Thinking of Selling

Still the most important introductory info..
Fry
Supporter
Supporter
City: Auburn
Year: 2017

Thinking of Selling

Post by Fry » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:31 pm

1st and foremost I couldn't be more happier with my 2017 SDR, it is by far the best bike I have owned.

The only reason I'm toying with this idea is news of perhaps a late 2018\2019 Turbo Hayabusa. There isn't much news or confirmation on any updates to this aging model but if a OEM Turbo Busa is released I'd be very interested.

One of the factors in me buying the SDR is that I could carry a passenger which is a requirement if it weren't I would have gone the H2 route.

I may be able to swing the purchase of the Busa without selling the SDR but for pure fantasy I'm wondering what a realistic price for my bike would be?

I know selling a heavily modified bike is difficult and you never recoup the cost of the Aftermarket parts, or for your labor. I do have all of the OEM take off parts (Most taken off around the 50 mile mark) and could put the bike back to stock and sell the Aftermarket parts separately.

Here is a list of the Mods,.

1.) BST Carbon Fiber Rims
2.) Austin Racing Full Ti GP1 Hi Mount Exhaust System, Ceramic Coated
3.) Austin Racing Adjustable\Fold-able Clutch and Brake Levers
4.) Rottweiler Stage 4 Intake Kit with PCV and (2) TVS-80 Velocity Stacks
5.) Rottweiler Stage 3 SAS\Canister Removal Kit
6.) Akrapovic Carbon Fiber Rear Hugger\Chain Guard.
7.) Orange Anodized Renthal Fat Bars
8.) OEM Heated Grips
9.) Custom LED Blaster-X Integrated LED Tail Light
10.) Evotech Skid Plate\Sump Guard
11.) Evotech Frame Sliders
12.) R+G Ignition and Clutch Cover Guards
13.) R+G Frt and Rear Axle Sliders
14.) Rhino Moto Bar End Sliders \Bar End Mirror Mounts
15.) CRG Hindsight Lanesplitter Bar End Mirrors
16.) Track and Performance Packs from KTM

The bike is flawless, highly maintained and at the end of the riding season next year I'll probably have about 4-5000 miles on it.

So, what would you do? What would you price the bike at?

HDKAWKTM
Supporter
Supporter
City: clemson
Year: 2015

Re: Thinking of Selling

Post by HDKAWKTM » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:09 am

Fry,
I would keep the well tricked out SDR if I were you buddy. The insurance cost for a Busa is way too high and if its a turbo jesus that would be unreal cost wise. Look at tricked out Busa's on ebay. They can't give them away. You need to enjoy the bike now. I plan on keeping mine until I am too old to ride it then hell it may go in my man cave and just drink beer and look at it :mrgreen:
Current Stable: 2015 SDR, 2013 Kawasaki Concours 14, 2011 Harley Ultra Limited "Clemson Tigers NCAA Football National Champs" :mrgreen:

michaelnel
Supporter
Supporter
City: Angels Camp, CA
Year: 2016
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by michaelnel » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:35 am

I'm too old to ride mine but I ride the piss out of it anyway. It may kill me, but it beats most other ways of dying. :lol:

HDKAWKTM
Supporter
Supporter
City: clemson

Post by HDKAWKTM » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:56 pm

michaelnel, so how old is too old? you have me by about 7 years. I will be 60 next summer! :shock: I plan to ride until I can't hold one up.
Current Stable: 2015 SDR, 2013 Kawasaki Concours 14, 2011 Harley Ultra Limited "Clemson Tigers NCAA Football National Champs" :mrgreen:

michaelnel
Supporter
Supporter
City: Angels Camp, CA
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by michaelnel » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:17 pm

HDKAWKTM wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:56 pm
I plan to ride until I can't hold one up.
Me too!

buddhabiker
250cc
250cc
City: Pasadena, CA

Post by buddhabiker » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:25 pm

I’m closing in on 60 and I’m feeling like the older I get, the more I’m moving to younger men’s bikes. From Goldwing to Yamaha FJR, now to the SDR. My motorcycle IS a time machine...it keeps me feeling young!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

buddhabiker
250cc
250cc
City: Pasadena, CA

Post by buddhabiker » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:26 pm

As I like to say, you’re only as old as those you feel. So, if you want to feel younger...feel younger

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Fry
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Fry » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:43 pm

I'm 44 and have been on bikes of various makes, sizes and categories since I was 7 years old, I don't plan on giving up anytime soon. For me, bikes come and go, there have been times were I haven't had a bike for a few years but knew Id be on one again soon.

The SDR is a bike that I'm not so sure I'll sell, the only other bike I've felt that way about was my 96 SRAD 750, and I kick myself everyday for selling that one however a OEM, Refreshed, Turbo Busa has my attention.

I guess time will tell, until more concrete news comes out I'll continue to flog the piss out of the SDR as I've gotten to the point where I'm riding it like I use to ride my dirtbikes (KTM 300EXC), point and shoot.

