Bike shuts off at low speed when cold and downshift to 1st

Kcal
250cc
250cc
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:59 pm
Country: United States
City: Newark
Year: 2017

Bike shuts off at low speed when cold and downshift to 1st

Post by Kcal » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:16 pm

Brand new 250 mile 1290 R 2017 model that now twice has shut off when riding down my street after cold start and I downshift from 2nd to 1st to stop at sign and proceed. I'm able to get under way after stop sign but then mid turn after clutch is fully released it simply shuts off completely. I pull clutch and restart on the roll and go but am concerned. 1st time I thought I was just an idiot and stalled it but was confused because the clutch was already released. Today it happened again and clearly not my issue.

Any input. I'm reaching out to dealer as well obviously.

Kcal
250cc
250cc
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:59 pm
Country: United States
City: Newark
Year: 2017

Re: Bike shuts off at low speed when cold and downshift to 1st

Post by Kcal » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:44 am

Happening frequently now. Last one was cold start, idle 3-4 minutes then off in 1st about 50 yards and when clutch pulled to stop at stop sign bike immediately shuts off. WTF I'm really irritated I'm having issues like this on a 17k$ bike with 250 miles on it. Not real impressed anymore. Might be the shortest bike ownership in history.

User avatar
Spiff
500cc
500cc
Posts: 154
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:05 pm
Country: United States
City: Las Vegas
Year: 2010

Re: Bike shuts off at low speed when cold and downshift to 1st

Post by Spiff » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:03 am

Crap, start with the dealer.

Stark
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 203
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:05 pm
Country: Australia
City: sydney
Year: 2016
Colour: Black

Re: Bike shuts off at low speed when cold and downshift to 1st

Post by Stark » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:05 am

I too had stalling issues when I first bought the bike. Though it never really felt like I was actually stalling it. Not only did the bike die, but the display would reset too. Always happened in first gear.

Fitted a PCV to the bike and it went away entirely. Haven't stalled the bike since. I'm still not sure what to make of that.

Might want to check your fueling or anything that corresponds to it.

Fry
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 450
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:47 am
Country: United States
City: Auburn
Year: 2017

Re: Bike shuts off at low speed when cold and downshift to 1st

Post by Fry » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:40 pm

Um, I wrote a reply, but it hasn't shown here?

Anyways, when I got my 17 SDR I too had some stalling issues (3-3 times) when coming down from speed to a stop sign or red light. Kinda felt like a moron to be honest, especially with the panicked efforts to hurriedly start it back up, worsened by the fact II was still getting use to the starter buttons and sequence, LOL.

Some had said it was simply due to me being use to the inline 4's and the twins reacting a bit differently, suggesting that I give it a blip or two as I came to the stop instead of just coasting with the clutch in banging the downshifts, coming to a rolling, coasting stop. I started doing that and the stalling went away.

Since removing all of the emissions crap and adding a PCV (Along with other items) I haven't stalled the bike coming to a stop, not sure if my riding style adapted to the bike, or the removal of the emissions and addition of the PCV had anything to do with it, all I know is it has stopped doing it.

Kcal
250cc
250cc
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:59 pm
Country: United States
City: Newark
Year: 2017

Re: Bike shuts off at low speed when cold and downshift to 1st

Post by Kcal » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:17 am

I've also got cold starting issues now. Takes 3-4 presses to get it started and I don't touch the throttle at all so it's not like I'm twisting a bit while pushing.

User avatar
5150 Pops
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 259
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:10 am
Country: USA
City: NORTH CHESTERFIELD
Year: 2015
Colour: Black
Location: USA Virginia

Re: Bike shuts off at low speed when cold and downshift to 1st

Post by 5150 Pops » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:28 am

Kcal wrote:Happening frequently now. Last one was cold start, idle 3-4 minutes then off in 1st about 50 yards and when clutch pulled to stop at stop sign bike immediately shuts off. WTF I'm really irritated I'm having issues like this on a 17k$ bike with 250 miles on it. Not real impressed anymore. Might be the shortest bike ownership in history.
Have you ever ridden a high performance (not H-D, Indian, Victory), high compression, EPA neutered V-TWIN?

Not a slight, but almost everyone who have had immense experience on other V- Twins, Triples, inline 4/6 opposed twins, opposed fours, get on something like our bike, (to ride on the street, usually in a city environment) or RC8/TL-R/RC51/VTR 1000/TL-S/any of the Ducatis -more or less- all suffer from the lack of understanding or desire to believe they themselves could be the problem...it has to be the bike.

