build quality/fit & finish

Still the most important introductory info..
JAMSXR
125cc
125cc
City: Woking
Year: 2008
Colour: Black

build quality/fit & finish

Post by JAMSXR » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:20 pm

Hi Chaps

Thinking of selling my Tuono 1100 for the 2017 1290 when it's available.

I love my Aprilia but the idea of all that grunt, and more, in a more comfortable and street-worthy package seems great. Especially if the 2017 bike has sorted electronics and a decent quickshifter.

I appreciate that all manufacturers have issues and some of the bad reports out there will be from early bikes, but I still have concerns about spending a significant amount of cash on a bike with a poor fit and finish.

If possible it would be great to hear owners thoughts on build quality and if the bike lives up to the price tag?

Cheers

HDKAWKTM
Supporter
Supporter
City: clemson
Year: 2015

Re: build quality/fit & finish

Post by HDKAWKTM » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:14 pm

Mine is a 2015 and I think the fit and finish is as good as anything out. I have a 2013 Kawasaki Concours 14 and I bought it brand new as well and its just as good as it. The KTM is a minimalist type of bike. Sure there is not much there for 15k but I would think they have a much higher labor cost in Austria and there is not as many built compared to a big company like the big 4 or Harley for example. Its just a fun brutish powerful bike that just about anyone would enjoy. I am 58 and have owned many bikes in the past 44 years of riding and this bike is just plain fun to ride. The engine is just amazing. Hell I like to just stand back and admire it, with a beer in my hand of course. :mrgreen:
Current Stable: 2015 SDR, 2013 Kawasaki Concours 14, 2011 Harley Ultra Limited "Clemson Tigers NCAA Football National Champs" :mrgreen:

mrossk
500cc
500cc
City: santa fe

Post by mrossk » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:38 am

I agree that fit and finish are good. I've had a few little niggles, but nothing major. And after the initial hubabaloo diminishes, I bet you'll find the dealers are negotiating. I got my '15 for nearly $2k off sticker last February.
Funny though, if there were an Aprilia dealer closer to me I'd probably own the Tuono. Yes, less comfortable, somewhat less torquey, but nothing sounds as good as the V4. That said, I've put 9,500 miles on my 1290 in 8 months and have really been enjoying it. It is more user friendly than the Tuono, not as hard edged.

JDS1290SDr
675cc
675cc
City: Edmonton

Post by JDS1290SDr » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:10 am

Ive only put 1200 km on mine. Bought it used. Its a brute. "The Beast" is a spot on perfect name for this bike.
Im 58 yrs old as well. Ive owned over 40 MCs in my yrs. Is the 1290 SDR the best bike in the world? Probably not. It is the fun est bike Ive owned. Taking the title away from my 2011 ZX10R track/race bike. The Multistrada was a close 2nd.
Is it worth 18 ish G here in Canada? Hmmm. Id say its priced very close to the competition.
A few things I don't like. The standards everyone complains about. Adjustability of the TC on the fly. No pre-load adjustment on the front forks. Its not as comfy as my Multi, but its a different bike.
After I get a few miles on her I might change my tune. So far its a great bike & I think KTM did a good job.
You understand 99.9% of the feed back your going to get on this forum is going to be positive, of course. :)
PRESENT STABLE
2015 Black SDR
2010 450 SXF
2010 450 XC-W Six days
2010 Ducati Multistrada
2010 Victory Cross Country
PAST
Way to many to mention

Markey
250cc
250cc
City: Swansea
Year: 2016
Colour: White
Model: SMT

Post by Markey » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:33 am

Well if it helps, Im on my 3rd "Beast" through choice obviously

Bike gets better and better every time i ride it and i won't be looking at anything in the near future to replace my new S.E

No problems whatsoever for me apart from the front disc issue which was sorted by KTM with new Discs

Go for it, i promise you won't regret it ;)

Gimlet
900cc
900cc
City: Dorset
Year: 2010

Post by Gimlet » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:18 am

No fit or finish problems here. Bought mine in March this year and done just over 8000 miles to date. I have a slight groan on the front discs but not enough to worry about. Only issue I've had was a failed clutch slave. Replaced under warranty without drama. Front brake pads are nearly gone and the chain has a couple of broken O rings, but no tight spots and I've only had to adjust it once.
All in all I can't complain. It still looks brand new and its quite an easy bike to clean. There are no really inaccessible crud traps and its not difficult to keep it immaculate. I just wish KTM would abandon their obsession with torx head bolts and use stainless hex or allen heads. No corrosion on mine yet but as with all KTMs fasteners you have to keep on top of them or they will go brown. I would recommend a rad guard. Evotech looks the best.

