Dyno Tuned\Upgrades

Still the most important introductory info..
Fry
Supporter
Supporter
City: Auburn
Year: 2017

Dyno Tuned\Upgrades

Post by Fry » Thu May 17, 2018 2:46 pm

Hello all, I haven't posted much here lately as I've been more active on the Facebook KTM SDR pages https://www.facebook.com/groups/Superdu ... =bookmarks and https://www.facebook.com/groups/382443468554838/ so I thought I'd post some updates to my 2017 SDR and what I've done to it.

Currently this is the list of Mods to it:

1.) BST Rims
2.) Austin Racing RS22 Full Ti System, Black Ceramic Coated.
3.) Rottweiler Intake Kit with 80mm Velocity Stacks.
4.) Rottweiler SAS and Canister Delete kits.
5.) Evotech Frame Sliders, Black Clear Clutch Cover with Orange Pressure Plate.
6.) R+D Ignition Cover Slider, R+D Axel Sliders.
7.) Austin Racing Branded TWM Foldable levers.
8.) Akrapovic CF Rear Hugger
9.) Rhino Moto Bar End Sliders
10.) CRG Lane Splitter bar end mirrors.
11.) Bren Tuning dyno session\tuning through the ECU.

Anyways the newest additions to the above list are the RS22 System and the tuning work that was done at Bren Tuning https://brentuning.com/which is local to me in Upton Mass.

I previously had the Hi Slug AR Single exhaust and experienced a failure with it. I had read a lot of bad reviews on how difficult it was dealing with Richard Austin, the owner of Austin Racing however my experience was completely pleasant and refreshing. Without getting in to to many details I was offered a free replacement on the Exh. or half off of the RS-22 system, I went with the RS-22 system. When trying to make the decision I reached out to many RS22 owners and some had horrific fitment issues others didn't, all of the owners were very accommodating to my info requests. As I said I went ahead and ordered the system, fitment was spot on and the install was super easy. I am very pleased with the Exh, the quality and especially the sound. Yes, it is very loud and I don't run it with any of the Db killers installed, I figure If I'm running an outlandish Exh. I want it to be loud as fuck, and it is. I like it. I have about 300 miles done with this system and have no issues what so ever. Here are a few pics

After watching some 650iB Videos online I heard him mention Bren Tuning, after some research it appears they are well known in the BMW S 1000RR world doing some amazing ECU tuning. I reached out to them to see what they could offer me in terms of dyno tuning. They wanted to get their hands on the 2017 KTM SDR and try to crack the ECU and do the tuning through there. They offered me half off Dyno tuning\ECU tuning if they could keep my bike for a few weeks and use it to create a "Flash Tune" service for 2017 SDR owners, I happily agreed. I do believe that service is currently available from them. 1st I'd like to say that regrettably I never got a completely stock Baseline Dyno run before any parts were added to this bike, just didn't happen which makes these numbers somewhat useless. Secondly Bren Tuning uses a Mustang Dyno which some say reads a bit different\higher than a Dyno Jet Dyno. Yet for me I am happy to know what numbers my bike is laying down, additionally it will serve me well when future upgrades are done, I'll have the bike dyno'd on this Dyno and be able to see what increases the new parts\work has allowed.

Here are the results:

Run#3: Baseline run. Rotti Intake, 80mm velocity stacks, full Ti AR RS22 system, Rotti canister and SAS delete, and Rotti supplied PCV and map=178Hp/96. Bren stated it was running super rich and that the PCV and Map was hurting power.

Run#1: Same as above but with (2) 40mm VS fitted=191Hp/102. Bren stated that the 40 stacks gained a few HP but only at the last few 200 RPM and hurt it to much down low.

Run#2: PCV Removed, 80mm stacks fitted, all tuning done though the ECU=189Hp/105

Here is what the tuner, Chris Robillard posted about the process:
First of all the bike came in with 80mm stacks installed, we baselined the bike as it was setup with PC5, Rotti map, everything else the same. We then uninstalled the PC5 completely letting the bike run on the factory ECU fuel mapping. The bike actually picked up 3whp over the Rotti PC5 map. The Rotti PC5 map was incredibly rich in numerous places (11.0AFR). The stock ECU fueling wasn't terrible either and could be used short term without mapping.

We then tuned the bike direct through the ECU with our own custom mapping. The bike picked up 10WHP and 8WTQ over the rotti map and 8WHP and 6WTQ over the stock map. With extra time on the dyno I'm sure we could have made a few more HP but we were satisfied with these gains. Remember, this is all directly through the factory ECU.

After finalizing mapping for the 80mm stacks, we tried out the 40mm stacks, we found that the 40mm stacks made around 5WHP more in the very upper RPM ranges (10,000RPM and above) but lost a good amount of power and torque throughout the mid range. Overall, for the 5WHP were just not worth the sacrifice of mid range power so we put the bike back to 80mm stacks.

Here is a short Dyno run video.

https://www.facebook.com/ryan.johnson.5 ... 156862124/

The tuning that Bren has done has made this already beastly bike into an absolute raging animal, it boarders on insane. Yet, at the same time the throttle response seems more linear, smoother and more controllable. Roll On wheelies were never a problem, now their becoming a problem, the front wheel is always in the air. I'm actually having to change the way I ride this bike because of the power, I'm noticing even in Track Mode, Slip #1 MTC and ABS on that the rear tire moves around a bit more. I'm forced under hard runs to bang through the gears far quicker as the bike just bursts through each gear, I have to react quicker, to ride this quicker, its just a brute.