My buddy has recently bought a Ducati 1299, and he's slowly coming around to the realization, there are some small nuances necessary to ride these types of bikes in stop and go traffic, or low speed/light engine load situations, while they still have the emissions related fuel mapping, and other hardware.

He's got a Rapidbike module now with a complete header/muffler/collector from Akrapovic, and is amazed how much different the low speed/light engine load riding is now.

So either take care of the lean fuel injection conditions present in your OEM configured bike, ORRRRR learn to compensate for it's small deficiency by adapting to it it's quirks.

User avatar
5150 Pops
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 259
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:10 am
Country: USA
City: NORTH CHESTERFIELD
Year: 2015
Colour: Black
Location: USA Virginia

Re: Bike shuts off at low speed when cold and downshift to 1st

Post by 5150 Pops » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:33 am

My point... IMO there's nothing that bad about how are bikes are setup from the factory, compared to ALL the other similar engine architecture powered bikes in the marketplace since the late eighties.

Kcal
250cc
250cc
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:59 pm
Country: United States
City: Newark
Year: 2017

Re: Bike shuts off at low speed when cold and downshift to 1st

Post by Kcal » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:54 am

5150 Pops wrote:My point... IMO there's nothing that bad about how are bikes are setup from the factory, compared to ALL the other similar engine architecture powered bikes in the marketplace since the late eighties.
So your saying the bike straight up dying with clutch held in both cold and warm and difficulty starting are "normal" issues. It had no issues cold starting the first 200 miles but from 200-500 it's been having difficulty starting, getting to a sustained idle and straight up dying.

I'm sorry but there is no excuse for a 18K$ bike to have these issues. No I have no experience on this engine configuration. Previous bike was HP4 and super high strung I4 and it never stumbled at idle, shut off, had difficulty starting, 1st press fired right up and purred like a kitten.

I don't buy that it's just "quirks" when it didn't do it the first 200 miles however I do buy that the fuel tanks are not cleaned out properly of release agent and gum up the fuel filters and strain fuel flow to engine and ECU sees that situation and shuts off. I do buy that but I don't buy that it's me or my inexperience on a v-twin.

I don't take it as a slight at all so not being argumentative but pragmatically speaking the most obvious answer is likely the correct answer and that's a clogged fuel filter or pump.

User avatar
5150 Pops
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 259
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:10 am
Country: USA
City: NORTH CHESTERFIELD
Year: 2015
Colour: Black
Location: USA Virginia

Re: Bike shuts off at low speed when cold and downshift to 1st

Post by 5150 Pops » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:03 am

Kcal wrote:
5150 Pops wrote:My point... IMO there's nothing that bad about how are bikes are setup from the factory, compared to ALL the other similar engine architecture powered bikes in the marketplace since the late eighties.
So your saying the bike straight up dying with clutch held in both cold and warm and difficulty starting are "normal" issues. It had no issues cold starting the first 200 miles but from 200-500 it's been having difficulty starting, getting to a sustained idle and straight up dying.

I'm sorry but there is no excuse for a 18K$ bike to have these issues. No I have no experience on this engine configuration. Previous bike was HP4 and super high strung I4 and it never stumbled at idle, shut off, had difficulty starting, 1st press fired right up and purred like a kitten.

I don't buy that it's just "quirks" when it didn't do it the first 200 miles however I do buy that the fuel tanks are not cleaned out properly of release agent and gum up the fuel filters and strain fuel flow to engine and ECU sees that situation and shuts off. I do buy that but I don't buy that it's me or my inexperience on a v-twin.

I don't take it as a slight at all so not being argumentative but pragmatically speaking the most obvious answer is likely the correct answer and that's a clogged fuel filter or pump.
LOL, that's some funny shit right there.
If that's what YOU definitively identified as your problem, why did you post on here like you had no clue and there was some mysterious voodoo going on with your bike?

Fry
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 450
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:47 am
Country: United States
City: Auburn
Year: 2017

Re: Bike shuts off at low speed when cold and downshift to 1st

Post by Fry » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:37 am

My 17 ran like complete shit when I got it, mostly due to my tinkering in a un-thought out manner however I too had stalling issues very similar to yours. I had to adapt. Before adding parts that smoothed out the issues I had to blip the throttle coming to stops. I was about ready to bring my bike back for a refund (LOL) it ran that bad, yet I came onto this forum, read a lot, listened a lot and adapted to my bikes needs.

