Spiff
Supporter
Supporter
City: Las Vegas
Year: 2017
Colour: Black & Orange

Re: 2017 Keyless issue

Post by Spiff » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:00 pm

Rockbyter wrote:Not the same issue, but a question regarding the Keyless system. Is it the same as the BMW one? i.e. if you start it then drive off leaving the key behind does it keep running until you get to your destination and turn it off only to find you cannot restart it? Or does the dash warning pop up to let you know you have not put it in your pocket.

Thanks.
I believe it will run until you shut it off. Royal Jordanian did a youtube video on the key's range etc.

megalord
500cc
500cc
City: london
Colour: Black

Post by megalord » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:46 pm

Spiff wrote:
Rockbyter wrote:Not the same issue, but a question regarding the Keyless system. Is it the same as the BMW one? i.e. if you start it then drive off leaving the key behind does it keep running until you get to your destination and turn it off only to find you cannot restart it? Or does the dash warning pop up to let you know you have not put it in your pocket.

Thanks.
I believe it will run until you shut it off. Royal Jordanian did a youtube video on the key's range etc.
I think it will say that the key is not in range.

James K
125cc
125cc
City: MAIDSTONE
Colour: White

Post by James K » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:58 am

Hello all
My new 2017 SD r
First time here with bad news.
I've joined the key issue club . Its the first time this has happened and close to 3000 miles.
Before the bike stood for winter it was used often and has had a few issues cutting out,not starting, fuel pump and filter changed after 4 visits to the dealer and all seemed fantastic but the bikes now been standing a month or so, i not use over the winter so when I went to my garage to start, "nothing" except orange lights flashing and I also noticed the 4 way flashers not working either so I thought battery has gone flat. I removed battery to charge and charger says fully charged so put back on the bike and still nothing.
I phoned the KTM dealer, service dept suggest key in the battery I thought OK.
I changed the battery in the key, was the same not reading the key used spare key as instructed in my hand book and it eventually started and I let it run for a while hoping all will be sorted, I turned off, locked steering lock and proceeded to start again, after many many attempts it started but key has to be on the tank, what a pain , great bike being let down by quality issue's. I'm really disappointed with this and KTM when I read on here how many others have the same problem.
I've booked in to my closest dealer in Crawley UK for them to sort but I am not holding my breath that it will be a quick fix by what I have read here.

Has anyone taken this up with KTM direct?
I'm starting to think this might be the next avenue, for a new bike or money back as I am starting to think its not fit for purpose and the next fault might kill me or someone else!!!
Will let you know what happens next....
Last edited by James K on Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Duncs
125cc
125cc
City: Melbourne

Post by Duncs » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:30 am

James K wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:58 am
i turned off locked steering lock and proceeded to start again, after many many tries it started but key has to be on the tank, what a pain
If you’re using the spare, I think it has to be on the tank to start it. You can take it off once its running of course. Only the “main” key can be used while in your pocket (assuming the key battery is ok).

I haven’t tried the spare so this is going from memory of reading the manual.

James K
125cc
125cc

Post by James K » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:05 pm

Hi yes spare key only work when it's placed on the tank
Big key the same and on seat not work at all
Last edited by James K on Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Striff
250cc
250cc
City: Brisbane

Post by Striff » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:07 pm

Same issue with me.
It randomly occurs.
Can be fine for a week and then show up.
New battery, I have 3 fobs, two large ones and the smaller one.
All present the same issue.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Duncs
125cc
125cc
City: Melbourne

Post by Duncs » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:47 pm

Hmm bugger.

James K
125cc
125cc

Post by James K » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:20 am

Hi
That is so not good enough!!!!
I'm getting wound up over this now.
What did the KTM service say?
I wont put up with that, they sell a bike and I want all it all working correctly as it should, and will keep taking back till its sorted.
If still no fix after time or they cant fix then I will contact KTM direct.
If still no joy there, will take them to court, for selling faulty goods and not fit for purpose.
I just hope they fix because when its working its the best bike in the world,
I've had the suspension professionally set up for me, what an improvement, a different animal, done by Perry at HM racing, everyone should do this.
4th January i take bike to get looked at.
will keep u updated............

paul_rathke
50cc
50cc
City: Waxhaw

Post by paul_rathke » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:14 pm

I was seriously bummed when KTM added keyless ignition. My 2011 Multistrada had it and it was a constant problem. I learned to ignore the 'no key' warnings, which was bad. Many times I rode off with the key in the top case lock or on the seat lock. Once I stopped an hour down the road only to find I'd actually lost the key. I didn't have enough fuel to retrace my route, and did not have the key to open the tank. A friend rode the route back and found my key under where my bike had been parked at the hotel. I had dropped it, but was able to start the bike because it was under the bike. After that experience I always carried a spare key.

With the Multistrada, I found that streaming audio over Bluetooth from my iPhone to my Sena headset always caused the key fault. But other random RF interference from automatic doors and other sources caused it too.

Keyless ignition on a motorcycle is a dumb idea. It's over complicated, and adds no value. I wish all bike manufacturers would stop adding this "feature".

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

James K
125cc
125cc

Post by James K » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:36 pm

Hi,
Well I took my Super duke r 17 to the KTM service to have the no start issue sorted unless the key was on the front top of the tank.
Previously I changed the battery in the key and put a Panasonic CR 2032 that was in it from new 10 months.
No joy still the same problem.

