2017 SDR Mods (Beast 2.0) - What have you done?

Still the most important introductory info..
WarBaby
Supporter
Supporter
City: Maryville
Year: 2017
Colour: Black

Re: 2017 SDR Mods (Beast 2.0) - What have you done?

Post by WarBaby » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:41 pm

See Below.
`17 - BST carbon rims, Supercorsa tires, Arrow Ti can/mid-pipe, 16-T, Rotti 80/80 intake w/PCV/SAS/De-Canister/Servo Stopper/Fuel dongles, Lith. battery, R&G Frame/axle sliders, Evotech Tail Tidy/Rad guard/Exhaust hanger, LSL drag bar. -36 pounds.

WarBaby
Supporter
Supporter

Post by WarBaby » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:41 pm

I just finished the Rottweiler SAS/Canister delete and added their Fueling dongles. I'm about to install a Rottweiler Stage 2 Intake System and Power Commander V with a Rottweiler pre-loaded map.

I've been waiting for a KTM/Akrapovic Evo Ti full exhaust (for '17's) but I was just told that the full Ak exhausts for '17's have a recall for 'failed new mounts' and the revised Ak system will be available around the first of August in the U.S. Yes, I know that Ak systems for earlier years can be made to work--just relaying what KTM told me today FYI. :|
Rotty1.jpg
Rotty2.jpg
Cheers!
`17 - BST carbon rims, Supercorsa tires, Arrow Ti can/mid-pipe, 16-T, Rotti 80/80 intake w/PCV/SAS/De-Canister/Servo Stopper/Fuel dongles, Lith. battery, R&G Frame/axle sliders, Evotech Tail Tidy/Rad guard/Exhaust hanger, LSL drag bar. -36 pounds.

WarBaby
Supporter
Supporter

Post by WarBaby » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:23 pm

I am very weight conscious with my bikes because, as most of you know, there are so many performance and handling benefits from less weight. I have been weight-tracking my mods and have arrived at these figures. The total should be accurate to +/- 1.5 pounds.

Weight Saved:

BST carbon wheels - 10
Supercorsa tires - 1
AR Slip-on can - 4
Lithium battery - 7
SAS/Canister/O2 delete - 2.75
Passenger pegs - 1.5
Handlebar weights - 1
Rottweiler intake - 2
--------------------------------
Total - 29.25 pounds

If I add an Akrapovic Evo Ti full exhaust, another 10 will be saved over my current AR slip-on for a total of 39 pounds.
That's significant...! If anyone has more accurate data, please post and explain.

Cheers! :mrgreen:

Bagsweat
125cc
125cc
City: Vancouver

Post by Bagsweat » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:03 am

WarBaby wrote:
I've been waiting for a KTM/Akrapovic Evo Ti full exhaust (for '17's) but I was just told that the full Ak exhausts for '17's have a recall for 'failed new mounts' and the revised Ak system will be available around the first of August in the U.S. Yes, I know that Ak systems for earlier years can be made to work--just relaying what KTM told me today FYI. :|

Cheers!
The dealers up here are pleading the 5th (Canada) as to when they're going to see the full system. I feel like I've been told to sit on my hands more for this bike than any other. First the wait for delivery, and now the wait for them to take $3-4K out of my pocket.

I suppose it's a testament to just how much I love my bike if I'm willing to take this abuse. :-/

Do you perhaps have an update on the full Akra Evo system for the 17's?

Thanks!

Kcal
250cc
250cc
City: Newark

Post by Kcal » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:27 am

They were recalled for failing mounts I read. I believe I also read October expected for full systems in USA so I would assume similar for the north.

WarBaby
Supporter
Supporter

Post by WarBaby » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:08 pm

Bagsweat wrote: I feel like I've been told to sit on my hands more for this bike than any other. First the wait for delivery, and now the wait for them to take $3-4K out of my pocket.

I suppose it's a testament to just how much I love my bike if I'm willing to take this abuse. :-/

Do you perhaps have an update on the full Akra Evo system for the 17's?

Thanks!
That is exactly how I feel!

If AK is not available VERY soon, I'll just go with another light weight exhaust or stay with my AR slip-on and keep my $3K. My dealer got the '1st of August' message from KTM America during a phone call about three days ago. KTM information to customers about '17's has been soooo unreliable, I'll believe it when I see it. :shock:

Rusty Shackleford
125cc
125cc
City: Northland
Year: 2010
Colour: White

Post by Rusty Shackleford » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:02 pm

Ordered the full exhaust as well back in June with a supposed delivery date of July 14th well.... that date came and went I got the same excuse that the mounts needed to be reworked and I wouldn't get delivery till early September.
However my dealership just phoned me today to tell me the exhaust just showed up. Unfortunatly I'm up at work now so I'll have to wait a week to pick it up.

On another note has anyone been able to order the saddle bags for the 2017 in North America? Tried to order them but my dealer said they were only available in Europe at this point. Even though they are listed on the Canada and US KTM site. :roll:

Kcal
250cc
250cc
City: Newark

Post by Kcal » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:16 am

Rusty Shackleford wrote:Ordered the full exhaust as well back in June with a supposed delivery date of July 14th well.... that date came and went I got the same excuse that the mounts needed to be reworked and I wouldn't get delivery till early September.
However my dealership just phoned me today to tell me the exhaust just showed up. Unfortunatly I'm up at work now so I'll have to wait a week to pick it up.

