Got Renazco seat for KTM 990 SMT!

milq
500cc
500cc
City: Fairfield
Year: 2010

Re: Got Renazco seat for KTM 990 SMT!

Post by milq » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:17 pm

jonty wrote: For the record, the standard seat is fine.
If you arent comfy, I`d suggest you look at how you are sitting on the bike.

Then again, easier to blame the seat than admit we all need a few lessons on riding positioning etc?...eh?!
we'll have to disagree on this one. I just did a 500 + mile trip and I promise that I sat on the seat in every fashion possible, including standing on the pegs at regular intervals. My opinion is that manufacturers make the seats based on what they feel to be an "average" sized rider, if the rider is outside of that size/weight range then comfort will suffer. I'm apparently outside of that range at 6'2" and 250lbs.

For me, ambient temperature seems to play into it as well. The hotter it gets, the sooner I get uncomfortable. I've used a variety of clothing to help with this and now wear ex-officio branded underwear for the best results due to no seams and good fabric (designed for hiking). The temps for the trip mentioned above were 95F (35C) so it was plenty warm.

I will say that the SMT seat is better than my Triumph seat was (in factory form) but it's not "fine" for me after 2 tanks of fuel in a row. I'd love to say the seat was perfect but I will probably add a sheepskin to it for my next long trip to see if it helps, if not then I will have to make some other mods.

Guy Jinbaiquerre
250cc
250cc
City: Tokyo
Year: 2009
Colour: Silver

Post by Guy Jinbaiquerre » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:54 am

milq wrote:
jonty wrote: For the record, the standard seat is fine.

If you arent comfy, I`d suggest you look at how you are sitting on the bike.

Then again, easier to blame the seat than admit we all need a few lessons on riding positioning etc?...eh?!
we'll have to disagree on this one. I just did a 500 + mile trip and I promise that I sat on the seat in every fashion possible, including standing on the pegs at regular intervals. My opinion is that manufacturers make the seats based on what they feel to be an "average" sized rider, if the rider is outside of that size/weight range then comfort will suffer.
Sorry, milq, but jonty has spoken! The stock seat is fine for everybody, even people with lower back problems like me. ;)

FWIW, I think I it wasn't just or even mainly the seat that hurt my back, but also (1) the width of the bike, and (2) the stiffness of the suspension. With the BMW I'm on now, the body of the bike is wider, so it's easy for me to grip the tank and frame with my thighs and support some of my body weight that way. And the rear suspension has a longer stroke and is much softer in its "comfort" setting than the SMT suspension was, even when I adjusted it to be as soft as I could make it. So for me, riding the SMT put all my body weight on my tailbone, and then positioned that weight over a harder spring. The seat wasn't cushy enough to offset those issues, but in fairness I don't know if any seat could have really done the job.

I'm not slamming the SMT, because I know people who ride it long distances and love it. I loved it too, and I really didn't want to let it go. But not every bike will be comfortable for every rider.
IBA #42657
SM-T Owners' Club Japan - http://www.smtocj.org
2000 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・2009 KTM 990SM-T (sold) ・1997 Honda X4 ・1995 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)
"Even the most amusing quotation gets old fast."

k1973
500cc
500cc
City: Austin

Post by k1973 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:27 pm

k1973 wrote:^ that's good to here about the results you got. They should be working on my seat this week. If all goes well I should have it back next week.

I'm hoping it all turns out well considering I already had someone F*%# it up. But Dane seemed pretty confident that they could fix it right. Since he was so helpful I went ahead and requested they put one of their covers on it.. you know, spend a little extra money with them for helping me out. Not sure if I've mentioned it hear before, but I've got a sargent on my Speed Triple and absolutely love it. So I'm looking forward to getting the seat back and giving it a go.

-k
Got the seat back last week. It was sitting at the house when I got home from work on Speedy. I immediately put Speedy in the garage, opened the box, put the seat on and went for a 45 minute ride.

:mrgreen: very nice. very comfortable. It probably would have been even better, but they had to work around the screwups.

total price from Sargent was $250.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics. It was early morning so the lighting wasn't the greatest either.
(click to enlarge)
Image Image Image Image
2007 Triumph Speed Triple
2010 KTM 990 SM-T

jonty
900cc
900cc
City: Downpatrick

Post by jonty » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:00 pm

Oh FFS guy, wise up.

If you have enough money to buy the wrong bike then spend a fortune modifying it , ultimately to decide it doesnt suit you, you must be a wealthy man.

I spent 3 years deciding what bike I was going to buy as buying its not something I can do frequently as I dont have the disposable income.
I dont want to have to factor another couple of grand into modifying a bike to suit me.
You are hardly the only middle aged man with bad back/knees ...its something all of us consider - that`s what test rides are about.

My point re people spending money to modify stuff on the SMT having more to do with the refusal to admit their own failings as a rider has much to do with personal experience - I`m hardly the world`s best rider and most bikes are significantly better than my ability to exploit them.
Most weekend warriors I meet are rather less likely to be honest about their own failings as riders.