One of my close riding buddies said of my SDR, its a Dirtbike on Steroids and NOS, you've finally have your perfect bike. And to be honest with myself, I do have the perfect bike. Its super light, futuristic looking, brutally powerful and makes me smile during even the most mundane of rides....

Time will tell.

headinnorth
250cc
250cc
City: Rockville

Post by headinnorth » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:16 am

If you've never owned a turbo bike, it should be one on the bucket list.

I've owned two turbo charged Hayabusa's and two NA Hayabusa's. They were all fun to ride!

Fry
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Fry » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:10 am

headinnorth wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:16 am

I've owned two turbo charged Hayabusa's and two NA Hayabusa's. They were all fun to ride!
Tell me more...

5150 Pops
Supporter
Supporter
City: NORTH CHESTERFIELD
Colour: Black

Post by 5150 Pops » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:06 pm

Fry wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:10 am
headinnorth wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:16 am

Tell me more...
Well it won't be in 2018, at least not in USA....
http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/suz ... portbikes/

steve59
675cc
675cc
City: chicago
Year: 2010

Post by steve59 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:10 pm

There's room for both for sure,the busa a point and shoot weapon and your sdr for all the other roads.
Enjoy

Bootworks
Supporter
Supporter
City: Livermore California
Year: 2014

Post by Bootworks » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:28 am

I'd be curious to hear more about the reasons why a turbo 'Busa would tempt you to part with a 1290 SDr.

Fry
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Fry » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:21 am

I'm still trying to figure it out as well as a Turbo Busa is polar opposite of the 17 SDR.

If I'm honest, I guess its a Dick Measuring Contest with a buddy I ride with. He has a modded ZX-14, I can ride his rear tire, stay ahead of him in the twisties yet on the back country open road stretches he walks me at the high end, as do my Gixxer 1000 buddies. My last bike was a 2003 GSXR (With LSL Superbike Kit) and the SDR doesn't have the Top End rush that it did, to be fair it does everything else monumentally better.

I also like the idea of forced induction, the H2 was on my shopping list but its single passenger only and thus it wouldn't have made a Happy Wife, Happy Life situation for me, a new Busa if Turbo's would.

If a new Busa comes out Turbo'd, will I sell the SDR and buy one, not sure? The SDR is the EXACT bike I've wanted all my life, is set up exactly how I want it, and has every hop up part that I use to fantasize about so it'll be a tough decision.

Maybe both can fit into my garage.

McDirty
250cc
250cc
City: Louisville
Year: 2014

Post by McDirty » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:54 pm

Fry wrote:I'm still trying to figure it out as well as a Turbo Busa is polar opposite of the 17 SDR.

If I'm honest, I guess its a Dick Measuring Contest with a buddy I ride with. He has a modded ZX-14, I can ride his rear tire, stay ahead of him in the twisties yet on the back country open road stretches he walks me at the high end, as do my Gixxer 1000 buddies. My last bike was a 2003 GSXR (With LSL Superbike Kit) and the SDR doesn't have the Top End rush that it did, to be fair it does everything else monumentally better.

I also like the idea of forced induction, the H2 was on my shopping list but its single passenger only and thus it wouldn't have made a Happy Wife, Happy Life situation for me, a new Busa if Turbo's would.

If a new Busa comes out Turbo'd, will I sell the SDR and buy one, not sure? The SDR is the EXACT bike I've wanted all my life, is set up exactly how I want it, and has every hop up part that I use to fantasize about so it'll be a tough decision.

At my local race corse the sdr can stay in front of most any liter bikes on the untill the 125+ relm and that only becomes a problem about midway down the front strait. By that time they are just making up for the gap i can pull on corner exit of the final turn.

If your on a 150hp+ bike and having ego issues bc your buddys of leaving you on the street your probly need to just chill out before you and your friends end up in boxes.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Fry
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Fry » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:07 pm

McDirty wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:54 pm
Fry wrote:I'm still trying to figure it out as well as a Turbo Busa is polar opposite of the 17 SDR.

At my local race corse the sdr can stay in front of most any liter bikes on the untill the 125+ relm and that only becomes a problem about midway down the front strait. By that time they are just making up for the gap i can pull on corner exit of the final turn.

If your on a 150hp+ bike and having ego issues bc your buddys of leaving you on the street your probly need to just chill out before you and your friends end up in boxes.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Sound Advice.

JDS1290SDr
675cc
675cc
City: Edmonton

Post by JDS1290SDr » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:01 am

I call dibs on the BSTs when you part it out ;) :D
PRESENT STABLE
2015 Black SDR
2010 450 SXF
2010 450 XC-W Six days
2010 Ducati Multistrada
2010 Victory Cross Country
PAST
Way to many to mention

Gimlet
900cc
900cc
City: Dorset
Year: 2010

Post by Gimlet » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:55 am

What you need is a supercharger for the Superduke.

Fry
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Fry » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:14 pm

Gimlet wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:55 am
What you need is a supercharger for the Superduke.
Who's making one?

Fry
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Fry » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:14 pm

JDS1290SDr wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:01 am
I call dibs on the BSTs when you part it out ;) :D
Noted