On another note has anyone been able to order the saddle bags for the 2017 in North America? Tried to order them but my dealer said they were only available in Europe at this point. Even though they are listed on the Canada and US KTM site. :roll:
Wow, great to hear the full systems are trickling in. I wasn't aware the rear side bags were unique part numbers for the 2017 SDR. I figured they were same as all other years. Saddle bags will likely be my next mod if I can get a set ordered or preowned.

WarBaby
Supporter
Supporter

Post by WarBaby » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:21 pm

Malfunction!
Last edited by WarBaby on Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WarBaby
Supporter
Supporter

Got my Rottweiler Intake System installed (with their nice, billet velocity stacks) plus my mapped PCV. The installation was not difficult but it's tight in places under the fuel tank. The canister removal left plenty of room under the passenger seat for the PCV and a few small items. I haven't ridden it yet but, with the fueling dondles and intake, it barks HARD from idle when the throttle is blipped. I'm going riding! :mrgreen:
Intake_1.jpg
Intake_2.jpg
Intake_3.jpg
PCV_2.jpg

Cheers!

WarBaby
Supporter
Supporter

Sorry, the webiste is malfunctioning (got SQL Error message). I only clicked 'Submit' once!
Last edited by WarBaby on Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.

WarBaby
Supporter
Supporter

Post by WarBaby » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:25 pm

Malfunction!

Fry
Supporter
Supporter
City: Auburn

Post by Fry » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:01 pm

WarBaby wrote:Got my Rottweiler Intake System installed (with their nice, billet velocity stacks) plus my mapped PCV. The installation was not difficult but it's tight in places under the fuel tank. The canister removal left plenty of room under the passenger seat for the PCV and a few small items. I haven't ridden it yet but, with the fueling dondles and intake, it barks HARD from idle when the throttle is blipped. I'm going riding! :mrgreen:
Intake_1.jpg
Intake_2.jpg
Intake_3.jpg
PCV_2.jpg

Cheers!

They do have an amazing Bark when adding all of Rotti's kit and a AR exhaust, my neighbors know about this all too well.

NixK7
125cc
125cc
City: Cumbria

Post by NixK7 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:59 pm

Fitted some TWM levers, lovely quality and loads of adjustments.

Little Tip, if your looking to buy Austin Racing or Lighttech levers, dont, as they are just TWM levers that are rebadged and a big premium stuck on top.
Attachments
20170808_144633-1600x899.jpg
20170808_144602-1600x899.jpg

bartman314
50cc
50cc
City: weston
Year: 2014

Post by bartman314 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:39 pm

im a newb here, and just got my 17 1290r. i have a list of mods i'm planning and will post as i add.

i'm interested in the performance benefits of various mods. in particular i understand the bike is 177 hp out of the box, and that a full race system (akra or austin) is ~+11 hp. i also understand that if a full system is integrated with a velocity stack, i'll need to dyno and either overwrite the ecu or do someting like a power commander. so... what's the hp add with a dyno'ed full system and stage?? intake system?

finally, has anyone gone the next step and modded the engine. i'm a former ducati guy and lots of people had various things done to their engine.

Bagsweat
125cc
125cc
City: Vancouver

Post by Bagsweat » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:58 am

I like your style Bart. My suggestion however is to put the recommended 'break-in' miles on your bike, add both packs and learn to love track-mode with your right hand for a while. Let the novelty wear off a bit (it won't) and then do your upgrades. You'll notice them more and understand what needs changing. My $0.02

Fry
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Fry » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:07 pm

NixK7 wrote:Fitted some TWM levers, lovely quality and loads of adjustments.

Little Tip, if your looking to buy Austin Racing or Lighttech levers, dont, as they are just TWM levers that are rebadged and a big premium stuck on top.
I just bent my AR Racing Clutch lever and due to some digging found this very fact out. I will be ordering the foldable lever portion only from TVM rather than spending huge coin on a AR replacement.

NixK7
125cc
125cc
City: Cumbria

Post by NixK7 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:58 pm

Fry wrote:
I just bent my AR Racing Clutch lever and due to some digging found this very fact out. I will be ordering the foldable lever portion only from TVM rather than spending huge coin on a AR replacement.
Dont think you can even buy Austin Racing levers in the UK anymore due to them being found out over rebranding of levers, same with the AR rearsets they used to sell, they were rebranded GIA Moto ones with AR badge and a hefty premium

Fry
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Fry » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:24 pm

NixK7 wrote:
Fry wrote:
Dont think you can even buy Austin Racing levers in the UK anymore due to them being found out over rebranding of levers, same with the AR rearsets they used to sell, they were rebranded GIA Moto ones with AR badge and a hefty premium
Yeah, I figured as much.

I'm a bit done with AR. It took them about 3 months to deliver my exhaust, and though I love the sound, style and looks, the fitment is a bit suspect. I know its tight spacing to do a High Mount but I fiddled for a very long time to get it to fit without rubbing and its still not entirely right, livable but not right. Also they went from 2 support brackets on the can to 1, they state testing shows its perfectly suitable however my real world use shows that just 1 bracket creates a pivot point at the can\decat pipe junction, 2 brackets would have solved this.

So, I'll get the lever replacement from TVM, the original manufacturer.

WarBaby
Supporter
Supporter

Post by WarBaby » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:36 pm

Question:
After installing Rottweiler's intake system, billet velocity stacks, SAS/canister delete, fueling dongles and PCV with Rottweiler map, my bike runs like a raped ape--smooth, awesome throttle response, torquey, no backfies on decel, etc., BUT...it now idles at 1,800 RPM!

How can I lower the idle? I have emailed Rottweiler about this without any reply! :?: