Oh god, what have I done?! (Sydney, AU)

Still the most important introductory info..
NiteKreeper
900cc
900cc
City: Sydney
Year: 2016

Oh god, what have I done?! (Sydney, AU)

Post by NiteKreeper » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:52 am

I've just dropped the deposit on a 2016 SE, and ordered the tail tidy too (cos DAMN the stock fender is ugly!).
Hopefully picking it up on Wednesday morning, which gives me a week to put 1000Km on it and have the first service completed, before our annual trip to the Philip Island MotoGP.
I can't wait until I've developed enough confidence to turn off TCS...

Stark
Supporter
Supporter
City: sydney
Colour: Black

Re: Oh god, what have I done?! (Sydney, AU)

Post by Stark » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:04 am

Gratz on your purchase! I actually had an inverse reaction to the bikes TC, I find it to be quite dangerous. Bike is 1000% more fun without the crappy TC on this thing. Or maybe it's just me..

In my mind TC systems in general are not conducive to improving riding ability- instead you will wire your brain to rely on artificial feedback from the machine. My bike bogs like crazy with TC, but everything is fine without TC under the same conditions.

Very intrusive TC on this thing.

Gimlet
900cc
900cc
City: Dorset
Year: 2010

Post by Gimlet » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:43 am

You've done the right thing Nitekreeper, that's what you've done. Get the dealer to fit the race dongle while they're at it so you can keep the MTC off.
I've got mine permanently switched off as well. You still get the rider modes and ABS if you want them but the power delivery is unadulterated.
This is the first bike I've ever owned with TC so I've never developed the habit of relying on electronics. If you haven't either, you won't miss them.

NiteKreeper
900cc
900cc

Post by NiteKreeper » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:03 pm

Gimlet wrote:This is the first bike I've ever owned with TC so I've never developed the habit of relying on electronics. If you haven't either, you won't miss them.
Nope, never had TC or ABS on anything I've ever ridden.
But then again, I've never ridden anything that "needed" them, either...

Tacho will open up for me today, so I'll leave TC on while I feel it out; I've already had the front lift with it on...
Then, I'll see how I feel tomorrow on the way to Melbourne.

Somefun
250cc
250cc
City: Connecticut
Year: 2015

Post by Somefun » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:43 am

Stark wrote:Gratz on your purchase! I actually had an inverse reaction to the bikes TC, I find it to be quite dangerous. Bike is 1000% more fun without the crappy TC on this thing. Or maybe it's just me..

In my mind TC systems in general are not conducive to improving riding ability- instead you will wire your brain to rely on artificial feedback from the machine. My bike bogs like crazy with TC, but everything is fine without TC under the same conditions.

Very intrusive TC on this thing.
Stark well said! I rode with the TC on day one and that was the last day I did... I added the dongle after the first 150 miles and never have looked back, congrats man!

Gimlet
900cc
900cc
City: Dorset
Year: 2010

Post by Gimlet » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:16 am

I had the dongle fitted by the dealer before the bike was collected. get them to bung one on while they're fitting the tail tidy. They'll probably do you a deal. I agree that the TC garbles the feed-back. With it on you've no idea what's actually happening at the back end. I don't like that.

Rolo
50cc
50cc
Year: 2014
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by Rolo » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:17 am

Excellent move. I have never had a bike with electronics before my recently purchased SDR and I must say that I am unsure how I feel about it. I loved that my old bike had no electronics and relied on my inputs. I also like that it may 'save' me a drop at some stage. I have never binned by bike from a highside or spinning the rear out and usually just feel for it gradually.

After having the dongle on a while now, what do you think of it, having the TC off, that is?
Keeping it unreal.

Aussie Dave
990cc
990cc
City: Brisbane
Year: 2017

Post by Aussie Dave » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:01 am

Cheers Rolo,....... these guys did all this back in 2016...... maybe they have moved to another forum or a new bike or ??

I don't know about the SDR, but the TC on my SDGT is perfect..... so much so, that I haven't thought to turn it off to see what it's like without it. I don't fk about either..... happy to give it 9k or 10k rpms and warp past traffic on lonely back roads etc....... I like the way the TC just comes in to keep the front wheel hovering off the road too....... one day I'll think to try it, but I'm so happy with the performance as is (stock except for the K&N filter I installed in January) I don't need to go looking for anything to bragg about :lol: .

Your SDR gives 150hp at the rear wheel (which means it makes 170hp at the crankshaft)..... that's heaps more than most previous bikes ever made (like my 05Blackbird... I thought it was pretty quick and it was only good for 130rwhp....... ;) ).

Like you, I never tempt fate with a highside..... but I'm old skool, and know how to ride proper using my grey matter....... but the electronics are there to save my ass on a slippery corner........

Ride it like you stole it..... if it doesn't like traffic, or you think it is a bit tall geared, you have options - I changed the rear sprocket to a 40t (from oem 38) and it was better (the SDR & GT have identical gearing and final drive ratios), then I tried a 16t front with the 40 & 38 rear and I like my GT a whole lot more for every day Aussie applications...... 130kph in 6th is now 5000rpms(with 16/40) and 110 in 6th is 4250.... 100kph in 5th is 4750, and 3rd or 4th are both good at 60kph in traffic (no hunting or changing to 2nd to prevent lugging). The 1290 likes to spin over 4500rpms but with 16/40 it will run well (on light throttle) down to 3k rpms...... but it will never lug a gear happily...... it likes to run wild...... :D

See how you go - if you don't run O2 dongles, you could try a washer/spacer under the O2 sensors to smooth out the low rpm fueling - it works (I have a 1.5mm Cu washer under mine).... the O2 removal dongles work better though, and reduce header temps (but increase cat temps)....... ;) . The freight from Rotweiler is expensive so I bought mine from Greece (Smart Moto) and they just post them out ($50 dongles +postage).... but I was trialing the washers and haven't bothered to go back to the dongles.

:mrgreen:

PS I run 35f 37r tyre pressures.... not the nanny state 36/42 in the manual...... that helps a lot with grip and doesn't affect tyre life..... got 15,000kms out of the oem AngelGt's and have 6000kms on my Road5's so far, and they don't even look worn...... met a guy with same 17GT as me, who uses all the tyre. He gets 15,000kms from his Road5's with tread to the indicators and the grip from the Michelins is FAB :D .
Current delights...1290GT-2017, CBR1100XX-2005

Prev loves...Capo1200TP-014, CBR11xx-002, 2xFZR1000genisis-94, FJ1200-89, FJ1100-84, XS1100P, VF1000F-83, CX500, VF750S, KZ1000J1-81, KZ1000ST-79, CB750F2-77, CB360T-74, CB175.. started it all in 1974 ;)