's what warranties are for.

NiteKreeper
900cc
900cc
City: Sydney

Post by NiteKreeper » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:18 pm

Gimlet wrote:Let the dealer look at it...Take it back to them and let them sort it out. That's what warranties are for.
This is the correct answer; it sucks, but this isn't something you need to be fixing...

KiT
500cc
500cc

Post by KiT » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:38 pm

There was a lot of slack at the beginning of the travel (felt almost like a cable clutch), I know that, I'll check it when I get home to see if it went away and it did feel spongy from what I remember. If bleeding it didn't help are there any quick fixes like trying to bleed the master?

I won't mess with it for long before taking it in but if it's something simple I'd rather try it myself before giving it to the dealer for a month + getting it there and back.

Gimlet
900cc
900cc

Post by Gimlet » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:32 pm

If you insist, try reverse bleeding from the slave back up to the reservoir. If you can get a firm lever and it gradually slackens again but very slowly, that's almost certainly the slave. That's what mine did. A miniscule leak at the back of the slave which drew a tiny amount of air into the system on each lever pull without measurably dropping the fluid level.

My dealer bled the system twice before trying a new slave O ring then finally fitted a new slave which has been fine ever since. Others put a new slave on straight away.

KiT
500cc
500cc

Post by KiT » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:30 am

Another thing I keep hearing about using is mineral oil. Why does it day DOT 4 or 5 brake fluid on the cap?

NiteKreeper
900cc
900cc
City: Sydney

Post by NiteKreeper » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:51 am

KiT wrote:Another thing I keep hearing about using is mineral oil. Why does it day DOT 4 or 5 brake fluid on the cap?
Wait.
Where are you putting mineral oil, exactly?

Gimlet
900cc
900cc

Post by Gimlet » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:42 am

KiT wrote:Another thing I keep hearing about using is mineral oil. Why does it day DOT 4 or 5 brake fluid on the cap?
Because that's what you're supposed to use. KTM stopped using mineral oil a couple of years ago and switched to dot hydrualic fluid. My SMT uses mineral oil but the Superduke uses dot 4. Don't mix the two.

That's another good reason to let the dealer sort it out. If they burn your paintwork with hydraulic fluid, they will replace it. If you do it you're stuck with the damage.

KiT
500cc
500cc

Post by KiT » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:31 pm

NiteKreeper wrote:
Wait.
Where are you putting mineral oil, exactly?
In the clutch line

http://www.ktmforums.com/forums/rc8-rc8 ... fluid.html

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/w ... id.517297/

It doesn't matter anyway I fixed it myself with DOT 4, there was a bunch of air in the line most likely because the dealer screwed up the slave when they installed the 16t. I don't really feel comfortable letting a dealer fix it unless I have to, they're the ones that screwed it up in the first place.

Thanks for the ideas guys, What a joy to ride now!

Gary
675cc
675cc
City: Atlanta
Year: 2015

Re: RE: Re: Clutch problem

Post by Gary » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:22 am

Gimlet wrote:
Because that's what you're supposed to use. KTM stopped using mineral oil a couple of years ago and switched to dot hydrualic fluid. My SMT uses mineral oil but the Superduke uses dot 4. Don't mix the two.

That's another good reason to let the dealer sort it out. If they burn your paintwork with hydraulic fluid, they will replace it. If you do it you're stuck with the damage.
They switched in 2016. My 2015 SDR uses mineral oil for the clutch.