Invalid KTM warranty

Still the most important introductory info..
JAMSXR
125cc
125cc
City: Woking
Year: 2008
Colour: Black

Invalid KTM warranty

Post by JAMSXR » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:28 am

Hi All,

I'm looking to add the Arrow link pipe (with all the appropriate upgrades/changes), and out of curiosity I emailed KTM to check the warranty situation.

I was really disappointed to get the following response. Essentially any non KTM PowerParts will invalidate the warranty. Whilst I appreciate the need to ensure performance enhancements are approved by the manufacture, this cartel like approach is a really disappointing move from KTM.

"Thank you for contacting KTM UK regarding Link pipe

We appreciate some owners wish to modify their motorcycles and make them their own. Our embracing of this can be seen by the wide range or PowerParts accessories available from your local authorised KTM dealer. Whilst these are designed to add individuality to each rider's motorcycle, they are also tested to ensure that they are suitable for the motorcycle they are intended to be used on.

With this is mind, any modification that is not a KTM PowerPart will invalidate the manufacturer's warranty offered with the motorcycle. This is due to the modifications not being tested and approved by the factory.

We hope this has answered your question, but should you have any further questions regarding this or any other matter, please do not hesitate to contact us to discuss these further.

Kind regards"

HDKAWKTM
Supporter
Supporter
City: clemson
Year: 2015

Re: Invalid KTM warranty

Post by HDKAWKTM » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:36 am

I think the relationship you have with your dealer is what would reflect the most if a fault can be repaired under warranty. The factory will repair issues if you dealer just submits the claim and does not sell you out. I have had dealers (other brands) tell me that if something failed and I had a slip on exhaust to hold on to the stocker just in case a regional rep wanted to look at the bike for a claim and just swap it back. I know mine only had a 1 year warranty here in USA and I installed a slip on but waited the year to do the mid pipe removal and the SAS and have the Akra loaded since some of that stuff is not easy to put back.
Current Stable: 2015 SDR, 2013 Kawasaki Concours 14, 2011 Harley Ultra Limited "Clemson Tigers NCAA Football National Champs" :mrgreen:

JAMSXR
125cc
125cc
City: Woking
Year: 2008
Colour: Black

Re: Invalid KTM warranty

Post by JAMSXR » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:01 pm

Clearly KTM have been out to the dealers to enforce this. My local KTM dealer (one of the biggest in the UK) will not carry out any non-PowerPart modifications, I then spoke to another dealer who would do the work, but if I had engine running issues (which they believe to be unlikely) I would get into difficult territory.

If they just sold an Akra/approved link pipe things would be more straight forward...