Got rear ended, didn't die, need a footpeg

Still the most important introductory info..
Mick-e
50cc
50cc
City: Oakland
Year: 2014

Got rear ended, didn't die, need a footpeg

Post by Mick-e » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:16 pm

Saturday was my wedding anniversary.
I convinced the wife to take the KTM into the city to meet a friend.
She hadn't been on the bike in awhile, and was nervous about it.
So in an effort not to scare her I was riding conservatively.
Now I don't ride like a scalded cat, but I stay on the aggressive side especially on the freeway around the SF Bay Area. It's safer to be aggressive, but today I was trying to take it easy, and on a transition from one freeway to another where traffic slows down because people in the US don't know how to merge we got hit from behind.
With a good amount of luck and skill we didn't crash.
The car hit us on the right rear, and just under her foot taking the foot peg off. If the cars bumper had been just a little higher that would have been a direct impact on her ankle.
Yes she was wearing her motorcycle boots. There's a scuff on her boot (which is a Dainese ladies boot with proper ankle armor) where the car made impact with the shoe as it lifted her foot off the peg.
We got a bit sideways but I kept it upright. (Thank you 15 years of roadracing in the AFM)
See attached of where the car hit us.
My Arrow exhaust no longer has the pretty yellow badge.
I thought I'd ask if any has a passenger footpeg, or the whole exhaust hanger they might want to get rid of before I buy anything from KTM.
Hopefully I can get the wife back on the bike after I get a new footpeg :o
Attachments
Impact zone.jpg

TCC
125cc
125cc
City: Sydney
Year: 2017

Re: Got rear ended, didn't die, need a footpeg

Post by TCC » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:03 am

Jeez, sorry to hear of your incident, sounds like you dodged a bullet, thankfully neither of you were hurt but probably didn't help your wife's confidence going pillion.
Good luck fixing the bike up.

Bootworks
Supporter
Supporter
City: Livermore California
Year: 2014

Re: Got rear ended, didn't die, need a footpeg

Post by Bootworks » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:00 am

Lucky! Glad to hear your lady and you are OK. I ride the same roads and traffic patterns have changed during covid-19. There's a big surge in traffic in the past week and cagers are a bit more unpredictable. You've got to be on your game.