Warning: Verify clutch fluid replacement is appropriate!

Bootworks
Supporter
Supporter
City: Livermore California
Year: 2014

Warning: Verify clutch fluid replacement is appropriate!

Post by Bootworks » Sat May 28, 2016 2:04 am

First, I'd like to say I "own" the problem and I'm not going to name anyone or bash a technician for an honest mistake. Typically I'd verify everything after having anyone touch my bike: It's my ass, the only one I have and, although it ain't pretty I'd like to keep it in one piece.

A few months ago I had an independent shop I like and trust install an 'Oberon' clutch slave (I provided.) We discussed the fluid (mine is an earlier 2014 using mineral oil, KTM switched to hydraulic fluid later on.)

On a recent trip I noticed my clutch slipping at higher speeds under load (something unrelated to the issue here) and brought my bike early (at 12.6K) to my dealer for a 'major' and to correct the clutch slip. Since we're going to have everything apart, I'm having them install a new clutch pack with additional spring shims.

I got a call yesterday from the service writer at the dealership to express concern over the fluid separation they noticed on the clutch reservoir. I asked them to flush and replace, something they intended to do without my asking.

A second call informed me that the Master was shot. An OEM replacement lists in the $450 range, but they could order a rebuild kit for ~$85. Of course, the bike will be INOP until parts are received and the rebuild is done. KTM is shipping most everything 2-day by now, won't be long. KUDOS to CalMoto Livermore (Alex) for their due diligence and honesty, and to KTM for having an expedited parts delivery system!

For my fellow 1290 SMr owners: Double check to be sure anyone touching your bike installs the clutch fluid appropriate to your particular bike! There has been a change by KTM and the two are NOT compatible!

DukeNukem
Supporter
Supporter
City: Cork
Year: 2015

Re: Warning: Verify clutch fluid replacement is appropriate!

Post by DukeNukem » Sat May 28, 2016 8:30 am

I used hydraulic fluid 75 as per the workshop manual

Al SDR
250cc
250cc
City: Durango, Colorado
Year: 2016

Post by Al SDR » Mon May 30, 2016 9:53 pm

I have a 2015 SDR and it calls for hydraulic fluid 75. I think it would be better if they called it hydraulic OIL 75. Too easy to confuse with brake fluid. The reservoir on the master and the clutch slave say OIL.

Bootworks
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Bootworks » Mon May 30, 2016 10:42 pm

I've replaced the caps with the KTM metal ones, a sharp tech may link the VIN number to the correct fluid. Best to specify and verify, this one item has "mistake" written all over it.

Plake
125cc
125cc
City: Brighton
Colour: Black

Post by Plake » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:43 pm

Long and sad story but, yeah, I ended up filling my 2016 SDR clutch with mineral oil when it needs DOT 4 or 5.1 brake fluid after rebuilding the slave (now replaced with an Oberon which is great.)

The seals swelled up to like 4x their normal size, required full master seal change and rebuild. Mental that KTM would change from oil to dot fluid mid production run on an otherwise unchanged model.

Newjerseyduke
675cc
675cc
City: Riverdale , NJ

Post by Newjerseyduke » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:16 pm

So , '14 - mineral oil
'15 - mineral oil
'16 - hydraulic fluid

Is the clutch master on the '16s still made by magura?
2015 SDR 1290

Plake
125cc
125cc
City: Brighton
Colour: Black

Post by Plake » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:08 pm

Newjerseyduke wrote:So , '14 - mineral oil
'15 - mineral oil
'16 - hydraulic fluid

Is the clutch master on the '16s still made by magura?
Yeah, looks identical. It's just the internal seals that are different I think. And the writing on the reservoir cap.

Newjerseyduke
675cc
675cc
City: Riverdale , NJ

Post by Newjerseyduke » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:05 pm

Interesting. Wonder why they switched.
2015 SDR 1290

Bootworks
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Bootworks » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:10 pm

I suspect Magura had something to do with it, based on stats and logistics. Personally I'd rather stay with the mineral oil, DOT 4 is nasty to painted surfaces and it attracts moisture, so it needs all the more attention.

But, if I had to deal with manufacturing realities, I'd much rather have one universal system (DOT 4) than two separate ones.

Rmarti
125cc
125cc
City: Sunderland

Post by Rmarti » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:10 pm

I had the same problem with my 2015 that i bought im the second owner. First time i realised i had a problem was taking the clutch filler cap of and rubber diaphram popped out as it was three times its size. Had to buy a new reservoir and replace all the fluid with magurs blood.weeks later found i was losing fluid and found the problem to be the slave cylinder seals were going the same as the diaphram so bought a Oberon one to replace it and more magurs blood £12.70 for a 100mls bloody steep price that stuff but all sorted and a lot smoother and lighter on the gear changes.

muckweed
125cc
125cc
City: Glos
Year: 2017
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by muckweed » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:48 pm

My 17 SD seems to have suffered from this. I bought it from a dealer who told me it was previously owned by a KTM manager/bigwig. I to noticed the reservoir diaphragm had swollen up. Took it to my local dealer (not the one I bought the bike from) and they have warrantied reservoir, M/S rebuild kit and clutch slave complete. Apart from a 2 week wait to get it fixed or do it myself I can’t complain. The KTM mechanic said that the fluid in my bike be the wrong type. Well I haven’t touched it and the previous owner I would like to think would have had a proper mechanic service his bike. All very strange 🤨