New street bike

Still the most important introductory info..
IdahoHusker
50cc
50cc
City: Pocatello
Year: 2017

New street bike

Post by IdahoHusker » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:35 am

Hi! This is kind of an introduction of myself and a question. I picked up my first street bike two days ago. I had been waiting for the 790 Duke but after hearing that it wouldn’t be to my dealer until maybe late fall, I chose to go with a new ‘17 1290. I’m happy I did.

I have been riding dirt bikes for 10 years now and currently ride a ‘12 KTM 450 xc w. Obviously I’m a KTM fan through and through.

I’ve put just over 100 miles on the SDR. It’s a hoot to ride! My question is about rpm ranges. Is there a particular rpm range that I should keep it in? Being used to 4 stroke dirt bikes I tend to kind of “lug” them. Just not sure if the SDR prefers to be revved some or lugged. Thoughts?

Thanks in advanced!

Spiff
Supporter
Supporter
City: Las Vegas
Colour: Black & Orange

Re: New street bike

Post by Spiff » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:08 pm

It makes power everywhere over 3k. Took me a while to get used to it, as I came off of a supermoto that would wheelie off idle. This does not. Stock fueling is lean, and it just feel lethargic off idle. Put the throttle in track mode with the TC around 3. I commute with TC on 3. I can feel it, but it isn't obnoxious. Once it is broke in the front is going to be light.

If I lived in an area with better roads I would have gone 790, but after sitting on one I am glad I went 1290.

IdahoHusker
50cc
50cc
City: Pocatello

Post by IdahoHusker » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:08 am

Thanks for the reply Spiff. I don’t have the Track mode unlocked on my bike, just Sport, Street, and Rain. Been thinking about buying the Track Package though.

Spiff
Supporter
Supporter
City: Las Vegas
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by Spiff » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:03 pm

Lean on your dealer. I think they are giving it a way in many situations.