RSV4 guy thinking about joining your team

Still the most important introductory info..
J-S
125cc
125cc
City: Quebec
Year: 2017
Colour: Black

RSV4 guy thinking about joining your team

Post by J-S » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:45 am

Hi guys! I currently own a 2013 RSV4R and will be moving to 8 to 10 hours away from the nearest April dealer so I am thinking about jumping ship since there will be a KTM dealer only 1 1/2 hours away from me. I just need a little more info on reliability, service intervals etc. So please don't be shy and convince me ;) If anyone have experience on both bikes please share your experience I like the SD but I have to say the V4 is my favorite motor so far and I have experience with twins, inline 4 too and nothing so far came close to the V4.

J-S
125cc
125cc

Re: RSV4 guy thinking about joining your team

Post by J-S » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:22 pm

So no body has any good selling point or experience with both the 17 SDR and RSV4?

Vibral
125cc
125cc
City: Littleton
Year: 2016

Post by Vibral » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:27 pm

Perhaps the review that someone just posted might be helpful to you.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=8895

Fry
Supporter
Supporter
City: Auburn

Post by Fry » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:12 pm

J-S wrote:Hi guys! I currently own a 2013 RSV4R and will be moving to 8 to 10 hours away from the nearest April dealer so I am thinking about jumping ship since there will be a KTM dealer only 1 1/2 hours away from me. I just need a little more info on reliability, service intervals etc. So please don't be shy and convince me ;) If anyone have experience on both bikes please share your experience I like the SD but I have to say the V4 is my favorite motor so far and I have experience with twins, inline 4 too and nothing so far came close to the V4.
Ok, I'll offer what I can. My riding buddy had a 2005(?) RSV4R. He had to have it as it was his dream bike, we all go through that, fuck I'm currently in that mode with my 2017 SDR. I assisted him with some wrenching duties on that bike, basic maintenance and some more involved troubleshooting efforts. I only rode the bike once for like a few minutes as it was just entirely to uncomfortable for me. His bike did everything it was asked of, was fast as fuck and kept up and or edged out the GSXR1K's in our group yet for him the howl and rush of the inline 4 had him wanting to go back to his roots, GSXR1K's, so he sold it and got a beautiful murdered out 2008 1K.

The Aprilia oozes exotica, yet at least his version came with more than a few headaches. Nothing looks beautiful up on stands, totally torn down trying to solve problems, well actually his bike did look cool as fuck torn down but you get my drift.

I come from owning a long line of Gixxers, I've only owned a V Twin for a few years (Beull XB9R) and while that had some nice qualities like the front brakes and suspension it really was just a warmed over Sportster motor and additional average components. My dream bike has always been a KTM Superduke, I was finally lucky enough to be able to afford one right when the 17 was announced, so back to a V-Twin I went.

One of my biggest concerns was that I would miss the Top End rush and Top speed of the Gixxers, and while I still haven't been able to fully test the top speed of my SDR (Was trying to keep it under 7-8K Rpm for break in) I know I won't be close to the top speeds I've seen on the Gixxer. Which is not to say the motor is weak, its not its an Aero thing, the SDR is a naked bike and thus suffers from that when gunning for top speed, but that's not what this bike was created and designed to do.

From 0-130MPH I'd put this bike up against mostly anything. Add a few mods in and it gets frighteningly quick. I'm a fairly good rider. I'd been away from riding for a few years when I got my 2003GSXR1K, the bike was faster than I could think and react, it commanded a huge amount of respect from me...When rowing through the 1st 3 gears mentally I couldn't keep up it was like Star Trek Warp Speed....Well, the SDR gave me the same feeling, and I wasn't even able to redline it through the gears, its that mental.

Yet, even with it being mental, its also all day comfortable. I mean Cruise Control, are you serious? Never thought that would be a stand out feature for me, yet on a 400 mile, 12 + hour day it was a God send.

Suspension handles racing up and down a tight mountain road as fast as I dared (triple digits), wore the tires right to the edges, rippled the rubber a bit, never slid, drifted or had the chassis get upset to the point of worry, even when going over frost heaved road sections.

Brakes are the best I've ever used point blank.

Build quality seems good, lot of thoughtful touches like a built in under the seat cell phone holder, SAE Battery Tender plug in a easily accessed area, a built in USB port, adjustable bar mounting, all good stuff.

And I feel you'll get just as many "Looks" on the SDR as the Aprilia, they're both that sexy.

