owl
250cc
250cc
City: Canterbury
Year: 2016
Colour: White

Front brake issue

Post by owl » Sun May 08, 2016 2:02 pm

I'm new to KTM's, and have just spent the weekend running the thing in.

The front brake has a bad judder, especially when braking hard. On my other bikes I would have thought I had a warped disc, or even very worn pads.

I've not seen another topic on this - surely this cannot be the norm on a SDR?

Bootworks
Supporter
Supporter
City: Livermore California
Year: 2014

Re: Front brake issue

Post by Bootworks » Sun May 08, 2016 3:33 pm

I few of us have had stock rotor issues, mine was most obvious at parking-lot speeds. My dealer replaced them under warranty, although it took a bit of persuasion on the dealers part because manufacturers look at rotors as consumables.

owl
250cc
250cc

Post by owl » Sun May 08, 2016 6:48 pm

Thanks for that.

Consumables? Not at 600 bloody miles its not :-)

Bootworks
Supporter
Supporter
City: Livermore California

Post by Bootworks » Mon May 09, 2016 3:54 pm

Precisely what I said. Except I used a bit stronger language than 'bloody'.

owl
250cc
250cc

Post by owl » Mon May 09, 2016 7:16 pm

Ha! We will see what the dealers say on Friday when it goes in for the 1st service.

owl
250cc
250cc

Post by owl » Fri May 13, 2016 1:19 pm

Update: I had the first service done this morning, and mentioned the judder to the dealer. They measured the discs (SE model with wavy discs) and found that they were slightly warped, and have ordered a new set under warranty with no argument.

owl
250cc
250cc

Post by owl » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:34 pm

Update: I had the wavy disc rotors changed today, and they fitted new brake pads as well, in case they were damaged.

All brake judder gone and its a much better bike to ride now.

I was very pleased with the dealer & KTM response - there was never any argument or even hesitation to get the job done under warranty.

Gary
675cc
675cc
City: Atlanta
Year: 2015
Colour: Black

Re: RE: Re: Front brake issue

Post by Gary » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:39 pm

Here's what I have:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR7jg0x5n08

Here's another one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQYB4wtW2kQ

I just talked to the service manager at Mountain Motorsports at Conyers, GA, and was told that this is normal. They did not even measure the front rotor run-out, even though I asked them specifically to do so (verbally and in writing.) They even charged me for diagnostic fee, even though I bought the bike brand new from them... Problem stays.
Last edited by Gary on Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Al SDR
250cc
250cc
City: Durango, Colorado

Post by Al SDR » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:23 am

When I got mine, the brakes seemed to work fine (no judder), but pushing it into my garage with the engine off I could hear some scraping. When I put it up on the front stand and spun the wheel there was light scraping. After about 200 mi, I did some maximum braking from about 50 or 60 mph down to about 10 mph. I did this 8 to 10 times and it seems to have helped. These are floating disks and seem to be riveted very tightly. The maximum braking seems to have helped align them. They still scrape lightly at times but have gotten better.

Joe1290
250cc
250cc
City: Palmerston North

Post by Joe1290 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:57 pm

Not sure I buy the "consumables" thing. Rotors wear, but they shouldn't warp with normal use.

I mentioned the noise and low speed pulsing to my dealer at the 15k service back in December. Mentioned it again recently at the 30k service. New rotors fitted last week under warranty at 33k (km).

Had no issue with the dealer.

guzzi4v
Supporter
Supporter
City: Bundaberg
Model: SMT

Post by guzzi4v » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:02 am

I am waiting on new front wheel as we speak. I had my discs replaced under warranty; things improved slightly for a while but the problem was still there. I purchased a set of upgraded Brembo discs that float more easily because I was tired of it. The bolt holes on those discs were indented and had tighter tolerances revealing the problem to be the disc carrier holes in the front wheel being drilled off centre. This was causing the disc to warp when it was tightened onto the wheel.

Another little problem was revealed at the 30,000km service. The camshafts are scuffed requiring new ones. I won't go right into this at the moment until the dealer has done all their investigations and can say what exactly is going on. I'll start a thread when all is clear.

At the moment I have no issue with the behaviour of the dealer and the distributor. They have acted on both these issues. (it did take action from me for them to understand the front disc issue though).

