Yet another seat thread

ogden
City: London
Year: 2011

Yet another seat thread

Post by ogden » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:07 pm

I spent five hours on my SMT on Sunday and by the time I got home I felt like I'd been gangraped by a herd of elephants. The seat is a plank! It's wide, sculpted and supportive, but it's not exactly soft. I've sat on church pews with more give.

I suspect I may just not really be used to it - I've generally done my distance work on sports bikes, so my weight's been fairly evenly distributed between wrists, arse and feet, with all the aches and pains that implies. The upright position on the SMT means all my weight is on my backside, so while my neck, wrists and knees are grateful, my bum is deeply, deeply unhappy. The only bike I've had a with a riding position like this the Duke 2, and that was like flossing my anus with a razorblade after more than an hour in the saddle.

Does it bed in over time, am I likely to get used to it, or should I think about looking for a replacement (seat, that is, not bike)? I get the impression the KTM gel seat is a step in the wrong direction. Or is it? Anyone in the London/Surrey/Hampshire area got one I could borrow for a day?

Or should I just go the Fray Bentos route and add extra padding by installments?
ogden
S1000XR | 990SMT | YZF-R6 #7

https://storify.com/eldaifo/istanbul-and-back

Rangoonruns
990cc
990cc
City: Wolverhampton
Year: 2010
Colour: Silver

Re: Yet another seat thread

Post by Rangoonruns » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:03 pm

i have an arse like coco but hairy,
cocoass.jpg
so the standard seat is fine for me. i remember it being fine from the off though, so i guess it will not give??
give a cheap pair of cyclin shorts a go before you spend
here is coco's ass

Stormin
900cc
900cc
City: Ballymena

Post by Stormin » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:23 pm

give a cheap pair of cyclin shorts a go before you spend

Tried that myself and couldn't make up my mind what was the most uncomfortable,a sore arse or me gonads stuck together and welded to my legs! :lol:

Rangoonruns
990cc
990cc
City: Wolverhampton

Post by Rangoonruns » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:30 pm

stormin, if they are stuck to your leg you must have shaved em.lol :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BearG
500cc
500cc
City: Brisbane
Colour: Black

Post by BearG » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:17 am

Rangoonruns wrote:i have an arse like coco but hairy
hahahah nice pic!

I'm tempted to get my seat done as well, but hopefully via a local mob.

Making sure u move about during the ride helps a lot, but it's hard to remember when you're in the thick of it.

Conejo
250cc
250cc
City: La Quinta, So Cal
Year: 2012
Colour: White

Post by Conejo » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:41 pm

ogden wrote:I spent five hours on my SMT on Sunday and by the time I got home I felt like I'd been gangraped by a herd of elephants. The seat is a plank! It's wide, sculpted and supportive, but it's not exactly soft. I've sat on church pews with more give.

I suspect I may just not really be used to it - I've generally done my distance work on sports bikes, so my weight's been fairly evenly distributed between wrists, arse and feet, with all the aches and pains that implies. The upright position on the SMT means all my weight is on my backside, so while my neck, wrists and knees are grateful, my bum is deeply, deeply unhappy. The only bike I've had a with a riding position like this the Duke 2, and that was like flossing my anus with a razorblade after more than an hour in the saddle.

Does it bed in over time, am I likely to get used to it, or should I think about looking for a replacement (seat, that is, not bike)? I get the impression the KTM gel seat is a step in the wrong direction. Or is it? Anyone in the London/Surrey/Hampshire area got one I could borrow for a day?

Or should I just go the Fray Bentos route and add extra padding by installments?

Ditto on everything you said. Ditto, because while I'm not capable of putting into words how miserable I felt. It's great to find someone who is, and, has already said it. Now, excuse me while I go wipe the laughing tears from my eyes. Thanks mate!!
Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

ogden
City: London

Post by ogden » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:38 pm

If it's any consolation, I got used to it. My arse certainly hasn't got any bigger in the last twelve months, so maybe the seat got softer. Either way, I've been able to do full back-to-back days in the saddle since without any major complaints.

Either that or the endless buffeting from the shit screen takes my mind off it. ;)
ogden
S1000XR | 990SMT | YZF-R6 #7

https://storify.com/eldaifo/istanbul-and-back

Ktkeith

Post by Ktkeith » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:59 pm

I bought the KTM Ergo seat right from the off and I'm a skinny beggar. Done 4.5 hrs only stopping for fuel with no great discomfort.

adcolor
Supporter
Supporter
City: Denver

Post by adcolor » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:22 am

You vill feel zee pain and you vill come to like it!
You vill never want to leave your motorcykle ever again.
That is all.

So, my Triumph TBS had a similar end (all jokes are intended). Though it came from the other direction: marshmellow. 100 miles max.

Had Rick Mayer build me a new one. The first one was too soft. Fixed that after a 2500 mile 2 weeks trip.