J-S
125cc
125cc

Post by J-S » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:44 pm

Thanks for the good post, for your budy aprilia if it was pre-09 it was a RSV mille which had the rotor V-twin in it the 09 and up completely changed models and are now called RSV4 and have a V4 aprilia motors. Like you I owned a Buell but mine was an 09 xb12s I loved that bike but had a shit load of problem with it so it became a love hate relationship and got rid of it thinking I was ready for a cruiser but after a year I realized I wasn't ready. Ever since the RSV4 came out in 09 I had said if I would ever get back on a sport bike it would be that one (previous sport bikes were 96 YZF750R and 97 gixxer 750), so in 2013 I got my dream sport bike. For me it is not a thing of extreme power or top speed, I like engine with character and feel and my V4 so far is the top one, second was the Buell. If I was after extreme power and top speed I would have got a S1000RR or HP4 in 2013 but it is an inline 4 without personality (in my opinion)

Spiff
Supporter
Supporter
City: Las Vegas
Year: 2010

Post by Spiff » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:52 pm

Well, if you are asking, here is my opinion on the 17 SDR.

First, there is more power than needed. I was riding an old road that for lack of a better term, felt like whoops. At 90 in 3rd gear I could float the front end over each swell like a motocross bike. All power, no clutch. Come out of a turn in 4th, open it up, and you are doing 130 with linear pull that would have continued if the road allowed it. On the highway in 5th I have yet to find a vehicle on the road I can not dispose of (with no effort) with a roll on. All this from a bone stock bike that has around town characteristics that could be described as a grocery getter.

Down low I am still getting to know the bike. I am coming from a supermoto that had instantaneous power off idle. I am learning, and feel a tune will help sort out everything out.

EDIT: As I get to know the bike more, I have to take back my concerns of off idle power. It is all there, I just need to assimilate to the new bike. Track mode with the TC set to 3 or less has made the biggest difference.

As far a comfort? I did 200 miles yesterday and could have continued with no problem except one. The handlebars don't work for me. I cover the brake with one finger, and the sweep is too much. I feel a strain in my forearm. A set of different bars should remedy this.

I am getting 46 mpg on the highway at an indicated 88 (actually more like 83), and that dropped to 42 once I hit the fun roads. I didn't reset the trip when the fun roads started.

Looks are subjective, but I hear "cool bike" on a regular basis from all sorts of different people. The day time running light like looks badass.

Is it perfect? No. The electronics and the dash leave a little to be desired. I would like to be able to have it in track mode without losing the clock, etc on the dash. There are a couple of other things like this, that aren't really worth mentioning.

One of the things I like most about the bike is it is a performance road bike. It is better than any road I have found so far. I am not going to be doing trackdays on this bike, and like the "performance road bike" concept more than the "trackbike for the road" concept. There are lots of excellent bikes out there, and most would make you happy. That said this bike is overkill for what can be done on public roads, while being an excellent commuter and weekend getaway bike. Plus there is a decent pillion if someone want to get luch with you.
Last edited by Spiff on Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NixK7
125cc
125cc
City: Cumbria

Post by NixK7 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:13 pm

I had a 2014 RSV4 Factory, great handling bike, very small though, but so easy to ride fast, very little input needed through the bars to get it to go where you wanted, unlike the many Gixers i owned where you had to man handle them through the corners and after a days riding you could feel it in your arms i never had any arm ache from the RSV4, absolute shite electrics on it.

Comparing the RSV4 to a SDR is a bit hard as ones an out and out race bike with number plates and the other is a Naked road bike, but out of all the bikes i have owned over the last 30 years, i can honestly say my 2017 SDR is my favourite, its fast, nimble, very comfortable and even with four knackered vertebrae i can still ride it all day and easily keep up with my riding mates on their Gixers and R1's etc.

One of my mates has just taken delivery of the new GSXR 1000R and he bought it round to my place, i sat on it and instantly thought, " i really dont miss sportsbikes and this head down arse up riding positon"

So for me, the SDR is far better than the RSV4 for what i need it for

J-S
125cc
125cc

Post by J-S » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:36 pm

NixK7 wrote:I had a 2014 RSV4 Factory, great handling bike, very small though, but so easy to ride fast, very little input needed through the bars to get it to go where you wanted, unlike the many Gixers i owned where you had to man handle them through the corners and after a days riding you could feel it in your arms i never had any arm ache from the RSV4, absolute shite electrics on it.

