2017 SDR Mods (Beast 2.0) - What have you done?

Still the most important introductory info..
WarBaby
Supporter
Supporter
City: Maryville
Year: 2017
Colour: Black

2017 SDR Mods (Beast 2.0) - What have you done?

Post by WarBaby » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:56 am

So far, I've only removed decals, reflectors and added an AR GP1R slip-on. More mods coming soon...
AR_slipon1.jpg
AR_slipon3.jpg
How about your `17?
`17 - BST carbon rims, Supercorsa tires, Arrow Ti can/mid-pipe, 16-T, Rotti 80/80 intake w/PCV/SAS/De-Canister/Servo Stopper/Fuel dongles, Lith. battery, R&G Frame/axle sliders, Evotech Tail Tidy/Rad guard/Exhaust hanger, LSL drag bar. -36 pounds.

Dave-k
125cc
125cc
City: Melbourne

Re: 2017 SDR Mods (Beast 2.0) - What have you done?

Post by Dave-k » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:24 am

Looks good with the Austin can. I have put on a muffler too but am thinking of the mid pipe to go with it. I added the KTM heated grips for all the winter rides around the Victorian high country and trips to Tasmania. They go on easy and work a treat. A lot dearer than something aftermarket but having the controls built in its hard to go past.

Will decide on rear sets after a track day to see how necessary they are. If there is no shifter left I guess I'll need them.

Karnage
125cc
125cc
City: Brisbane

Post by Karnage » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:00 am

Mostly Protection more that "mods"

AR knockoff slipon (at 1/10th the price was worth the gamble) increase in sound was more than I expected, i can't imagine how load the 1290 is with a Decat.
Charcoal canister removed to make space for tyre repair kit.
3M Headlight film
3M Paint film
Evotech Rad Guard, Sump Guard and Reg/Rec Guard.
Shorty Levers

The bike is a joy to ride, and I couldn't want for more. I've gone down the rabbit hole before with mods and I think this will be the first bike I leave well alone. The thing just works in every respect and for a standard bike the fueling is amazing, even more so when you consider it is covered in Euro 4 crap.
Attachments
AR Copy 1.jpg

WarBaby
Supporter
Supporter

Post by WarBaby » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:53 am

Your knockoff looks good to me.
Karnage wrote:The bike is a joy to ride, and I couldn't want for more. I've gone down the rabbit hole before with mods and I think this will be the first bike I leave well alone. The thing just works in every respect and for a standard bike the fueling is amazing, even more so when you consider it is covered in Euro 4 crap.
Agreed! ;) I'm not going wild with mods either. The '17 is just too good... :mrgreen:
`17 - BST carbon rims, Supercorsa tires, Arrow Ti can/mid-pipe, 16-T, Rotti 80/80 intake w/PCV/SAS/De-Canister/Servo Stopper/Fuel dongles, Lith. battery, R&G Frame/axle sliders, Evotech Tail Tidy/Rad guard/Exhaust hanger, LSL drag bar. -36 pounds.

Bagsweat
125cc
125cc
City: Vancouver

Post by Bagsweat » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:58 pm

Wonder why the AR tip has that extra section with the springs, and why they didn't just go with the tip? Would look better imo and less length to carry.

WarBaby
Supporter
Supporter

Post by WarBaby » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:40 pm

Bagsweat wrote:Wonder why the AR tip has that extra section with the springs, and why they didn't just go with the tip? Would look better imo and less length to carry.
I noticed that and wondered about it also. :?:

JJM
500cc
500cc
City: Higganum

Post by JJM » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:46 pm

Karnage wrote:Mostly Protection more that "mods"

3M Headlight film
3M Paint film
Shorty Levers
Karnage - obviously you have experience with the 3m products that are out there. Please offer some insite; I purchased the KTM tank sticker kit (black) but haven't installed it yet. In your opinion, would it be best to skip it altogether and go with the 3m protection, or would the tank sticker kit be good enough on its own or in addition to the 3m product? I appreciate your response.

Also, any chance you can post a link to the 3m product(s) and also how to properly install them without causing a disaster. Thanks! JJM

JJM
500cc
500cc

Post by JJM » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:55 pm

So far I only installed the KTM powerparts tail tidy kit. I am a complete novice with wrenching on bikes, but it was a piece of cake to install. Even the license plate illuminator came with the correct plug. Nothing had to be done other than swapping stuff out.

I do think there are nicer aftermarket tail tidys out there but this one suits me just fine for now.

