Bike shuts off at low speed when cold and downshift to 1st

Kcal
250cc
250cc
City: Newark
Year: 2017

Re: Bike shuts off at low speed when cold and downshift to 1st

Post by Kcal » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:51 pm

Turns out pops was right, I'm just a shit rider and don't know how to operate a clutch on these super duper v-twins. I'm too Japanese 4 banger to do it right....

Or it was a bad o ring on the fuel pump starving the bike of fuel.
Getting fixed Tuesday

Anyone else having cold start issues to stumbling idle or shut downs until warmed up on a 17 SDR call your dealer to see if it falls into the range of VINs affected.

5150 Pops
Supporter
Supporter
City: NORTH CHESTERFIELD
Year: 2015
Colour: Black

Post by 5150 Pops » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:35 pm

Dude, give it a rest. I NEVER said, nor even insinuated you had poor riding skills.

However, YOU are all too happy to hurl shit my way, and that's great for you.

I sure am glad they attributed your problem (that did not exist in the first 200 miles) to a bad o-ring, fantastic story!
Good for you!
If that's what made it starve for fuel, but only in a unique circumstance, like off throttle, or light throttle, that DEFINITELY makes all the sense in the world.

I really hope you find happiness, and I bet your dealer will have wanted that for you too. Which is why they most likely are flashing your ECU with the Akrapovic up map. This to be certain the enormously arrogant prick who bitched about his $18,000 bike being junk, will chill out, yet spin him some yarn about a faulty o-ring, because it's the only explanation you'll accept.

Otherwise you may have had to understand/accept the OEM mapping is quite lean on modern high performance v-twins in order to pass ever tightening worldwide emissions.

5150 Pops
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 5150 Pops » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:38 pm

Kcal wrote:Turns out pops was right, I'm just a shit rider and don't know how to operate a clutch on these super duper v-twins. I'm too Japanese 4 banger to do it right....

Or it was a bad o ring on the fuel pump starving the bike of fuel.
Getting fixed Tuesday

Anyone else having cold start issues to stumbling idle or shut downs until warmed up on a 17 SDR call your dealer to see if it falls into the range of VINs affected.
This is enormously funny, that you actually wrote this, it's beyond fantastic!

Kcal
250cc
250cc

Post by Kcal » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:54 am

5150 Pops wrote:Dude, give it a rest. I NEVER said, nor even insinuated you had poor riding skills.

I sure am glad they attributed your problem (that did not exist in the first 200 miles) to a bad o-ring, fantastic story!
Good for you!
If that's what made it starve for fuel, but only in a unique circumstance, like off throttle, or light throttle, that DEFINITELY makes all the sense in the world.

I really hope you find happiness, and I bet your dealer will have wanted that for you too. Which is why they most likely are flashing your ECU with the Akrapovic up map. This to be certain the enormously arrogant prick who bitched about his $18,000 bike being junk, will chill out, yet spin him some yarn about a faulty o-ring, because it's the only explanation you'll accept.
In fact you were the instigator. Anyone can read the thread and see that.

The reality Mr Knowitall is that after the map flash I emailed him that it was not dying off throttle cold and cold starts were stumbling less. He offered the o ring issue after speaking with KTM and describing the issues. I had assumed it was solved already but my vin fell in a range that ktm admitted to faulty o rings.

Maybe I wasn't an enormous arrogant prick to him I suppose so he decided to reach out to his rep and see what he could dig up.

Make sure to get your keyboard bravado all cranked up for the next response even though I've only provided info for the forum.

5150 Pops
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 5150 Pops » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:12 pm

Kcal wrote:
5150 Pops wrote:Dude, give it a rest. I NEVER said, nor even insinuated you had poor riding skills.

Good for you!

In fact you were the instigator. Anyone can read the thread and see that.

The reality Mr Knowitall is that after the map flash I emailed him that it was not dying off throttle cold and cold starts were stumbling less. He offered the o ring issue after speaking with KTM and describing the issues. I had assumed it was solved already but my vin fell in a range that ktm admitted to faulty o rings.

Maybe I wasn't an enormous arrogant prick to him I suppose so he decided to reach out to his rep and see what he could dig up.

Make sure to get your keyboard bravado all cranked up for the next response even though I've only provided info for the forum.
RIGHT!
I did nothing even remotely resembling instigation, UNLIKE YOU.
YOU twisted a very simple reply that YOU came begging for ANY INPUT WELCOME.
Piece of work you are, I simply responded to the limited information you provided, as to a potentially simple solution.
Others also responded with nearly the same solution.(reflash or pc5)

Now out of thin air you mentioned that you have had the ecu flashed (apparently after I and some others mentioned having that done or learn to ride around your bike's light load, low engine speed anemia). Wow, you ask for help, get people involved, then fail to update any changes you've undertaken, and smear basically the only idiot WHO WAS HONESTLY trying to help your helpless ass!!!!

