RAM Mount failure @160MPH.

Still the most important introductory info..
Fry
Supporter
Supporter
City: Auburn
Year: 2017

RAM Mount failure @160MPH.

Post by Fry » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:02 am

Ram Mounts do not work above 160MPH...Brand new S8+ currently sitting in the median of a highway.

Used Find My Phone Google App, I know exactly where the phone is, yet when walking around in the median looking for it a Mass State Trooper booted me for my safety.

So, I posted a reward on my towns local, unofficial but highly populated FB page and now have a few groups going out to look for it.

3 Lessons:

1.) Need a better mount with a fail safe, I wasn't using the Ram Mount Rubber Band\Web that cvers over phone.

2.) Don't Speed.

3.) Get insurance on new phone at purchase.

steve59
675cc
675cc
City: chicago
Year: 2010
Colour: Black

Re: RAM Mount failure @160MPH.

Post by steve59 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:14 pm

hahahahahaha. everybody knows a v-twin can't go over 85 mph and that's with a tailwind downhill.
Enjoy

Fry
Supporter
Supporter
City: Auburn
Year: 2017

Post by Fry » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:32 pm

steve59 wrote:hahahahahaha. everybody knows a v-twin can't go over 85 mph and that's with a tailwind downhill.
I have a LOT of stickers on the bike, each good for about 10HP.

Freude am Fahren
500cc
500cc
City: Miami
Year: 2016
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by Freude am Fahren » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:26 pm

Yeah, I have an S8+ as well. I also have both the large and small x-grips. The small was a disaster, because of the stupid Bixby button, you can't mount it in the middle, so it becomes a big sail. I had it start to come out a couple times.

So I swapped for the bigger version, and it's held at legal speeds, but I don't feel safe. It also doesn't fit centrally located because of the buttons, but it's better than the small. However, because it's the big one, the grip isn't as strong.

I've been thinking about the Rokform mount, but I don't like the idea of forcing a large case on me. I'd need to change it out every time I rode.

By the way, I had a Note 7 before that was very secure in the smaller ram mount.

I need to get that rubber safety web thing.