I read the directions for the abs race dongle that I purchased and it looks like a piece of cake to install too. But it appears as though it can't be used (even if it is installed) until the track pack (or) performance pack are unlocked (purcha$ed).

Peace

Adoligy69
250cc
250cc
City: Gold Coast

Post by Adoligy69 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:18 pm

JJM wrote:

3M Headlight film
3M Paint film
Shorty Levers
Karnage - obviously you have experience with the 3m products that are out there. Please offer some insite; I purchased the KTM tank sticker kit (black) but haven't installed it yet. In your opinion, would it be best to skip it altogether and go with the 3m protection, or would the tank sticker kit be good enough on its own or in addition to the 3m product? I appreciate your response.

Also, any chance you can post a link to the 3m product(s) and also how to properly install them without causing a disaster. Thanks! JJM
I have put the 3m clear under the power parts tank pad ...so you can do both if you want ...i have the clear going up to near the fuel cap.. 2 piece custom cut ..i couldn't find any kits anywhere
Ado :D

Fry
Supporter
Supporter
City: Auburn

Post by Fry » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:18 am

WarBaby wrote:So far, I've only removed decals, reflectors and added an AR GP1R slip-on. More mods coming soon...
AR_slipon1.jpg
AR_slipon3.jpg
How about your `17?
Nice.

Wanna trade Wheels, Black for Orange?

Fry
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Fry » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:19 am

AR knockoff slipon (at 1/10th the price was worth the gamble) increase in sound was more than I expected, i can't imagine how load the 1290 is with a Decat.
Charcoal canister removed to make space for tyre repair kit.
3M Headlight film
3M Paint film
Shorty Levers

The bike is a joy to ride, and I couldn't want for more. I've gone down the rabbit hole before with mods and I think this will be the first bike I leave well alone. The thing just works in every respect and for a standard bike the fueling is amazing, even more so when you consider it is covered in Euro 4 crap.
Nice

Link for 3m Stuff, Im interested in paint and headlight protection.

Fry
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Fry » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:20 am

So, as mentioned in other posts I'm trying to get the bike running right, had the Akra map installed at dealer prior to full Exh going on, that caused driveability problems....With putting Half of the Austin Racing Exhaust on (Waiting on headers) I think I'm heading in the right direction. Due to rain I wasn't able to take a ride but the bike is Crisp when I whack it open on the stands. I need to Fire Sleeve the Rear O2 Sensor, make a relocation bracket and heat shield for the Rear Brake Resv., and am waiting for the AR Headers to come in, but things are moving forward.

Also added a few more items tonight.

Got rid of the hideous Plate Holder with a Yoshimura Unit, easy install.

A CustomLED Integrated Tail Light \Directional Unit. High quality, detailed directions, thoughtful design and inclusion of stock wiring harnesses.

Austin Racing Foldable, Fully adjustable levers. They fit very precisely, easy adjustability, drip of quality.

And the Austin Racing, Full Ti, Ceramic Coated, St Range High Mount Exh system. Still waiting on the headers. Spent a fucking boatload on this exhaust. From the brief start up tonight in my rather echoey basement I gotta say this might be too fucking loud. It looks amazing, well designed to a point (Tight tolerances to O2 Sensor wiring, Shock Resv and Swingarm) but boy does it BARK....Image

Karnage
125cc
125cc
City: Brisbane

Post by Karnage » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:30 am

JJM wrote: Karnage - obviously you have experience with the 3m products that are out there. Please offer some insite; I purchased the KTM tank sticker kit (black) but haven't installed it yet. In your opinion, would it be best to skip it altogether and go with the 3m protection, or would the tank sticker kit be good enough on its own or in addition to the 3m product? I appreciate your response.

It appears I've lead you guys astray, the headlight film is actually "Altrex Brand" I swear this used to be a 3M product. https://altrex.com.au/shop/light-skinz- ... mm-x-1-5mm

The paint protection is from 3m though http://solutions.3m.com.au/wps/portal/3 ... tion/Film/

It will be easier to apply the KTM pads over the paint protection film, but bear in mind the film is supposed to be sacrificial so when you peal it off in 12 months time there go your pads. With a little patience you could probably make a template to go around the pads though.

I used some poster cardboard to make templates of one side of the headlight, one side of the tank and the middle of the tank. I still plan to do the fork legs, leading edges of the front guard and I might get some of the matt finish for the side panels.