Looks like a nice seat, but for those of us who have problems reaching the ground as it is, the additional depth of padding wouldnt be a good idea.

k1973
500cc
500cc

Post by k1973 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:55 pm

^ not sure if your panty tirade was directed at me or someone else. Don't really care either way.

jonty wrote: Looks like a nice seat, but for those of us who have problems reaching the ground as it is, the additional depth of padding wouldnt be a good idea.
But just to clarify (for everyone else that may not be a GOD like yourself and might be interested in upgrading their seat) that Sargent did not add additional seat padding. They replace the crappy foam that is/was already there with their Supercell Foam. It is a denser foam that I find does not produce hot spots like the overly soft stock foam. Both the local vendor and Sargent were amazed at how soft the stock seat foam is. May be fine for dirt and adventure riding where you spend as much time out of the saddle as in. But for touring it was not going to work for me. And this has been the only complaint I've had with the bike.

Stock Seat = hot spots on sit bones within 20 minutes, regardless of how I adjusted or sat. Numbness within 30-35 minutes.

Stock Seat with gel pad (local shop replaced some foam with a gel pad) = better, but the gel soaked up too much heat after sitting in the sun and it did not dissipate once back on the bike. 30 minute ride home from work was not enjoyable. :shock:

Stock Seat rebuilt by Sargent = Much more comfortable, no issues, no hotspots, no need to constantly change body positions after a 45 minute ride. And confirmed again with a 90 minute ride this weekend.

Yes, my mistake of letting the local guy talk me into a gel pad was my fault. It was a Lesson Learned. An expensive lesson.

-k
2010 KTM 990 SM-T

Guy Jinbaiquerre
250cc
250cc
City: Tokyo
Year: 2009
Colour: Silver

Post by Guy Jinbaiquerre » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:11 am

jonty wrote:Oh FFS guy, wise up. If you have enough money to buy the wrong bike then spend a fortune modifying it , ultimately to decide it doesnt suit you, you must be a wealthy man.
Uh... no, I'm not. I made a bad choice (for me), and I paid a price for it when I sold the bike used. Don't want to make a habit of it.
jonty wrote:I spent 3 years deciding what bike I was going to buy as buying its not something I can do frequently as I dont have the disposable income.
So, what did you ride for those three years? The bus?
jonty wrote:I dont want to have to factor another couple of grand into modifying a bike to suit me.
Where are you getting this "couple of grand" figure? A Renazco seat costs a few hundred bucks.
jonty wrote:You are hardly the only middle aged man with bad back/knees ...its something all of us consider - that`s what test rides are about.
True. And when you find a dealer that offers 500-mile test rides, let me know. Ergonomic issues don't always emerge on a quick spin around the dealership.
jonty wrote:My point re people spending money to modify stuff on the SMT having more to do with the refusal to admit their own failings as a rider has much to do with personal experience - I`m hardly the world`s best rider and most bikes are significantly better than my ability to exploit them. Most weekend warriors I meet are rather less likely to be honest about their own failings as riders.
Boy, you sure sound like a fun guy to hang around with. Please don't bother sharing any more of your wise words with me, because I'm really not interested. Cheers.
IBA #42657
SM-T Owners' Club Japan - http://www.smtocj.org
2000 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・2009 KTM 990SM-T (sold) ・1997 Honda X4 ・1995 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)
"Even the most amusing quotation gets old fast."

afaber1
125cc
125cc
City: Two Rivers, WI
Year: 2011
Colour: White

Post by afaber1 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:02 pm

A very inexpensive seat fix is to put a beaded mat or seat on the ktm seat(It fastens with bungee cords that go under the ktm seat) and then wear padded bicycle shorts that were mentioned by another gent. The beaded seat works extremely well in hot weather to get some airflow under your arse. The only disadvantage is it increases seat height a little so you short legged people may be tiptoeing a bit more! Then with the bicycle shorts pedal your arse on a real bicycle, lose some extra weight if you have it and you will be even more comfy on the ktm!!
FABES

Bootworks
Supporter
Supporter
City: Livermore California
Year: 2014

Post by Bootworks » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:15 am

Just a suggestion: If HEAT seems to make things worse, have a look at these: http://kontourseat.com/
No personal experience with them (I'm a devoted Sargent rider with their saddles on three of my bikes), but their concept is interesting and those who have them seem to like them. (So here is to Happy Ischial Tuberosities!) :lol:

JimmyDean
500cc
500cc
City: Stevensville

Post by JimmyDean » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:56 am

9,000 miles on my bike and all most every mile has been long trips from sun up till around 2200 = that seat has hurt since day one! Hurt, Hot, Numb! The bike is too fun not to ride so I just endure the pain, besides 25k on my SpeedTriple got my ass ready for this bike.