Gimlet
900cc
900cc
City: Dorset
Year: 2010

Re: RE: Re: Front brake issue

Post by Gimlet » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:53 am

Gary wrote:Here's what I have:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR7jg0x5n08

Here's another one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQYB4wtW2kQ

I just talked to the service manager at Mountain Motorsports at Conyers, GA, and was told that this is normal. They did not even measure the front rotor run-out, even though I asked them specifically to do so (verbally and in writing.) They even charged me for diagnostic fee, even though I bought the bike brand new from them... Problem stays.
That's exactly what mine does. The dealer told me they all do that and KTM no longer fix them under warranty. I've lifted the front wheel on a stand and when spun it doesn't bind hard. It still runs reasonably freely and there is no vibration or juddering in use but there is that noise at walking speed and its annoying. I was wondering whether the wavy discs would solve it.

crazyinp
675cc
675cc
City: San Jose

Post by crazyinp » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:31 am

Second video is mine. I got new rotors and pad but that didn't fix the issue. I just learn to leave with it
______
In the Garage:
2015 KTM Superduke 1290R
2013 Ducati Panigale R

readytoslowdown
125cc
125cc
City: east yorks

Post by readytoslowdown » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:27 pm

sorry for any repeat asking, but being on the edge of getting a 1290, I wondered if owl's problem was now sorted, after a few more miles?
And who was the KTM dealer that gave the good service?
Cheers,

owl
250cc
250cc

Post by owl » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:50 pm

New rotors and pads on warranty completely cured the problem.

The dealer was Laguna in Kent - on this occasion the Maidstone branch.

readytoslowdown
125cc
125cc
City: east yorks

Post by readytoslowdown » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:14 pm

Thanks for that owl.
Another successful fact finding mission ticked off.

HDKAWKTM
Supporter
Supporter
City: clemson

Post by HDKAWKTM » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:24 pm

My rotors exhibit the sound of a pad touching a rotor when pushing the bike but I can roll the bike backwards and it goes away and then does not do it going back forward? Its very faint and stops good and no vibration. I know at stop lights and riding forward slowly and tapping the front brake really light I can feel something when it seems the pads are just touching the rotors. Not sure I want to take it in for this? Heck they may make it worse. Since I can live with this hell I don't push it often.
Current Stable: 2015 SDR, 2013 Kawasaki Concours 14, 2011 Harley Ultra Limited "Clemson Tigers NCAA Football National Champs" :mrgreen:

5150 Pops
Supporter
Supporter
City: NORTH CHESTERFIELD

Post by 5150 Pops » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:02 am

guzzi4v wrote:I am waiting on new front wheel as we speak. I had my discs replaced under warranty; things improved slightly for a while but the problem was still there. I purchased a set of upgraded Brembo discs that float more easily because I was tired of it. The bolt holes on those discs were indented and had tighter tolerances revealing the problem to be the disc carrier holes in the front wheel being drilled off centre. This was causing the disc to warp when it was tightened onto the wheel.

Another little problem was revealed at the 30,000km service. The camshafts are scuffed requiring new ones. I won't go right into this at the moment until the dealer has done all their investigations and can say what exactly is going on. I'll start a thread when all is clear.

At the moment I have no issue with the behaviour of the dealer and the distributor. They have acted on both these issues. (it did take action from me for them to understand the front disc issue though).
Have you received your new front wheel yet? If so, is it machined any differently?
Thanks in advance

guzzi4v
Supporter
Supporter
City: Bundaberg
Model: SMT

Post by guzzi4v » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:30 pm

5150 Pops wrote:
guzzi4v wrote:I am waiting on new front wheel as we speak. I had my discs replaced under warranty; things improved slightly for a while but the problem was still there. I purchased a set of upgraded Brembo discs that float more easily because I was tired of it. The bolt holes on those discs were indented and had tighter tolerances revealing the problem to be the disc carrier holes in the front wheel being drilled off centre. This was causing the disc to warp when it was tightened onto the wheel.

Have you received your new front wheel yet? If so, is it machined any differently?
Thanks in advance
I'm away from home and the bike at the moment. The dealer and I talked about exactly this and he was going to call me if there was a problem. As far as I know the new wheel is OK; but I haven't seen it myself.

5150 Pops
Supporter
Supporter
City: NORTH CHESTERFIELD

Post by 5150 Pops » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:23 am

Thanks for the response.
I'd imagine the shipping time would be somewhat similar to your country as to the USA if it came from Austria.

How long did it take for it to arrive, since that last post it's been nearly a month, and like you I bought but not yet received some Brembo HP 5.5mm rotors, but then I saw your post about improper machining and was like.....Faaaaack!