After I made the templates, I washed and polished the bike and applied the film using a drop of dish washing liquid in a spray bottle of water sprayed to both the surface and the vinyl.
Tips for a good job in no particular order:
*BE PATIENT
*Avoid touching the sticky side
*Do not apply in a windy area, the more dust free your environment the better chance of a perfect end result.
*BE PATIENT
*While it's wet you can reposition it, don't squeegee it out until you're happy with the placement. Observe movement as you do start to squeegee as it will move some and you can "chase it around" to keep it located.
*take your time getting your templates right.
*if you're not happy with it now, you're not going to be happy with it in a months time
*and *BE PATIENT

A heat gun will help in making the film conform to the shape of the panels. Easy does it through, its easier to heat it a bit more than to try and undo burnt paint :roll:

Looking at my centre section,i think I'm going to redo this piece to come up further on the tank, I can already see marring in the paint above the film, but this might just be because I'm a fat bastard. :lol:

When I redo it i'll try to take some photos, I'm no expert just a shmuck who's learnt from his mistakes.

WarBaby
Supporter
Supporter

Post by WarBaby » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:17 am

Fry wrote:Wanna trade Wheels, Black for Orange?
No but thanks for asking. :) Your AR looks awesome.

JJM
500cc
500cc

Post by JJM » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:40 am

Karnage wrote:
JJM wrote: Karnage - obviously you have experience with the 3m products that are out there. Please offer some insite; I purchased the KTM tank sticker kit (black) but haven't installed it yet. In your opinion, would it be best to skip it altogether and go with the 3m protection, or would the tank sticker kit be good enough on its own or in addition to the 3m product? I appreciate your response.

It appears I've lead you guys astray, the headlight film is actually "Altrex Brand" I swear this used to be a 3M product. https://altrex.com.au/shop/light-skinz- ... mm-x-1-5mm

The paint protection is from 3m though http://solutions.3m.com.au/wps/portal/3 ... tion/Film/

It will be easier to apply the KTM pads over the paint protection film, but bear in mind the film is supposed to be sacrificial so when you peal it off in 12 months time there go your pads. With a little patience you could probably make a template to go around the pads though.

I used some poster cardboard to make templates of one side of the headlight, one side of the tank and the middle of the tank. I still plan to do the fork legs, leading edges of the front guard and I might get some of the matt finish for the side panels.

When I redo it i'll try to take some photos, I'm no expert just a shmuck who's learnt from his mistakes.
Karnage - thanks very much for the information and installation play-by-play. Looks like dabbling in this isn't for the faint of heart. But the thought of this film (and maybe the sticker kit too) being in-place and done correctly is seriously appealing! Particularly with all the buzz about the paint on our SDR's being "soft" and easy to scratch.

I also like the idea of covering the headlight!

Looking forward to some photo's again...

WarBaby
Supporter
Supporter

Post by WarBaby » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:41 am

I ordered a 16-tooth, damped, countershaft sprocket from KTM. Almost all of my riding is done in mountain country and the 17/38 factory gearing is just too tall for my satisfaction. I'm looking forward to the regeared ride. :mrgreen:

Also on order:
BST wheels
Pirelli Supercorsa SP tires
KTM fender eliminator
KTM gas tank friction pads
KTM tail bag
R&G frame and axle sliders

These mods should keep me busy for a while... 8-)

WarBaby
Supporter
Supporter

Post by WarBaby » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:32 pm

I did a few more small things...added high-friction tank pads, a Ducati handlebar bag, a tail tidy and frame/axle slider spools for those pesky low-side crashes.
TankPad1.jpg
DucBarBag2.jpg
Tidy1.jpg
Sliders1.jpg
Sliders2.jpg
After the mods, a quick Dragon pass was in order... :mrgreen:
Gap_6-11-17_1.jpg
Gap_6-11-17_2.jpg
More mods coming very soon. :geek:

thumperbob2002
125cc
125cc
City: Easy Yorks

Post by thumperbob2002 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:27 pm

I have the r and g frame crash bungs and sometimes touch them with my knees which is a bit annoying.

WarBaby
Supporter
Supporter

Post by WarBaby » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:46 pm

thumperbob2002 wrote:I have the r and g frame crash bungs and sometimes touch them with my knees which is a bit annoying.
Yeah, I heard someone else say that. They do not bother me at all. I think it is about one's body type and riding posture/style. I'm 5'10" and can barely touch them if I try to. :)

WarBaby
Supporter
Supporter

Post by WarBaby » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:42 am

One solution for a GoPro camera mount. It mounts and unmounts in a few seconds. 8-)
GoPro3.jpg
Cheers!