Comparing the RSV4 to a SDR is a bit hard as ones an out and out race bike with number plates and the other is a Naked road bike, but out of all the bikes i have owned over the last 30 years, i can honestly say my 2017 SDR is my favourite, its fast, nimble, very comfortable and even with four knackered vertebrae i can still ride it all day and easily keep up with my riding mates on their Gixers and R1's etc.

One of my mates has just taken delivery of the new GSXR 1000R and he bought it round to my place, i sat on it and instantly thought, " i really dont miss sportsbikes and this head down arse up riding positon"

So for me, the SDR is far better than the RSV4 for what i need it for
Thanks, I understand the big difference in one being a naked and the other one a race replica but since you owned both how does the SDR engine character compare to the V4 greatness of the RSV4? I know it's a twin and I had twins before and loved it too but for some reason I find that V4 great.

crazyinp
500cc
500cc
City: San Jose
Year: 2015

Post by crazyinp » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:40 am

I can't speak about '17 SDR, but I have '15 SDR and my buddy has '16 Tuono Factory. I am at the point where I am looking at trading in my SDR for '17 Tuono Factory. V4 is just amazing engine, extremely smooth and so much fun. The only reason I didn't go with '16 Tuono Factory, was because Aprilia was really cheap and didn't install good set of brakes. However that was fixed on '17 model and it does come with M50 calipers. Also, the suspension setup on Tuono is amazing, those ohlins are so good. It comes down to what you ride. If you track your bike more than 2times a year, hands down the Tuono Factory is way better bike than SDR. If you gonna do more of a commute, with some mountain rides, then SDR would do the job, also depend of your riding style, V-twin has so much torque at the lower RPM which makes it very forgettable on which gear you are. Coming from RSV4 , I would think Tuono Factory would be way better replacement.
______
In the Garage:
2015 KTM Superduke 1290R
2013 Ducati Panigale R

NixK7
125cc
125cc
City: Cumbria

Post by NixK7 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:26 pm

J-S wrote: Thanks, I understand the big difference in one being a naked and the other one a race replica but since you owned both how does the SDR engine character compare to the V4 greatness of the RSV4? I know it's a twin and I had twins before and loved it too but for some reason I find that V4 great.

The biggest difference in engine character is the amount of torque the SDR has, right from the get go it just pulls like a steam train, runs out of puff at about 9 or 10k so your up through the box pretty rapid, although no matter what gear your in or at what speed the amount of grunt instantly available is fantastic.
The V4 was a good engine, but not as much torque so i was always chasing the revs to keep it on the boil, sounded better as well, the V4 Ape just sounds beautiful where as the SDR is just loud LoL.

If you were on a wide twisty road, the V4 engine would be better, but on the roads i ride, narrower, very twisty and technical, then the SDR engine would be my choice due to its huge spread of power you can just ride the torque rather than having to chase the RPMS for power.

J-S
125cc
125cc

Post by J-S » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:51 am

crazyinp wrote:I can't speak about '17 SDR, but I have '15 SDR and my buddy has '16 Tuono Factory. I am at the point where I am looking at trading in my SDR for '17 Tuono Factory. V4 is just amazing engine, extremely smooth and so much fun. The only reason I didn't go with '16 Tuono Factory, was because Aprilia was really cheap and didn't install good set of brakes. However that was fixed on '17 model and it does come with M50 calipers. Also, the suspension setup on Tuono is amazing, those ohlins are so good. It comes down to what you ride. If you track your bike more than 2times a year, hands down the Tuono Factory is way better bike than SDR. If you gonna do more of a commute, with some mountain rides, then SDR would do the job, also depend of your riding style, V-twin has so much torque at the lower RPM which makes it very forgettable on which gear you are. Coming from RSV4 , I would think Tuono Factory would be way better replacement.

If I had a April dealer less then 8 hours away from where I am moving I would either keep my RSV4 or switch to a Tuono Factory for sure I never loved motor as much as I love the V4 but not having dealer support closer makes me think about jumping ship.

Spiff
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spiff » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:27 am

J-S wrote: If I had a April dealer less then 8 hours away from where I am moving I would either keep my RSV4 or switch to a Tuono Factory for sure I never loved motor as much as I love the V4 but not having dealer support closer makes me think about jumping ship.
If you dig the bike, and it isn't having problems keep riding it. Consider jumping ship IF it springs a leak.

