Life Expectancy.

Still the most important introductory info..
Salted
50cc
50cc
City: Melbourne
Year: 2016

Life Expectancy.

Post by Salted » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:57 am

Hi all.
I know its a bit of an odd question but i was thinking. Everyone associates reliability with Japanese bikes and with that, long trouble free (mostly, for the point of the discussion) kms. 50,OOOkms and upwards is a pretty normal thing.
What do, as someone with non Japanese bikes expect out of there rides?
Cheers,

scrubrunner
Supporter
Supporter
City: Brisbane
Year: 2015
Colour: Black

Re: Life Expectancy.

Post by scrubrunner » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:12 am

mate I've been around since jap bikes were considered shit & unreliable, euro bikes were always considered the benchmark for reliability & performance was a jousting contest with with some of the pommy steel, so here we are in an age that jap is considered reliable & we even have chinese, korean & God only knows wtf else crawling outta the woodwork for our hard earned folding, seriously the ktm I have has proven itself particularly in the face of neglect, abuse, minimal maint, & so forth, I reckon it's a keeper & the way it's going I'd be surprised if the thing doesnt outlast me (unless I manage to point it to its death)

old adage was - you get what you pay for & also worth considering is, put a bit of effort into keeping the moving bits movable & it should last a long long time ..

at no time was or have I been paid by ktm or any of their affiliated or associated companies or friends or relatives or even people that walked by their offices between the hours of dawn & dusk on any day including or excluding weekdays, weekends or public holidays in either clockwise or counter clockwise directions, full, waxing or waning moons ... BUT I do like my bike & it is always dirty in need of something that it never seems to get but keeps on going ....

buy it & ride it - or not
sdr makes ANY day above ground a good day

Gimlet
900cc
900cc
City: Dorset
Year: 2010

Post by Gimlet » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:58 am

The workshop who serviced my old SMT have had many LC8 990s through their hands that have done 70,000 miles. There's an RC8 not far from me that's gone past 60,000 including many track days with no problem. A few weeks ago MCN featured a guy who'd clocked up 90,000 miles on an 800 Triumph Tiger. Last year I was on a run and got talking to someone with an old but extremely tidy looking R1150GS. It had done 85,000 miles and had been to the Urals and back.

Anything mechanical can go wrong and will eventually wear out. It's a question of the soundness of the the basic engineering, whether it has been designed to be readily fixable and whether the manufacturer maintains good and affordable parts back-up. In all those areas I have confidence in KTM and European brands in general (with the possible exception of Ducati, which under VAG's ownership has been in danger of becoming expensive throwaway designer brand. Maybe things will change with Harley..)

I'd still have European over Japanese. The engineering is there with the Japs but there's something else missing.

Salted
50cc
50cc
City: Melbourne
Year: 2016

Post by Salted » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:48 am

Thanks guys,

Well i guess i will wait and see. Just picked up a 2014 SD with 15km on it at a pretty good price. One owner full history. I will give it some TLC when i get it to work and then just have some fun.

steve59
675cc
675cc
City: chicago
Year: 2010

Post by steve59 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:34 am

My 2015 lasted 10,500 miles before I killed it. I'm adjusting my riding habits to give myself more time to avoid the unavoidable and hope to get more miles from this 2016.
Enjoy