build quality/fit & finish

Still the most important introductory info..
steve59
675cc
675cc
City: chicago
Year: 2010
Colour: Black

Re: build quality/fit & finish

Post by steve59 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:43 pm

I won't argue any points you make except i'm pretty sure the tuono doesn't come fitted with m50 brembo's. If you like the ape you need to get it, but coming here and trying to convince us we need one seems pointless and a bit insecure on your part.
Enjoy

zr1000a1
125cc
125cc
City: N/A
Year: 2008

Post by zr1000a1 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:21 am

steve59 wrote:I won't argue any points you make except i'm pretty sure the tuono doesn't come fitted with m50 brembo's...
And you are so wrong! Even RR (not Factory) Tuono comes with M50: http://www.apriliausa.com/motorcycles/2 ... r-abs.html (select "Specifications")

FRONT BRAKE: 330 mm floating double disc with aluminum carrier. Brembo M50 4-piston mono-block radial calipers. Radial pump and steel braided brake lines

JDS1290SDr
675cc
675cc
City: Edmonton
Year: 2015

Post by JDS1290SDr » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:39 am

Sometimes less is more. I was just working on my 2010 Multi today & it brought back some memories.
Functionally it really hasent let me down. Fit & finish WERE nice at one time. These plastic tanks sure have thrown the lines off in its last few yrs. Imbedded nuts in the tank that spin freely make taking the plastics off a PITA.
Ive worked on the 1290 off/on all winter. Ive had the tank, filter, brakes & wheels off numerous times.
Theres nothing wrong with the way my bike is put together. Others may be different.
I haven't owned a Tuono, Probably a nice bike. Brembo M50s wont make or break a bike. Ive had excellent braking with a set of Nissins off of a Honda on my Kawi. The original Tokicos weren't bad either, IMO. 320 mm vs 330 mm rotors,,,,, it doesn't matter. I could lock up the front wheel with 1 finger if it wasn't for the ABS.
Theres a few things that matter to me. The power, the price, & the style. The main one may be the price. The rest I can change if i want.
PRESENT STABLE
2015 Black SDR
2010 450 SXF
2010 450 XC-W Six days
2010 Ducati Multistrada
2010 Victory Cross Country
PAST
Way to many to mention

mintpaul
500cc
500cc
City: Brisbane
Year: 2014

Post by mintpaul » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:28 am

G-Day Gents,

I'm back after a couple of years of trying other birds which was fun but I'm looking to throw a leg over the 1290 again.

I just sold a tuono 1100 because i'm moving to NZ and getting a 2017 SDR in NZ made it easier.

I love the 1100 and I was very happy with the fit (felt like a 600) and the finish was great and I had no issues.
The only thing I don't like is the engine breaking off throttle around town. It can be fixed with a ecu flash but that can only be done by an Tuono guru in Italy and he is busy in the euro summer.

I love the new look of the 2017 SDR and now with the qs and a few upgrades it has enticed me back.

On the finish I think the Germans, Italians and English beat the Austrians especially when you compare the price but like all the comments here which I fully agree with is that engine and the fuel economy/range they get out of it is worth it.

Even if KTM updated there bolts with stainless or Ti ;) would make a big difference.

I remember seeing Kev's SDR when he swapped out his bolts with Titainum made a huge difference in the looks of the finish.

I will definitely be looking closer at the 17 1290 when I see on dealers floor.

George Wills
50cc
50cc
City: Florida
Year: 2016
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by George Wills » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:18 am

I have recently purchased a new 2016 model SDR, this is the fourth bike I have in my garage and the most expensive. It is fair to say that I am quite detailed and particular about the up keep of my bikes and I was very excited to receive my new SDR. Having only done around 150 miles on the bike I can already get a sense for the high regard this bike is given in terms of its usability and performance. However, when getting up close to the bike I see a number of quality and finishing issues particularly with the paintwork. I am extremely disappointed with these finishing issues as they should not be there on a bike of this quality and price point. The fuel tank and areas of the frame have particularly poor paintwork. When I was looking to purchase this bike I originally was looking at a used examples and noticed a similar defect on the fuel tank which i assumed was a particular issue with that bike, however now taking delivery of my own I see the same finishing issues. The general finishing quality does not match my Triumph Speed Triple. I also note front brake pad noise under light application which I am assuming will improve once bedded in? In this day and age of paint technology it is pretty poor to have these defects on such a bike and I have not noticed it on any other bike! That said the bike is brilliant in most other aspects, the low gear performance has already been mentioned a number of times and I understand that there is a dongle that helps improve this situation. I do think KTM should be pulled to task over this poor paint work finish as it really is disappointing and if I'm honest I don't know whether I can live with it!!

JAMSXR
125cc
125cc
City: Woking

Post by JAMSXR » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:56 pm

I viewed a 2017 2.0 in black today. It had under 300 miles but the quality of the paintwork was awful, it had lots of minor marks and the finish of the paint itself almost looked like it had been washed with a scouring pad.

Unfortunately it's typical for most bikes to have soft paint these days but this was particularly bad, perhaps it was a Friday afternoon job or the previous owner had been careless..

Gimlet
900cc
900cc
City: Dorset

Post by Gimlet » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:53 am

My 2016 SDR is coming up to 12,000 miles and it looks absolutely mint. The only blemish I can find is a small chip on the lacquer next to the oil filler cap. And the non-lacquered "Ready To Race" stickers on the sub-frame and the WP stickers on the forks have started to peel. Other than that the finish is immaculate.

JAMSXR
125cc
125cc
City: Woking

Post by JAMSXR » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:12 am

It's not put me off much as I've just ordered one in white/orange/gray. Black always shows up the slightest of marks, but the bike I saw was beyond acceptable.

megalord
500cc
500cc
City: london
Year: 2017

Post by megalord » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:50 pm

Just the whirl mark paint that bothers me then I ride it and all is forgotten.

Had punctures but probably due to a lot of filtering down the middle of wet roads, where all the rubbish accumulates.

steve59
675cc
675cc
City: chicago

Post by steve59 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:50 pm

Sounds like KTM needs to work on their QC, maybe keep the dirt bike guys on their side of the building and for the street bikes have a woman do the final inspection on these bikes. That said My black 2015 was as well done as my speed triple and my 2016 se is also top notch.
Enjoy