900cc
900cc
City: Adelaide
Year: 2012
Colour: Black
Model: SMT

Seat Mod (take ][)

Post by limeyduffa » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:34 am

I love my SMT, but the seat has been a real bug bear. The original seat shape prevented me from positioning in my normal riding position, which is further back than most people. Shortly after I got my SMT (nearly 2 years ago), I got the seat modified by a local trimmer.

He did a good job, but added an extra "feature", which was in the best of intentions, but was ergonomically bad for me. First up, he put a 1cm layer on top of the seat which raised the seat height by 1cm. Since I am 170cm (5'7"), this didn't help much. He shaped a very steep gradient in the seat that put pressure on my stuffed knees and caused (I can't find any other way to describe it) my nuts to get sucked up my arse when I gradually slid down the seat after an hours riding in the twists. This as you can imagine effected my riding a bit !. After 1 and a bit years I had had enough and decided to mod the seat myself. It was no good taking it to another trimmer who had no clue (not to be disrespectful, but seats are a very personal thing and most of them don't ride). So, I ripped off the cover and attacked the seat with a Dremel planer...

Note: Looks like the SMT seat has a stuck on mod, because when I pulled off the seat it didn't look like the foam had been cut (by the original Trimmer).. infact where I expected it to be cut, it had writing stamped on the foam (see 2nd pic above). The original trimmer probably just pulled off the mod (easy job). Being a German/Austrian design, I'm guessing that the SMT seat is an SM seat with a mod glued onto it (clever).

After the mod, I fastened the cover using thumb tacks. At this stage I didn't know if I needed more mods, but after a ride, I discovered that the 1st attempt was perfect ! ;). When I roll on the throttle, my bum is in the right posy for the rise to stop my bum sliding back. It's perfect ! :)

After that, I took the seat to PJ Trim and Marine Uphoistery in Elizabeth North for the cover to be properly stapled on. They used stainless steal staples to prevent rusting. The job costed $20 and did a bloody good job :). I wanted stainless (Monul ?) staples, as I didn't want the staples to rust. I tried to source some, but they are too expense for my small job.

Before:

After:

J

Yoozy
Supporter
Supporter
City: Extreme Mancunian.
Year: 2011

Re: Seat Mod (take ][)

Post by Yoozy » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:09 pm

Nice one. I know how much a shite seat gets to you. I tried everything on the Tuono and nothing was ever any good. Came to the conclusion that single seats are just shit. The Ktm gel one seems to suit me and my fat arse :)
A gut full of ale and a head full of magic.

WWW.TUONOWORLD.COM

limeyduffa
900cc
900cc
City: Adelaide
Year: 2012

Re: Seat Mod (take ][)

Post by limeyduffa » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:34 am

Thanks 8-). The seat probably isn't that comfortable for long distance since it's a bit thin where I shaped it, but I don't go on long rides.