As the bike sits now, with no dealer intervention, its the strongest bike I've ever ridden...It doesn't stall either.

Kcal
250cc
250cc
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:59 pm
Country: United States
City: Newark
Year: 2017

Re: Bike shuts off at low speed when cold and downshift to 1st

Post by Kcal » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:09 pm

5150 Pops wrote:
Kcal wrote:
5150 Pops wrote:My point... IMO there's nothing that bad about how are bikes are setup from the factory, compared to ALL the other similar engine architecture powered bikes in the marketplace since the late eighties.
So your saying the bike straight up dying with clutch held in both cold and warm and difficulty starting are "normal" issues. It had no issues cold starting the first 200 miles but from 200-500 it's been having difficulty starting, getting to a sustained idle and straight up dying.

I'm sorry but there is no excuse for a 18K$ bike to have these issues. No I have no experience on this engine configuration. Previous bike was HP4 and super high strung I4 and it never stumbled at idle, shut off, had difficulty starting, 1st press fired right up and purred like a kitten.

I don't buy that it's just "quirks" when it didn't do it the first 200 miles however I do buy that the fuel tanks are not cleaned out properly of release agent and gum up the fuel filters and strain fuel flow to engine and ECU sees that situation and shuts off. I do buy that but I don't buy that it's me or my inexperience on a v-twin.

I don't take it as a slight at all so not being argumentative but pragmatically speaking the most obvious answer is likely the correct answer and that's a clogged fuel filter or pump.
LOL, that's some funny shit right there.
If that's what YOU definitively identified as your problem, why did you post on here like you had no clue and there was some mysterious voodoo going on with your bike?
No it's still mysterious voodoo which I believe was the exact words I used

No the fuel filter issue was suggested in another thread but great job adding intelligent commentary on this thread. I think it's really enlightened us shittier riders. Kudos

User avatar
5150 Pops
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 259
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:10 am
Country: USA
City: NORTH CHESTERFIELD
Year: 2015
Colour: Black
Location: USA Virginia

Re: Bike shuts off at low speed when cold and downshift to 1st

Post by 5150 Pops » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:11 am

Kcal wrote:Brand new 250 mile 1290 R 2017 model that now twice has shut off when riding down my street after cold start and I downshift from 2nd to 1st to stop at sign and proceed. I'm able to get under way after stop sign but then mid turn after clutch is fully released it simply shuts off completely. I pull clutch and restart on the roll and go but am concerned. 1st time I thought I was just an idiot and stalled it but was confused because the clutch was already released. Today it happened again and clearly not my issue.

Any input. I'm reaching out to dealer as well obviously.
If you're going to act butt hurt, you shouldn't have put the above in your original post.
You want any input or any input that doesn't potentially involve you having any culpability to your bike's problem? rhetorical question.

I don't remember reading anyone's post for a 2015+ model year having the issue with the tank.

You're letting your ego invade your rational thinking, once you lose the chip on your shoulder and allow yourself to read words without it becoming personal, maybe you'll find what you are looking for, obviously you can't at this point in time.

User avatar
5150 Pops
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 259
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:10 am
Country: USA
City: NORTH CHESTERFIELD
Year: 2015
Colour: Black
Location: USA Virginia

Re: Bike shuts off at low speed when cold and downshift to 1st

Post by 5150 Pops » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:14 am

Kcal wrote:
5150 Pops wrote:
Kcal wrote: So your saying the bike straight up dying with clutch held in both cold and warm and difficulty starting are "normal" issues. It had no issues cold starting the first 200 miles but from 200-500 it's been having difficulty starting, getting to a sustained idle and straight up dying.

I'm sorry but there is no excuse for a 18K$ bike to have these issues. No I have no experience on this engine configuration. Previous bike was HP4 and super high strung I4 and it never stumbled at idle, shut off, had difficulty starting, 1st press fired right up and purred like a kitten.

I don't buy that it's just "quirks" when it didn't do it the first 200 miles however I do buy that the fuel tanks are not cleaned out properly of release agent and gum up the fuel filters and strain fuel flow to engine and ECU sees that situation and shuts off. I do buy that but I don't buy that it's me or my inexperience on a v-twin.