One day I'll get off my ass and buy a Renazco :mrgreen:
my rides:
2010 SMT (aka Tard)
2011 SX-F 350 (aka KaTyM)
2006 Speed Triple (aka the BAMF)
1981 Blonde (aka Yummy)

Bootworks
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Bootworks » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:02 am

JimmyDean wrote:9,000 miles on my bike and all most every mile has been long trips from sun up till around 2200 = that seat has hurt since day one! Hurt, Hot, Numb! The bike is too fun not to ride so I just endure the pain, besides 25k on my SpeedTriple got my ass ready for this bike.

One day I'll get off my ass and buy a Renazco :mrgreen:
Wow, so I'm not the only one that sees the putrid pimple on the pretty face! I ditched the factory saddle iso-facto, dropped three Benjamins on the Sargent before I went on a 3,700 mile 'walk about'; Buns are happy, wallet hurts, but British riders kept saying the factory saddle is the bees' knees...Tough hombres! Funny thing is, I ride into 'Nichols' Ducati' for a little chat, all proud of my new seat, and Mike, the service writer comes out all excited to tell me about this great saddle maker he just learned about, a little company nearby by the name of...wait for it...Renazco! :lol:

k1973
500cc
500cc

Post by k1973 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:40 pm

Hey all. Been out for bit.... riding. Just got back from a month long 8000 plus mile ride :mrgreen:

I wanted to give those interested an update on my Sargent. It was great for the first 2 weeks.... And then started to aggravate a nerve in my left hamstring. I switched bikes for one of the days and had no problems. Get back on the SMT and bam, instant stinging pain. I ended up stopping at a Cycle Gear in Spokane and pickup up a ProPad Gel seat pad so that I could finish the trip. It did the trick for the most part, but I still had some issues.

I'm going to hold off on doing anything about the seat for now. I want to give the nerve time to settle down and then give it another go. But and inspection of the seat appears to show that the foam may have broken down. There is now a sharp edge on the sides of the seat and the foam near the tank is hard and makes it uncomfortable to move up close to the tank.

If the seat is still giving me issues in a week or so, then I'll be calling Renazco.
2010 KTM 990 SM-T

Bootworks
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Bootworks » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:32 pm

Odd...4,600 miles in the past 6 weeks and my Sargent is butt-bliss. Have you thought of having them redo it? Good people to work with...

k1973
500cc
500cc

Post by k1973 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:37 pm

very odd indeed. I also have one on my Speed Triple and have had zero issues with it in the 4 yrs I've been running it.

Yes, I'm going to call Dane on Monday and have a chat with him to see what can be done. But if I don't hear what I want, then I'll give Renazco a try. Right now I'm going to let KTM rest for a bit and go flog the Speedy.
2010 KTM 990 SM-T

White Knight
675cc
675cc
City: Victoria
Year: 2011
Colour: White

Post by White Knight » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:52 pm

I think if i do anything to my seat it is going to be with one of the local upholstery guys. I like the idea of being able to go back with complaints, and have them corrected. I have dolled out for custom shop seats before, and truth be told, I find it can be hit or miss. I'm thinking if I go local, the guy can look at me on the bike, see how it fits, then make the seat to conform to me.

If that was my sargent that broke down after only 8000miles, I'd be a little miffed, and thinking about sending it back. I would think they might be interested in having a look at it.

falcon4
675cc
675cc
City: FAYETTEVILLE

Post by falcon4 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:39 am

Any good seat updates from you fellas?

I'm at 9k on the stocker and looking to upgrade.

k1973
500cc
500cc

Post by k1973 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:13 am

Wow. I thought I had given an update to my seat issues, but guess I put it on another forum or it just didn't post.

edit.... found it in a PM I had sent to another member
k1973 wrote:
I sent my seat back to Sargent and they agreed the foam had broken down. They claimed it was the first time they had ever seen it :roll:

They reworked the seat and sent it back to me. I had to pay shipping both ways. Since then I have only done short 1hr rides with no issues and the seat seems to be sorted.

However, if I had to do it over again, or if I have to do it again.... I'd probably go with Renazco. Yes it would be more of a dual sport seat and would raise the seat height, but I have never read a single bad comment about Renazco.

I originally went with Sargent because I have one of there seats on my Triumph Speed Triple and absolutely love it. The difference is the Triumph seat is one of their World Sport Seats where they make the pan and mold the foam to it. Whereas the SMT seat is using my stock plastic pan and they apply rolled foam to it and shape it.

I'm still debating on getting another another stock seat pan and sending it off to Renazco. Mainly to do a side by side comparison. My current Sargent is fine, but still something I'm considering.
2010 KTM 990 SM-T

falcon4
675cc
675cc

Post by falcon4 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:07 am

So I have to send them (Renazco) my seat?
I hate to stand for all my riding, lol.

k1973
500cc
500cc

Post by k1973 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:57 pm

So, has anyone else gone with the Renazco seat? If so, which version did you go with? Dual sport form or split level like the stock seat?
2010 KTM 990 SM-T

falcon4
675cc
675cc

Post by falcon4 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:16 am

I know one guy did but promptly sold the bike for other reasons.

falcon4
675cc
675cc

Post by falcon4 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:27 pm

no one else trying this seat?