Flapjack
250cc
250cc
City: Colorado Springs
Year: 2015
Colour: Black & Orange

Chattering on Decel

Post by Flapjack » Sun May 15, 2016 11:20 pm

I've searched the forum and found a variety of things that can make noise on our bikes (eg: main chain, timing chain, etc), but my gut tells me my noise is something in the throttle body... and it's getting worse.

My SDR is a 2015, bought towards the end of the season last year. I live just outside Colorado Springs, at a relatively high elevation compared to most (7300ft). I just hit 1000 miles on the bike. Other than a failing horn and noisy brakes, the bike has not yet been into the dealer. I did not RTFM, and the dealer told me "1000 miles". After finally reading the manual, it looks like it should've actually been in at 1000 KM and not miles (620 miles). Doh.

At any rate, the noise happens at higher speeds (not detectable at 25mph or lower) under deceleration. If I pull in the clutch, the noise goes away. It seems absolutely tied to closed throttle/high vacuum.

The best way to describe the noise is that it sounds like a very loud rattlesnake. Some may describe it as chattery, but it doesn't really have a slapping sound to it. It sounds like it's coming from the front of the bike, around the headlight, but it is hard to tell... as others have attested to. In my mind, I picture a throttle body blade that should be slightly open, but is loose, so it flutters. I have no idea really, lol. I just know it's getting worse.

The bike will be going into the dealership next weekend for its first service. I wanted to get your guys' collective opinions, as I'm fully expecting the runaround from the dealership.

Flapjack
250cc
250cc

Re: Chattering on Decel

Post by Flapjack » Mon May 23, 2016 10:11 pm

Bump. Anyone?

mrossk
500cc
500cc
City: santa fe

Post by mrossk » Tue May 24, 2016 12:05 am

I've got a rattle-y, plastic-y rattle from my headlight/dash area. Have had it a while, hasn't gotten any worse, and I assume it's just the instrument cluster or something similar. I have imagined that it was something like steering head bearings, or loose triple tree clamps, but I'm pretty sure that's paranoia. Sorry that doesn't help. Let the dealer take a look.

unicycle
125cc
125cc
City: Milwaukie, Oregon

Post by unicycle » Tue May 24, 2016 1:48 am

Have you checked the drive chain for proper tension? I once had a newer rider who bought a Ninja 250 tell me he was convinced his bike was about to blow up do to a very loud rattle. Turns out his drive chain was so loose it was on the verge of coming off the sprocket. I asked when was the last time you adjusted your chain. He gave me that "huh?" Look.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

unicycle
125cc
125cc

Post by unicycle » Tue May 24, 2016 1:54 am

Mrossk makes a good point on the steering head bearings. Mine was 3/4 of a turn too loose. You could hear and feel a rattle when coming to a stop....or doing wheelies.

Flapjack
250cc
250cc

Post by Flapjack » Tue May 24, 2016 5:29 am

Good things to check. I lube the chain regularly, and have not noticed it being any looser than normal. Also, this has been happening since I bought the bike. I have just over 1000 miles on it.

I guess I'll just get it to the dealer ASAP and have them check it out while they're servicing it. I'll make sure to post an update if they find anything.

Flapjack
250cc
250cc

Post by Flapjack » Tue May 24, 2016 5:30 am

mrossk wrote:I've got a rattle-y, plastic-y rattle from my headlight/dash area. Have had it a while, hasn't gotten any worse, and I assume it's just the instrument cluster or something similar. I have imagined that it was something like steering head bearings, or loose triple tree clamps, but I'm pretty sure that's paranoia. Sorry that doesn't help. Let the dealer take a look.
Is it all the time, or only at fast speeds under deceleration (like in my case)?

DukeNukem
Supporter
Supporter
City: Cork

Post by DukeNukem » Wed May 25, 2016 12:18 am

unicycle wrote:Mrossk makes a good point on the steering head bearings. Mine was 3/4 of a turn too loose. You could hear and feel a rattle when coming to a stop....or doing wheelies.

What was too loose exactly?The top triple clamp 27mm nut?

unicycle
125cc
125cc

Post by unicycle » Wed May 25, 2016 12:32 am

I'm assuming that the Duke is like most bikes and that it is a nut underneath the top triple clamps. To tighten it you use one of the spanner wrenches in your bikes tool kit.