I don't take it as a slight at all so not being argumentative but pragmatically speaking the most obvious answer is likely the correct answer and that's a clogged fuel filter or pump.
LOL, that's some funny shit right there.
If that's what YOU definitively identified as your problem, why did you post on here like you had no clue and there was some mysterious voodoo going on with your bike?
No it's still mysterious voodoo which I believe was the exact words I used

No the fuel filter issue was suggested in another thread but great job adding intelligent commentary on this thread. I think it's really enlightened us shittier riders. Kudos
AND.....you're very welcome.

Duncs
125cc
125cc
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:47 pm
Country: Australia
City: Melbourne
Year: 2017
Colour: White

Re: Bike shuts off at low speed when cold and downshift to 1st

Post by Duncs » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:35 am

I've owned two V-twins before (VTR1000s - so carby models with some known fueling issues) and they never stalled on slowing to a normal stop. A bike like the SDR which is injected and chock-a-block with engine management electickery shouldn't be stalling simply because you're not holding your mouth right...

crazyinp
500cc
500cc
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:00 am
Country: USA
City: San Jose
Year: 2015

Re: Bike shuts off at low speed when cold and downshift to 1st

Post by crazyinp » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:02 am

It is not uncommon for big v-twin to stall time to time. Definitely not something that you should be able to reproduce every time. You seems to have serious issue. I have owned and current own 2x v-twins and once on a while will stall at the traffic light for no reason. But like I said that is 1-2times a year thing.
______
In the Garage:
2015 KTM Superduke 1290R
2013 Ducati Panigale R

Fry
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 450
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:47 am
Country: United States
City: Auburn
Year: 2017

Re: Bike shuts off at low speed when cold and downshift to 1st

Post by Fry » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:48 pm

Popcorn Please.

Stark
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 203
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:05 pm
Country: Australia
City: sydney
Year: 2016
Colour: Black

Re: Bike shuts off at low speed when cold and downshift to 1st

Post by Stark » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:24 am

I would say it's quite likely that it's an issue with the bike. The stalling/dying issue that I experienced didn't feel operator induced at all.

To go into finer detail; After the first few occurrences I tried compensating by giving excessive amounts of throttle and riding the clutch, And what I learned from that is it would either bog down like it was misfiring or like there was a giant hole in the stock fuel map. Though, no amount of throttle kept it from doing this.

What I find peculiar about my particular issue, is the PCV didn't even have a map loaded, but the problem went away immediately after it was fitted. I ran the bike for 4000km's with no map- no more stalling/dying. Loaded Kev's #4 map and it's still good.

I also have a cold/warm start issue, where the electronics cut out/reset just a fraction of a second into the starter motor cycle. Screen turns off a resets when this happens. Strangely, and to my displeasure, I will continue to hold the start button down as it struggles and resets multiple times and the engine will start even though the display and everything is off- a true gremlin indeed.

Kind of ironic, but both the starting and stalling issues seem to share the same symptom of resetting the electronics on the bike. Not sure what to make of that.

JAMSXR
125cc
125cc
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:29 pm
Country: UK
City: Woking
Year: 2008
Colour: Black

Re: Bike shuts off at low speed when cold and downshift to 1st

Post by JAMSXR » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:17 am

The funny/not so funny thing with this is that the guys on the Tuono forum are experiencing the exact same problem.

I had a Tuono 1100 which would cut out on occasion when changing down from first to second. I sold the bike last year but I see on the forums that's it's still an issue with the 2017 bike.

I'm currently in the market for a 17 1290 or Tuono, maybe it will be a case of an extended test ride and whichever cuts out the least will be the winner! If only Yamaha had made the MT10 a decent looking machine this could be an easier descision.

FYI - There was also a cutting out issues on the S1000RR. Turns out these super high performance machines can have their niggles :)

User avatar
5150 Pops
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 259
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:10 am
Country: USA
City: NORTH CHESTERFIELD
Year: 2015
Colour: Black
Location: USA Virginia

Re: Bike shuts off at low speed when cold and downshift to 1st

Post by 5150 Pops » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:58 pm

To anyone experiencing running problems...

Did you ever look at your battery connections?
One the European 1290R board there were a few owners who had mysterious electrical Gremlins that were induced by poor connection at the battery. The terminal bolts had either loosened from vibration, or simply weren't tightened enough at the factory.

KTM is not alone in this, the s1000rr has also shown problems that have SOMETIMES been traced to loose terminals, other times it's more serious.

Post Reply