This is a perfect example of people who beg, cry, plead for help, but want to be offended when it's not presented to them almost like entitlement.
YOU are an ungrateful, lying chump!
For the record JACKASS, THAT is my first crack about your character, and this is the second.
Instead of crying, why not LEARN HOW TO READ FOR COMPREHENSION FUCK-TARD!!!!!

mogas64
250cc
250cc
City: Leamington Spa
Year: 2016
Model: SMT

Post by mogas64 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:57 pm

Yes you have to adapt your riding style with a big V Twin , I have found I have to ,having never ridden a V Twin before, they need a bit more patience with them than an inline 4 from Japan .
Current bike, 2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke R SE with private plate Fnarr Fnarr !!!

Fry
Supporter
Supporter
City: Auburn

Post by Fry » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:23 am

I too had to adapt, and I owned a Buell for a few years.

Jap bikes are like sewing machines, Big Vtwins are like an Ar Chisel.

Aussie Dave
900cc
900cc
City: Brisbane

Post by Aussie Dave » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:23 am

Hi from Aus..

I've got a 2017 SD-GT and have never had any stalling issues (9,550kms since Feb017) - the thing starts when I press the button and never stalls when I ride up to the lights with the clutch in - I'm one of those 4 cyl forever converts who bought a high performance V toooo (13.5:1 light flywheel race crank etc etc)....hey where are the emoji's here...oh there they are. :lol:

Super happy with my GT! :D

Anyway, it reads like you have found the 'evil Ethanol gremlin' was the cause of fuel filter blockages 8-) - so that's great! Hope the new parts are E-proof (GT is rated as E10 compatible, but who knows what is really in the tank?).

We of the 'never never' (Aus) don't have sugar cane piss in our petrol, so we haven't had any issue's with our SDGT's.

I hope you will enjoy that magic machine now that issue has been sorted :)..- the best is yet to come ;)
Current delights...1290GT-2017, CBR1100XX-2005

Prev loves...Capo1200TP-014, CBR11xx-002, 2xFZR1000genisis-94, FJ1200-89, FJ1100-84, XS1100P, VF1000F-83, CX500, VF750S, KZ1000J1-81, KZ1000ST-79, CB750F2-77, CB360T-74, CB175.. started it all in 1974 ;)

5150 Pops
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 5150 Pops » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:37 am

Aussie Dave wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:23 am
Hi from Aus..
We of the 'never never' (Aus) don't have sugar cane piss in our petrol, so we haven't had any issue's with our SDGT's.
Ha! We use sugar cane for the good stuff...BOURBON.
Our crap gas gets injected with CORN byproduct.

steve59
675cc
675cc
City: chicago
Year: 2010

Post by steve59 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:40 pm

My 2015 wouldn't stall no matter how lazy I rode it, my 2016 stalls 1/2 the time I pull out from start, it's the fancy levers the 2016se comes with and I can't get used to the release point, that and the really low idle compared to the other bike make it a royal pain to get moving, but that ain't the problem you're describing because you're stalling between gears coming to a stop. I thought pops was grinding a bit also and in my experience every type of motor and drivetrane run best a particular way but if a bike stalls when you pull in the clutch wouldn't bumping the idle a couple hundred rpm be the answer? that was my fix on my old triumphs and harleys. I don't know how to change the idle rpm on a fuel injected bike or I would raise mine.
Enjoy

Kcal
250cc
250cc

Post by Kcal » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:02 am

FINAL UPDATE! PROBLEM SOLVED.

Here’s the result of the problem solving. KTM rep said there was a run of bikes where the assembler putting the rubber grommet on the inlet of the fuel pump was putting them on backwards. It’s a small tube shaped rubber grommet that has a small internal diameter on one side and a larger internal diameter on the other. They were putting the larger ID side on the inlet tube leaving the small ID as a resticting orifice for fuel to go through. They were SUPPOSED to stretch the small ID side over the inlet nipple so that it left the full inlet orifice open for fuel to go through. Essentially factory worker error putting a piece on backwards narrowing fuel flow orifice starving engine of fuel just enough to kill it when cold.

I don’t know how many fuel pumps were assembled wrong but clearly it was enough of them for KTM to identify that it was a systemic error based on a single assembler.

Mines fixed and the stumbling idle was much improved. No more very slight hesitation at throttle opening and Bike feels more powerful. Wish I had dyno numbers to compare them to now because I would be sure there is a difference.

Duncs
125cc
125cc
City: Melbourne
Colour: White

Post by Duncs » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:51 am

That's gotta be a relief!!

Any idea how we find out which bikes were affected?

scrubrunner
Supporter
Supporter
City: Brisbane

Post by scrubrunner » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:51 am

Duncs wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:51 am
That's gotta be a relief!!

Any idea how we find out which bikes were affected?
most likely the ones that stall heaps for no apparent reasons aye, my biggest problem is the sugar cane converted to rum makes the ignition switch move, which causes me to lay down beside the bike & snore for a while till the ignition gets it's shit together & returns to normal placement
sdr makes ANY day above ground a good day

Kcal
250cc
250cc

Post by Kcal » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:33 am

Example of what the grommet looks like. I couldn’t find a pic of it on the fuel pump though. See the smaller diameter would lower fuel passage vs the larger one

McDirty
125cc
125cc
City: Louisville
Year: 2014

Post by McDirty » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:15 pm

I have this issue on occasion. I think its more to due with the clutch switch killing the bike than it is a cold start issue. On my bike it fells less like a stall and more like someone just hit the kill switch.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk