Whelp, It happened.

Still the most important introductory info..
Post Reply
Fry
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 522
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:47 am
Country: United States
City: Auburn
Year: 2017

Whelp, It happened.

Post by Fry » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:19 pm

Well, my '17 SDR is new no longer, I dropped her.

So I'm at work, want to quickly head out and get some gas for a ride later tonight.

In my hurry I forgot I had the disc lock on....Hop on bike, start it, click 1st gear, turn bars slightly to the left to make my turn off of the motorcycle parking pad and Boom, 6"'s of forward momentum, .05MPH, bike locks up and I drop her to my left, hoping off as It hits the ground.

Luckily the only damage was I bent the shifter tip in to the point where it wouldn't shift as it was hitting the bolt head on the shifter linkage rod, scuffed up the newly acquired Rhinomoto bar end slider (It did its job marvelously), and put a very slight bend in the AR Racing Clutch lever end, barely noticeable, nor does it impact clutch use.

So had my Step Daughter bring tools, took the Shifter off, banged it straight, all back together in 5 minutes no issues of note.

Beginning of this week I just upgraded to a Samsung S8+, and just last night I put on a tempered glass screen saver, the phone was on the bikes RAM mount and wouldn't you know it, it did it's job, the screen saver cracked, but not the screen itself, PHEW~!@#$%^&

In closing I've used Disc locks for like 20 years without ever having an issue, yet in the last year I've had 2 incidents, 1st with my 2003 GSXR1000 I had the exact same incident occur while leaving work, luckily I was pointed straight and didn't drop it, now this.....Totally my fault. I guess I'll have to use a reminder band or something to clue me in on the Disc Lock being on. IDIOT.

Image

paul65
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:15 pm
Country: United Kingdom
City: leeds
Year: 2017

Re: Whelp, It happened.

Post by paul65 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:05 pm

been there and got that t-shirt my self but not with this bike
those florescent lines that attach to lock and bars are a good visual reminder ...

User avatar
Spiff
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 278
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:05 pm
Country: United States
City: Las Vegas
Year: 2017
Colour: Black & Orange

Re: Whelp, It happened.

Post by Spiff » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:19 am

The best kind of crash story. Only a bruised ego. Go buy the bar end and shifter and be thankful. :) We all have similar stories.

Fry
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 522
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:47 am
Country: United States
City: Auburn
Year: 2017

Re: Whelp, It happened.

Post by Fry » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:24 am

Spiff wrote:The best kind of crash story. Only a bruised ego. Go buy the bar end and shifter and be thankful. :) We all have similar stories.
I was able to bend the shifter back into shape, I will use it til I purchase a complete SATO Rear Set kit.

Already ordered the replacement bar end slider.

The Austin Racing Foldable Clutch lever didn't fold so much thus there is a very minute bend right at the end of it. It has some visible stress marks so I won't try bending it back. Finding a AR replacement for just the lever is difficult however AR just re-brands TWM Levers so I have contacted Motmummy to see if I can just get the lever, if not no biggie, completely usable and un-noticeable.

Very bruised ego but prior to picking the bike back up I looked around the Asylum and no one was looking, Phew. Speaking of picking it up, boy is this sucker light.

User avatar
dukebadboy
500cc
500cc
Posts: 129
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:58 pm
Country: UK
City: London
Year: 2012
Contact:

Re: Whelp, It happened.

Post by dukebadboy » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:25 am

I dropped mine yesterday as I was making U-turn when a front wheel hit the bump on road. Was at zero speed, so I didn't balance it properly.
I tried to hold it with my hands, while it was slowly falling on the side, but didn't have enough muscle power. Still, managed to land it very slow.

No damage, but embarrassing :)

Sent from my MIX using Tapatalk

User avatar
5150 Pops
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 262
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:10 am
Country: USA
City: NORTH CHESTERFIELD
Year: 2015
Colour: Black
Location: USA Virginia

Re: Whelp, It happened.

Post by 5150 Pops » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:44 am

Fry wrote:
Spiff wrote:The best kind of crash story. Only a bruised ego. Go buy the bar end and shifter and be thankful. :) We all have similar stories.
I was able to bend the shifter back into shape, I will use it til I purchase a complete SATO Rear Set kit.

Already ordered the replacement bar end slider.

The Austin Racing Foldable Clutch lever didn't fold so much thus there is a very minute bend right at the end of it. It has some visible stress marks so I won't try bending it back. Finding a AR replacement for just the lever is difficult however AR just re-brands TWM Levers so I have contacted Motmummy to see if I can just get the lever, if not no biggie, completely usable and un-noticeable.

Very bruised ego but prior to picking the bike back up I looked around the Asylum and no one was looking, Phew. Speaking of picking it up, boy is this sucker light.
Not so bad in the grand scheme of life.
Try putting a zip tie through the eyelet of this and loop it inside your lock. It'll be hard to miss a 2 foot ribbon attached to your front wheel, before getting on your bike.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/REMOVE-BEFORE-F ... 1136767109

Stark
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 203
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:05 pm
Country: Australia
City: sydney
Year: 2016
Colour: Black

Re: Whelp, It happened.

Post by Stark » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:33 am

Surprisingly easy mistake to make, especially if you don't follow the rules and attach your lanyard.

I did this on my 1200gs using one of those shitty Zena locks. I got about half a meter out of the garage and *crack* the lock smacked into the fork arm after making 3/4 of a rotation. Hard to believe but there was only a green smudge on the fork. Lucky I was going straight and she didn't go down.

That's what I love about KTM's Roadlok- it allows for zero play, so it's impossible to drive at all with the lock on. If you find yourself getting increasingly forgetful, it may be worth looking into.