Hitman
125cc
125cc
City: Melbourne
Year: 2014

Post by Hitman » Wed May 25, 2016 12:17 pm

Head stem "bolt" has been a minor annoyance - tightened three times now - issue seems to be resolved - but can't say I have the development noise mentioned - sorry bud.
Life is short.... no one is irreplaceable....everyone is disposable..... work hard....enjoy life.....

Flapjack
250cc
250cc

Post by Flapjack » Wed May 25, 2016 4:35 pm

Hitman wrote:Head stem "bolt" has been a minor annoyance - tightened three times now - issue seems to be resolved - but can't say I have the development noise mentioned - sorry bud.
Did it not make any noise, or just a different type of noise than what I'm describing?

I dropped off the Duke (as well as my YZ450F) for maintenance. I told them of the noise, but without a helmet, they couldn't take it up to speed to replicate it. I will call and specifically ask them to check that nut.

Daniro
250cc
250cc
City: Dubai
Year: 2016
Colour: Black

Post by Daniro » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:20 pm

Hey guys, I have similar problem with my 2015 SD 1290R. I got it like a week ago form the dealer, did a bit less than 500 km and noticed that around 400 km it started rattling on deceleration/engine braking. At first I thought it was a loose chain since the noise seemed to come from front sprocket and it was barely noticeable in the beginning (mostly from decelerating from 6000 to 4000 rpm) but now it got louder and it can be heard through almost the whole rev range and exclusively on when i get off the throttle, coming from the front cylinder/transmission not sure where exactly. I checked the chain tension, it is fine, within the marks given by factory, and now knowing about faulty oil filters I'm freaking out that some more serious issue is present. Will take the bike tomorrow to the dealer tomorrow morning to see what they will say, but some of the guys that I know already told me they don't do such a good job so I wanned to check here as well. Any opinion or advice is very welcome.
Thanks
KTM all the way! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Flapjack
250cc
250cc

Post by Flapjack » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:35 pm

Sorry for not updating the thread. The dealer couldn't find anything, but the chattering is mostly better. I'm 99.9% certain it was the chain.

Stark
Supporter
Supporter
City: sydney

Post by Stark » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:04 pm

Flapjack wrote:Sorry for not updating the thread. The dealer couldn't find anything, but the chattering is mostly better. I'm 99.9% certain it was the chain.
I'm surprised you could hear the chain at all over the decel of that 1301cc engine. Wonder what the chain was doing to cause such a racket ?

Silent singer
Supporter
Supporter
City: Norfolk

Post by Silent singer » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:16 pm

Exactly the same thing I had when riding the bike home for the first time. I was convinced the timing chain was loose but it turned out to be the final drive chain clattering and the sound was somehow getting reflected so I thought it was engine noise.

Daniro
250cc
250cc

Post by Daniro » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:54 pm

I checked my final drive chain before taking the bike back to the dealer, it was within factory recommended slack. Guys from the workshop will let me know tomorrow what was the issue so I'll post it here.

Flapjack
250cc
250cc

Post by Flapjack » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:25 am

Well, it's pretty loud. I can still hear it slightly, but they tightened it, so it's nowhere near as bad. I'm wondering if there is not a clearance that is just a bit too tight, where even normal chain movement can cause some noise.

steve59
675cc
675cc
City: chicago
Year: 2010

Post by steve59 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:33 am

My speed triple made the worst squeal when moving and was directly affected by rpm's, turned out to be "crickets" the intake sound the 1050 triple made many owners loved it but it made my ears bleed.
Enjoy

Flapjack
250cc
250cc

Post by Flapjack » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:38 am

Yeah, not sure I could stand that sound. I've heard a lot of people complain about it....

Daniro
250cc
250cc

Post by Daniro » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:36 pm

Got my bike from the dealer today, they say they could not find any problems with it. I was there when they opened cylinder head, it looked clean as hell, no metal flakes in the oil, nothing. Manager of the service center is amateur racer, he test rode it and said that he couldn't hear the rattle. After putting the bike back together, chatter is less noticeable, but still there. I'l order k&n oil filter and change it after 1000 km service. No specific answer to the problem here either, maybe we figure out soon what is the cause and is it serious or not.