The SDR is pricey because its not a platform build. It was a ground-up new bike with little but the engine cases sourced from existing models. Those bikes are expensive to develop and produce. As the SDR has now itself become the platform for other models - the GT and the new 1290 Adventure range - that may help keep prices stable in the future. We can only hope. Bearing this in mind and the fact that you almost never need to pay list price for a new KTM if you shop clever, the SDR isn't priced that far off the mark against competitors. Its £1500 cheaper than the Ducati Monster 1200R and I know which bike I'd rather have.

As far as the electronics go, just buy the dongle. I've had my MTC turned off for ages now. It liberates the full power of the engine and IMO isn't needed. The gearbox is a little clunky and it builds revs so fast a decent up and down quick-shifter would be welcome. Surely that'll come with the 2017 bike. I think its due a suspension upgrade too. The OE settings are way too soft and forks with no preload adjustment is not really excusable on a bike of this calibre, especially when the company has a top-end suspension brand in-house. The suspension isn't bad, but its more basic than it should be and it needs setting up. The next SDR should have a semi-active system like the GT's, bringing it into line with the BMW S1000R and the Factory Tuono.

When all's said and done though and small niggles aside, its an astounding bike to ride and there's nothing else remotely like it. Everything else I've ridden feels limp in comparison. The only trouble is, once you've owned one, what on earth do your buy next?

Bootworks
Supporter
Supporter
City: Livermore California
Year: 2014

Post by Bootworks » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:02 pm

Well said, Gimlet.

JAMSXR
125cc
125cc

Post by JAMSXR » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:10 am

Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated.

I don't nessisarly think it's going to be a better bike than the Tuono, but I do think it's more suited to road riding due to the better ergonomics and longer travel.

Hopefully I'll get to ride the 2017 bike early next year so I will report back after having a play.

aw113sgte
125cc
125cc
City: Stoddard

Post by aw113sgte » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:12 am

JAMSXR wrote:Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated.

I don't nessisarly think it's going to be a better bike than the Tuono, but I do think it's more suited to road riding due to the better ergonomics and longer travel.

Hopefully I'll get to ride the 2017 bike early next year so I will report back after having a play.
I'm 6'5" and it's the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden (sportbike and supermoto background). While the wind protection isn't perfect, I really have no issues with it on 300 mile rides. On bumpy roads, the "comfort" setting works great. I normally have it in the sport setting though. It's a very capable bike, I use the all the tire, while hanging off and the bike works great. I really have no complaints except that you can feel the weight compared to the duke 690.

NiteKreeper
900cc
900cc
City: Sydney

Post by NiteKreeper » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:43 am

aw113sgte wrote:I really have no complaints except that you can feel the weight compared to the duke 690.
Haha my other bike is a 2008 GSX650F, which comes in around 230Kg - compared to the old girl, the 1290 feels like I could pick it up with one hand...

OZsuperduker
500cc
500cc
City: Melbourne

Post by OZsuperduker » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:26 am

From somebody that owns both 2016 Aprilia RSV4 RF, brother with a Tuono 1100 factory and a 2015 1290R my honest opinion is that current model 1290 SDR quality is average at best. I hope the new bike is a major improvement in fit and finish department.

What makes a difference in European finished bike is attention to detail and KTM is not quite there yet. They do come from the dirt and my 1190 Adv R is also a beast and poor finish but it's not why you buy a KTM. Smiles smiles smiles.

Having said that you very quickly stop giving shit about quality or finish because the moment you mount this beast. You will smile all day every day. Even more than your Tuono.

My honest opinion was that the current v 1.0 bike had better ergo's than the Aprilia, fits taller people like me better, great torque, great street bike, excellent fuel economy!

On the track the Tuono is a better bike no doubt! Even with my Rottweiler modified and PC v with auto tune the Tuono was a better bike on the track. Super Duke better on the street. Tuono is also a smaller bike and not as good for taller blokes.