Arrived at KTM dealer we chatted and they said I think i know what is wrong.
They changed the battery in the key with a DURACELL CR2032.
I would have put money on it still not working.

It started 1st time with key in my pocket, amazing......................
I took the bike home started again, alls well.
Lets see how long it lasts, hopefully this is a real fix because i love the bike..

paul65
Supporter
Supporter
City: leeds

Post by paul65 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:34 pm

James K wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:36 pm
Hi,
Well I took my Super duke r 17 to the KTM service to have the no start issue sorted unless the key was on the front top of the tank.
Previously I changed the battery in the key and put a Panasonic CR 2032 that was in it from new 10 months.
No joy still the same problem.

Arrived at KTM dealer we chatted and they said I think i know what is wrong.
They changed the battery in the key with a DURACELL CR2032.
I would have put money on it still not working.

It started 1st time with key in my pocket, amazing......................
I took the bike home started again, alls well.
Lets see how long it lasts, hopefully this is a real fix because i love the bike..
fingers crossed its fixed i would have thought the battery would be the same as numbers match ???

James K
125cc
125cc

Post by James K » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:59 am

hi battery cr2032 Panasonic not work ????/ not know why
cr 2032 Duracell worked really i would have lost a bet on that working but it did................

Striff
250cc
250cc

Post by Striff » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:07 pm

Interesting.
Got my bike back from fuel pump recall and issue error code, when they diagnosed it previously.

Turned out issue when loading Akrapovic map, and needed KTM's assistance.

but since getting it back, no issues with the Keyless start..

I do have the fuel gage giving empty reading until I ride it for a few minutes, and when using the front brakes (and holding it) I can here a strange whirling noise, let go of the brake and it goes away...
So something else for me to monitor.

James K
125cc
125cc

Post by James K » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:23 pm

Well if your key mess about you know what to try, touch wood all is ok now.
Not help my mate says KTM.... Keep Taking Money not help !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mine was ok after fuel pump change, was dangerous a few times when suddenly no power after hard acceleration makes you feel your going over the handle bars

This year I try on track 1st time for ktm

Anthony
125cc
125cc
City: Baltimore

Post by Anthony » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:50 am

Within the first few days of picking up a left over 2017 I hit a few hiccups with the keyless system.

In the middle of a ride it reported the key wasn't in range, even though it was in my pocket. The bike kept running but there was a warning displayed on the screen. It went away after a few minutes and I didn't need to restart it. Hmm, maybe a freak occurance?

The same night I was out and stopped in a neighborhood where you don't want to leave your bike over night. When I went to start it up the key button didn't do anything -- just that blinking orange light on the dash. Pressed it again -- nothing. I may have been able to push the bike home, but the steering is electronically locked! Not a great feeling.

I remembered reading in the manual to place the key directly on the tank if the battery is low. I tried that and fortunately it worked.

I changed the battery in the fob the next day. Yes, the previous battery was a Panasonic, and I did happen to replace it with a Duracell. I haven't had any problems since.

Is the Duracell really better, or was it just a weak OEM battery? Was the battery even the problem in the first place? I don't know but it is working now.

Now I just need to figure out a good way to remember to actually put the key back in my pocket before taking off. After tearing down the highway tonight I parked, only to find the key still hanging out of the the pillion seat lock! It would have sucked if that flew off at speed...

James K
125cc
125cc

Post by James K » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:36 am

I have the same problem with the key, only start with key on tank.

Taken to KTM dealer they said fob battery and must be Duracell , they changed and yes it worked for a week.
I changed fob battery again and yes it worked for a while and needed another Duracell and yes the same again.

So changing fob battery is not a real fix...........

So annoying KTM when are you going to find a proper fix for the unhappy customers world wide or '' DO YOU NOT CARE'' ??

kevxtx
Year: 2014

Post by kevxtx » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:49 am

KTM lost me as a customer because of this keyless issue, 5 months & they could not fix the issue, the bike was sold & I moved on to a different brand after owning 4 new KTM's over 4 years & now looking at motorcycle 52 next month.

michaelnel
Supporter
Supporter
City: Angels Camp, CA
Year: 2016
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by michaelnel » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:00 pm

I doubt the solution is DuraCell batteries. I think the *temporary* solution is to install a fresh battery in the fob, but I bet *any* good quality fresh battery would do the same.

I specifically decided against a '17 when I bought mt '16 SDR specifically because I don't think KTM does a very good job with high tech electronics. The digital display on my '16 is not that great, but it is 100x better than the full digital setup on my '17 Duke 690 which was useless in full sunlight.

Gimlet
900cc
900cc
City: Dorset
Year: 2010

Post by Gimlet » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:54 am

I had the "key not in range" issue when riding a 1290 S demo bike here in the UK. (in fact I've ridden two 1290 S demo bikes, a year apart and it happened on both of them). The dealer said it was probably the battery in the key fob. If so there seems to be ab awful lot of key fobs going out with dud batteries in them.

I didn't dare stop the bike in case it wouldn't start again but as soon as I touch the buttons to scroll through the menu the warning disappeared.

James K
125cc
125cc

Post by James K » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:18 am

I got a reply from KTM today after I contacted them on there website about my issue with key and have asked me to take my bike to a KTM dealer for repair, so will book it in for next week.
They said about changing the bikes battery now, which I hope is the fix. Was your bike battery ever changed?
Also a recall on the bikes front brakes I got a letter yesterday, so get both jobs together.