If the bike is out of warranty all you need is AF1 (they have an excellent forum as well), and a good race shop. I have nothing but goodbthings to say about AF1. Parts always showed up as expected, and they know their shit.

J-S
125cc
125cc

Post by J-S » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:28 pm

Spiff wrote:
J-S wrote: If I had a April dealer less then 8 hours away from where I am moving I would either keep my RSV4 or switch to a Tuono Factory for sure I never loved motor as much as I love the V4 but not having dealer support closer makes me think about jumping ship.
If you dig the bike, and it isn't having problems keep riding it. Consider jumping ship IF it springs a leak.

If the bike is out of warranty all you need is AF1 (they have an excellent forum as well), and a good race shop. I have nothing but goodbthings to say about AF1. Parts always showed up as expected, and they know their shit.
Yep so far I dealt quite a bit with AF1 and they are great my other reason for changing bike is I realized that I am more of the naked bike type then race replica so yes I would change for the Tuono but having the dealer that far for warranty work wouldn't be great and my wife can't ride on the RSV4 unless I go to slow speed that are less than comfy for me ;) (comfy speed are licence loosing speed lol) so a more upright position for her would be great and I am not quite sure I am ready for a cruiser

Spiff
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spiff » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:12 pm

So, orange or black? :P

J-S
125cc
125cc

Post by J-S » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:33 pm

It's not even a question lol obviously BLACK thats the only color ;)

Spiff
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spiff » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:38 pm

Thought you were cool. :roll:

J-S
125cc
125cc

Post by J-S » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:28 am

I think they missed their shot with the 17 orange or should I say white. I do wish the black had a orange frame and wheels tho and if I can't find a black one then I'll get the white but replace the white plastics for black ones and get the sub frame powder coated black ;) but keep the orange frame and wheels

Spiff
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spiff » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:58 am

I have to admit that I have a paint job coming, but it sticks with the current theme. Just need to save up.

MadMatt
50cc
50cc
City: Nelson
Year: 2016

Post by MadMatt » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:40 pm

Hi guys.

Here is my take on it. I have a 2011 RSV4 SE, which I bought new and it was and still is my dream bike. Uncomfortable at lower speed but razor sharp and quiet comfortable at higher speed, even for my 6' 2" and absolutely intoxicating at full throttle. The sound (Austin race exhaust) and feel is as close to a moto gp bike as a mortal like myself can get. I call it the scalpel--its so precise.
Now the BEAST (2015 SD-R) is what it's named------ as Beast. I love it a lot too. It is so comfortable for 6-8 h rides, that I long for more after every long stint. Power / grunt everywhere, no matter what the gearing and you can be lazy w the shifting it won't matter too much. Rotweiler intake system makes a good ride even better.
If I only could have one bike it would probably be the Beast as it is such a better all rounder at any speed.
Then there is the Suzuki TL (big bore race kit) which collects spiderwebs at the moment, which is a totally different story

Cheers

J-S
125cc
125cc

Post by J-S » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:21 pm

MadMatt wrote:Hi guys.

Here is my take on it. I have a 2011 RSV4 SE, which I bought new and it was and still is my dream bike. Uncomfortable at lower speed but razor sharp and quiet comfortable at higher speed, even for my 6' 2" and absolutely intoxicating at full throttle. The sound (Austin race exhaust) and feel is as close to a moto gp bike as a mortal like myself can get. I call it the scalpel--its so precise.
Now the BEAST (2015 SD-R) is what it's named------ as Beast. I love it a lot too. It is so comfortable for 6-8 h rides, that I long for more after every long stint. Power / grunt everywhere, no matter what the gearing and you can be lazy w the shifting it won't matter too much. Rotweiler intake system makes a good ride even better.
If I only could have one bike it would probably be the Beast as it is such a better all rounder at any speed.
Then there is the Suzuki TL (big bore race kit) which collects spiderwebs at the moment, which is a totally different story

Cheers
Thanks that's kind of the way I feel even tho I havent tried the SDR yet but I did try the lower power version in the 990 many years ago and it was great. I have to agree I the sound of the V4 is and I think will be forever my favorite exhaust sound for any bikes but the bike in itself like you said is only comfortable at licence loosing speed and since I can't have 3 bikes right now I need something that will still be fun but comfy for longer rides and for 2 up rides too and my other ride is a full MX bike so not in the same category ;)