Anyway long story short you are very unlikely to be disappointed with the new bike. Yet to see it in the flesh, but I already have money down for one to add to the stable

Hope some of this is useful. It wasn't meant to flame, just my opinion from somebody that has both.

Note: RSV4RF different conversation and SD not in the same league

Stark
Supporter
Supporter
City: sydney

Post by Stark » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:41 pm

OZsuperduker wrote:From somebody that owns both 2016 Aprilia RSV4 RF, brother with a Tuono 1100 factory and a 2015 1290R my honest opinion is that current model 1290 SDR quality is average at best. I hope the new bike is a major improvement in fit and finish department.

What makes a difference in European finished bike is attention to detail and KTM is not quite there yet. They do come from the dirt and my 1190 Adv R is also a beast and poor finish but it's not why you buy a KTM. Smiles smiles smiles.

Having said that you very quickly stop giving shit about quality or finish because the moment you mount this beast. You will smile all day every day. Even more than your Tuono.

My honest opinion was that the current v 1.0 bike had better ergo's than the Aprilia, fits taller people like me better, great torque, great street bike, excellent fuel economy!

On the track the Tuono is a better bike no doubt! Even with my Rottweiler modified and PC v with auto tune the Tuono was a better bike on the track. Super Duke better on the street. Tuono is also a smaller bike and not as good for taller blokes.

Anyway long story short you are very unlikely to be disappointed with the new bike. Yet to see it in the flesh, but I already have money down for one to add to the stable

Hope some of this is useful. It wasn't meant to flame, just my opinion from somebody that has both.

Note: RSV4RF different conversation and SD not in the same league
This.

I concur fully with what OZ had to say.

A brief glance at the bike and it soon becomes apparent that the standard of quality is not up to scratch with other premium motorcycles- And to some extent, some non-premium motorcycles.

Of course I can only give critique on the 2015 standard edition SDR. As stated by OZ, this is likely to improve with newer revisions of the bike. The feedback I can offer might as well hold no weight at all as it does not reflect what you will see on the updated model (or at least I hope so).

One stipulation I would like to add is that whoever does the paint work on the first gen SDR's should be fired immediately. Absolutely horrendous paint work. I would like to think it's an isolated issue, but after seeing the same shit finish on new showroom SDR's I can't imagine that it is. Also I would not disregard the possibility of a bad batch of these, which seem to be prevalent in NSW, Australia.

It's entirely possible that the inferior finish models will not enter the UK and instead will be reserved for countries like Australia, where people seem content with sub-par quality- with the exception being myself in that regard.

For your sake, I hope there has been substantial improvements over the 14-15 models. Good luck!

HDKAWKTM
Supporter
Supporter
City: clemson

Post by HDKAWKTM » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:08 am

Must be a batch thing since the paint and finish on my 2015 looks perfect to me. I do have nearly 60 year old eyes :mrgreen: but imho pretty darn good. Is the finish Harley good, maybe not but no one has the deep paint color that comes out of the Company imho. But Harleys vtwin cant hold a light to this beast :shock:
Current Stable: 2015 SDR, 2013 Kawasaki Concours 14, 2011 Harley Ultra Limited "Clemson Tigers NCAA Football National Champs" :mrgreen:

OZsuperduker
500cc
500cc
City: Melbourne

Post by OZsuperduker » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:56 am

Couple of examples of a poor product.

1. Took my seat off to get to the battery. The seat staples have all dug into the tank paint so deep that it actually damaged the tank.

2. Of you take the side covers off and look underneath. There are surface areas of the tank that are unpainted intentionally.

Waited 3.5 months for a replacement tank. When it finally arrived from Austria the dealer called me and told me not to come down as the replacement tank was worse than what I had on the bike. Sent me pics to prove it.

My friend has a black 15 plated model (mine was orange when they first come out) and he has the same exact issues with his bike.

Not to mention the issues with rear wheel free play that took ages to sort out.

If it was priced at $20K Aud I would have no complaints as it isn't competing with premium products. But at $25K + they charge for it KTM is still playing catchup.

If it wasn't for that motor, they wouldn't sell half as many!

Stark
Supporter
Supporter
City: sydney

Post by Stark » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:58 am

OZsuperduker wrote:Couple of examples of a poor product.

Waited 3.5 months for a replacement tank. When it finally arrived from Austria the dealer called me and told me not to come down as the replacement tank was worse than what I had on the bike. Sent me pics to prove it.