In closing, I plan on putting some decent miles on the bike before any new upgrades. Next up grades will be having Custom Cams ground for me by Web Cams in collaboration with Bren tuning and have them install and tune for the new cams over the winter. I'm thinking, on thier dyno, with cams and tuning I should get close to 200-205 RWHP, maybe a smidge more.

Thanks for reading.

Spiff
Supporter
Supporter
City: Las Vegas
Colour: Black & Orange

Re: Dyno Tuned\Upgrades

Post by Spiff » Thu May 17, 2018 10:46 pm

On my way to work, but I have questions for you Fry. Check back here tomorrow.

Fry
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Fry » Fri May 18, 2018 3:32 am

No Prob. Spiff, fire away. Hope I can be of some help answering them.

Spiff
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spiff » Sat May 19, 2018 1:29 am

First, how are they accessing the ecu? I have been thinking OFT, but am not sold on anything yet.

Second, did you guys play with the throttle? Either more aggressive turn, or allow it to open more where the stock is limited. Seems odd building more power, when the bike is limiting the amount of throttle.

I also find it interesting how well your bike responded to a custom tune. This has also been my experience. Seems odd to spend big dollars on hard parts, then go cheap on the tune that will take advantage of all the modifications.

I'll probably have more questions in the future. That's all I can think of at the moment. I plan on moving forward with this stuff in a month or so. I am close enough to the end of the warranty I'm just going to wait.

Fry
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Fry » Sat May 19, 2018 4:02 pm

They are using some type of handheld tuner\software and probably other things I am not aware of. I can try to find out what there using as I believe the Tuner mentioned it in a post of mine somewhere. But all of the changes they do make, are changes made to the Tables and Parameters in the ECU of the bike, I am no longer running the PCV, all I have fitted are the O2 Optimizers, not running any O2 Sensors.

They didn't mention anything to me about changes made to the Throttle Settings or Sensitivity however, even before noticing the additional HP and Trq. what was immediately felt was how much smoother the bike felt through the Throttle, which I will assume is due to making the actual fueling of the bike spot on in all RPM ranges and loads, it was that dramatic of a difference. Prior to them working on the bike I rode it like it was a wild beast, you had to be firm, direct and very aware of your throttle inputs, now it seems like the throttle and resultant increase in forward momentum is very linear, smoother. Yes, it is fucking brutal, but in a different way, can't really explain it. As for the Power and Trq increase, it too is somewhat noticeable, more so the increase in Trq., snap the throttle in any gear, bang through the gears as quick as your toe can move and it feels like your being pushed by the hand of God. 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear acceleration, when WFO and using the QS are just a Blip....Bang Bang Bang Bang and your gone.

As for the tune, I wish I had gotten a OEM baseline run before any parts went on the bike and before these dyno runs, but can't fix that now so for me, one of the reasons for Dyno'ing\Dyno tuning it was to have a baseline number for my current set up to use in the future for future mods. Additionally, I like having verifiable numbers I can through in my riding buddies faces, LOL. Plus having the experts at Bren create a tune that was spot on for my exact set up and location means a lot, especially after seeing how Rich the off the self map from Rotti was, not that I was having issues with the Rotti map or how it felt per se, its just now I know the bike is running optimally.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions as you think of them, I'll do my best.

Fry
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Fry » Sat May 19, 2018 7:08 pm

Spiff, copied and pasted the below from Facebook Discussion on my Tune, Chris is the tuner.

Chris Robillard: Powergate3+ Which is made by Alientech is the device, we add our own mapping to it.

Alex Man: Any differences or advantages compared to the Open Flash Tablet Shiv Pathak is using?

Chris Robillard: Tablet is the same, calibration is different.

Shiv Pathak Chris Robillard is incorrect. The OFT is a master tool. The Powergate is a slave tool. This means that the OFT allows customers to view and edit our unencrypted tune files whereas the powergate can only accept tune files that are encrypted by the tuner using a decoder device. The OFT also offers enhanced diagnostics and data logging functionality.

This means the OFT is actually a tuning tool while the powergate is simply a ecu flashing tool. Those are some very big differences.

Chris Robillard Cool. I have had hundreds of customers over 5+ years in multiple markets and 0 of them wanted to tune the bikes themselves. Cool feature and maybe a defining purchase point for some, but from what I have seen our customers want a set it and forget it product which this is.

Shiv Pathak Chris Robillard we have sold over 15,000 OFTs over the past 4 yrs. So it appears that these cool features are useful when/if needed.

John Abt Data logging & diagnostics is an important part of the equation when you’re spending so much time and $ trying to eek out those extra HP

Chris Robillard Sure, for those looking to maximize every last HP and have the proper knowledge to calibrate their own bike you are correct. This is an OTS map, it is not billed as anything other than that. It is not for someone looking to get every last viable HP out of the bike. If you want to do that you can either bring the bike to me for custom calibration, have me remote tune it or use Shivs product which will allow you to tune it yourself on a dyno with the proper knowledge and training.

Spiff
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spiff » Sun May 20, 2018 12:49 am

Thanks Fry. At this point I am thinking OFT. My reason is I have a solid mechanic and don't have a good relationship with my local dealer. The OFT should give my guy the freedom to do all the stuff dealer previously had a monopoly on. Now I just need to talk him into tuning with the OFT compared to the PCV.

Fry
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Fry » Sun May 20, 2018 12:26 pm

Sounds good, the OFT is a solid product from what I've read about it and from the users who have commented on it. Shiv is a great guy to deal with, very helpful.