Then I realized I wanted more leg room (should have had the seat raised an inch). I couldn't tell because my ass hurt so bad so soon.
Mods: arrow exhaust, 2nd flies removed, plugged air injection caps, JC30-80 air filter, 44T sprocket, 80w high beam, short levers, weighted bar ends, Rox risers, remapped ecu, heated grips, horn, radiator screen, crash bar, skid plate, backrest.

Scutty
990cc
990cc
City: Guildford

Post by Scutty » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:33 am

Og

You can pop down and try my gel seat if you like - I have doen 11hr days in the saddle and wouldn't got back to the standard seat (although I do want to try an SM seat)
2014 KMT 690 Enduro R and 2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R

Because you can never have too much of a great thing!

kevxtx
Year: 2014

Post by kevxtx » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:35 am

I got rid of my G string SMR seat at delivery & have never had any problems with the SMT seat, it is quite comfortable compared to my past few bikes.

Scutty
990cc
990cc
City: Guildford

Post by Scutty » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:02 am

Kev - is the SMR seat not good then? I liked the look of the extra height and being able to move back and forth.
2014 KMT 690 Enduro R and 2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R

Because you can never have too much of a great thing!

kevxtx

Post by kevxtx » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:02 am

Not very comfortable for me.

Bootworks
Supporter
Supporter
City: Livermore California

Post by Bootworks » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:57 pm

It's KTM's DNA: Why invest factory resources on a decent saddle when you're supposed to stand on the pegs most of the time?

My stock seat was a joke, looked like an afterthought. I sent it to Sargent (custom division) and what I got back is a true 800 mile-a-day saddle, leveled and trimmed correctly, "Atomic Foam" and "Carbon Fx" cover. It wasn't particularly expensive but it has made a world of difference over the past 20K miles. They build it on your stock pan, which is not the finest example of fine quality and craftsmanship: The front load-bearing waffle posts have deformed and crushed, the silly tank ears to engage and re-install the seat are Fisher-Price quality... The whole stock setup looks like the cheapest afterthought on what is, otherwise, an insanely great motorcycle. Here's Sargent's info: http://www.sargentcycle.com/Custom-Seat ... /Overview/

Another option (not far from my home) is 'Renazco', a real looker and great quality, although they don't dish their saddle in quite the same manner so it doesn't have the same secure "backstop" as the 'Sargent': http://www.renazco.com/pricing.cfm Great if you fancy real suede leather!

Good luck with your quest!

PS: In all fairness KTM is getting the idea on their newest bikes: The latest 690 Duke comes equipped!

Arsey51
125cc
125cc
City: Fort Worth

Post by Arsey51 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:30 am

Has anyone tried the Corbin? Pricing starts at $500 US, but it looks comfy....
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from poor judgement.

I have lots of experience.

Conejo
250cc
250cc

Post by Conejo » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:40 am

Arsey51 wrote:Has anyone tried the Corbin? Pricing starts at $500 US, but it looks comfy....
Have about 500 miles on a Corbin. Generally takes 2000 miles minimum for them to break you in :lol: . So far I'm liking it.

Arsey51
125cc
125cc
City: Fort Worth

Post by Arsey51 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:50 am

Conejo wrote:
Arsey51 wrote:Has anyone tried the Corbin? Pricing starts at $500 US, but it looks comfy....
Have about 500 miles on a Corbin. Generally takes 2000 miles minimum for them to break you in :lol: . So far I'm liking it.
That's good to hear! Thanks!
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from poor judgement.

I have lots of experience.

adcolor
Supporter
Supporter
City: Denver

Post by adcolor » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:38 am

I recall feedback on the triumphrat forum a few years ago, as well as a close friend and his Goldwing. His case and what he had read on his GW forums all matched: If you want anything other than the most basic and standard seat not in a hurry you are in good hands. If you ant anything else, you will have to dog them for schedule, and for any re-do.
Mods: arrow exhaust, 2nd flies removed, plugged air injection caps, JC30-80 air filter, 44T sprocket, 80w high beam, short levers, weighted bar ends, Rox risers, remapped ecu, heated grips, horn, radiator screen, crash bar, skid plate, backrest.

Conejo
250cc
250cc

Post by Conejo » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:15 am

Saddles/seats......who's the best?

One thing I've learned about saddle makers over the years. All who have built a name for themselves will insist they are the best.

Truth is, only your a.. knows who's best.

So, if at all possible, set on as many different brands as possible before you lay down the cash. jmy2c

ohpyramids
250cc
250cc
City: Los Angeles

Yet another seat thread

Post by ohpyramids » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:30 pm

I had a sargent on my ducati. It was a slippery mess. Very tough, but at least it was flat. Also the build quality and fit of my stock seat cowl onto the sargent was a joke. In the end I spend less money on a ducati touring seat made out of dense foam and it was brilliant.

Read tons of great reviews on renzaco seats but never tried one personally. I would never have my bike down for a few weeks to send my seat pan away.

The smt seat is fine for me on 300-500 mile days, however on long trips i also wear a pair of bike shorts from Klim with a gel pad in the crotch. I am also looking into one of the airhawk seat pads as I've heard glowing reviews from my smr commuter friends who use them. Much less pressure on the prostate.