I find this interesting. The exact same thing happened to me, except instead of my dealer telling me about the replacement being worse than the original, they fitted it anyway.
Yep. The bike is undeserving of such a great engine. It was the sole reason I bought it. ;)

JAMSXR
125cc
125cc

Post by JAMSXR » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:24 am

Thanks for the info and sharing your experiences. I really don't like the idea of spending £15K on a bike with poor build quality, but to be fair, all manufacturers experience quality issues, and it's how the dealer network supports you that can make or break the experience.

I am hoping the 2017 model has an improved the finish, I'm certainly looking forward to getting to ride one!

ilmothefinn
500cc
500cc
City: Pori

Post by ilmothefinn » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:34 am

OZsuperduker wrote:Couple of examples of a poor product.

1. Took my seat off to get to the battery. The seat staples have all dug into the tank paint so deep that it actually damaged the tank.

2. Of you take the side covers off and look underneath. There are surface areas of the tank that are unpainted intentionally.

My friend has a black 15 plated model (mine was orange when they first come out) and he has the same exact issues with his bike.

Not to mention the issues with rear wheel free play that took ages to sort out.

If it was priced at $20K Aud I would have no complaints as it isn't competing with premium products. But at $25K + they charge for it KTM is still playing catchup.

The seat staples were just as yours on opur 2014 and 2015... Hammered them deeper to the seat and covered 3M paint-protection tape to various places on the tank... Now it looks really home-made! (But it's mine! If I ever buy a new one, I sure will take some heavy tools in the dealer's shop and go it through there before I accept the bike! You know, you asked it you got it...) Taillights were also broken as new... Scratches here and there... on the 2014 the retainig nut that is spotwelded (or should be!) on the frame for the lower chainguard (61304076000 CHAIN SLIDING BLOCK-FRAME) broke loose when unassembling the slider... Really not confidence-building - but they haven't left us stranded on the road yet and they are fun to ride! :lol:

So, when purchasing this bike better be prepared to do something yourself too, it's an adventure itself!

But they COULD have done changes! Will go and see the new 2017 after a few weeks from now... Maybe I take a hammer with me? :D
Do like the others do, you end up being like the others, so... Well, seems to be a lot of KTM riders around.

ilmothefinn
500cc
500cc
City: Pori

Post by ilmothefinn » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:41 am

JAMSXR wrote:Thanks for the info and sharing your experiences. I really don't like the idea of spending £15K on a bike with poor build quality, but to be fair, all manufacturers experience quality issues, and it's how the dealer network supports you that can make or break the experience.

I am hoping the 2017 model has an improved the finish, I'm certainly looking forward to getting to ride one!
Yes! Most important thing is the attitude those people there at dealer have! If they know everything and will not listen to you, that's a bad sign... And the guy who is responsible of the service work, you might want to see him too. If he is just a seasonal short time guy with dirty overalls forget it... If the garage floor is a mess and tools a dirty mess I would go look some other place! If everything looks to be in order, clean and tidy and there are bikes under work and service people not swearing and working with hammers, maybe that is good! :D
Do like the others do, you end up being like the others, so... Well, seems to be a lot of KTM riders around.

steve59
675cc
675cc
City: chicago
Year: 2010

Post by steve59 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:15 am

My model is a 2015 and I don't have any of the issues posted, well maybe a slightly warped rotor that most likely came from me going into a turn too hot and squeezing the lever to the stops. 8300 miles last season and I can't imagine replacing my SDR with anything? maybe the gt. I can spend all day on the back roads in 3rd gear 30-95 mph is about perfect for the twisties. What other bike with such a strong midrange rewards you with so much power on top also? 1 of the other surprises is for a naked with no screen the buffeting isn't that bad. lose the cat and while it don't sound like a v-4 it still sounds good.
Enjoy

Tancakar
675cc
675cc
City: London

Post by Tancakar » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:46 am

2017 Tuono has all the blipper and cruise control, also m50 brembos, you should definetly see that as well. Ktm has have an amazing record of quality in these bikes unfortunately.

i have GT now but used to have 2015 Tuono 1100 RR sold it but you wont be getting smooth V4 , Superduke is fun bike but no where near as refine as what new tuono was.

I guess only positive over Tuono, superduke got better milage per gallon. thats all.