Fry
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 522
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:47 am
Country: United States
City: Auburn
Year: 2017

Re: Whelp, It happened.

Post by Fry » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:26 pm

Stark wrote:Surprisingly easy mistake to make, especially if you don't follow the rules and attach your lanyard.

I did this on my 1200gs using one of those shitty Zena locks. I got about half a meter out of the garage and *crack* the lock smacked into the fork arm after making 3/4 of a rotation. Hard to believe but there was only a green smudge on the fork. Lucky I was going straight and she didn't go down.

That's what I love about KTM's Roadlok- it allows for zero play, so it's impossible to drive at all with the lock on. If you find yourself getting increasingly forgetful, it may be worth looking into.
I like that KTM Lock and might be able to justify the price, lot more damage could have occurred yesterday.

steve59
675cc
675cc
Posts: 280
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:21 pm
Country: USA
City: chicago
Year: 2010
Colour: Black

Re: Whelp, It happened.

Post by steve59 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:18 pm

I have a gtl and when i'm getting on the hwy with my wife and luggage for a weekend i'll set the preload for the extra load and it raises the bike considerably, anyhow after a couple hundred hwy miles i'll pull off and at an intersection red light i'm on my toes and when the ground isn't perfect or she moves to relieve her a$$ we go down! you can tell by how beat to crap my crash bars are it's happened a few times and the embarrassment is nearly becoming tolerable, maybe if I didn't send my wife somersaulting down the curb it wouldn't seem so bad :oops: so far I haven't done it in my own zip code at least.
Enjoy

Duncs
125cc
125cc
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:47 pm
Country: Australia
City: Melbourne
Year: 2017
Colour: White

Re: Whelp, It happened.

Post by Duncs » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:17 pm


I like that KTM Lock and might be able to justify the price, lot more damage could have occurred yesterday.
You can buy the original (as opposed to the KTM branded version) for MUCH cheaper than the KTM one. Google search is your friend ;) I can't remember the brand or I'd mention it here but it wasn't hard to find.

Fry
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 522
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:47 am
Country: United States
City: Auburn
Year: 2017

Re: Whelp, It happened.

Post by Fry » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:06 am

steve59 wrote: or she moves to relieve her a$$ we go down!
I'm pretty short for my SDR and am tippy toe on 1 foot at most lights and stops.

When I have my GF on the bike, the spry little thing that she is I had to really get forcefull with her telling her to stop fucking moving around as I'm coming to a stop, wait til I'm fully stopped and I am not adjusting my stance, she makes the entire package very "Nervous". She's getting better, now if I could only get her to stop fucking head bunting me.

Duncs
125cc
125cc
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:47 pm
Country: Australia
City: Melbourne
Year: 2017
Colour: White

Re: Whelp, It happened.

Post by Duncs » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:08 am

Fry wrote:
steve59 wrote: or she moves to relieve her a$$ we go down!
I'm pretty short for my SDR and am tippy toe on 1 foot at most lights and stops.

When I have my GF on the bike, the spry little thing that she is I had to really get forcefull with her telling her to stop fucking moving around as I'm coming to a stop, wait til I'm fully stopped and I am not adjusting my stance, she makes the entire package very "Nervous". She's getting better, now if I could only get her to stop fucking head bunting me.
:lol:

User avatar
5150 Pops
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 262
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:10 am
Country: USA
City: NORTH CHESTERFIELD
Year: 2015
Colour: Black
Location: USA Virginia

Re: Whelp, It happened.

Post by 5150 Pops » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:30 am

Duncs wrote:

I like that KTM Lock and might be able to justify the price, lot more damage could have occurred yesterday.
You can buy the original (as opposed to the KTM branded version) for MUCH cheaper than the KTM one. Google search is your friend ;) I can't remember the brand or I'd mention it here but it wasn't hard to find.
Roadlok, it actually shows in the pics, on the ribbon of the powerparts lock.

https://www.roadlokinternational.com/products/xra-307
$199.

Stark
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 203
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:05 pm
Country: Australia
City: sydney
Year: 2016
Colour: Black

Re: Whelp, It happened.

Post by Stark » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:19 am

Fry wrote:
Stark wrote:Surprisingly easy mistake to make, especially if you don't follow the rules and attach your lanyard.

I did this on my 1200gs using one of those shitty Zena locks. I got about half a meter out of the garage and *crack* the lock smacked into the fork arm after making 3/4 of a rotation. Hard to believe but there was only a green smudge on the fork. Lucky I was going straight and she didn't go down.

That's what I love about KTM's Roadlok- it allows for zero play, so it's impossible to drive at all with the lock on. If you find yourself getting increasingly forgetful, it may be worth looking into.
I like that KTM Lock and might be able to justify the price, lot more damage could have occurred yesterday.
Yeah the price is pretty ridiculous, but I didn't feel the full sting of it, as it was one of my inclusions in the free parts promo. But agree with Duncs, the original Roadlok would be the way to go.

Also with the original being Black in color, you'll save yourself a lot of time and mental anguish of repeatedly cleaning the brake dust off of it.
5150 Pops wrote:
Duncs wrote:

I like that KTM Lock and might be able to justify the price, lot more damage could have occurred yesterday.
You can buy the original (as opposed to the KTM branded version) for MUCH cheaper than the KTM one. Google search is your friend ;) I can't remember the brand or I'd mention it here but it wasn't hard to find.
Roadlok, it actually shows in the pics, on the ribbon of the powerparts lock.

https://www.roadlokinternational.com/products/xra-307
$199.
Damn, I want the black model now!

Post Reply